Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt lesson >

quilt lesson

quilt lesson

Old 02-27-2011, 02:28 PM

I am new at quilting and know how to use the stitch in a ditchh,quilted two bed quilts that way. My DH says I need to take quilt lessons and learn more. I'm a very quiet and shy person and don't know if it is a good idea or not. Should I just tough it up and take lessons or not? what do you think?
Old 02-27-2011, 02:38 PM

I take alot of online classes. That way you can work at your own pace. No pressure.

Take the class. I teach quilting and there are always total newcomers (don't know how their own sewing machine works), those that sew clothes but want to learn quilting, and those like you who have already started but want to learn more. You have an advantage because you already know your machine, understand the 1/4 inch seam, and have confidence born of already "done that".

As for being shy, don't worry. Be early so you can introduce yourself to people as they walk in- for your benefit. You aren't teaching the class, someone else is so the attention will not be focused on you. You will have a great time!

Because you've already taken a class, you will feel less anxious about going to the store and talking to someone when you need help of any kind. You have your foot in the door, so to speak.

I say go for it. You have nothing to loose , worse case you have the same skills you started with. I can not really think of a good reason not to do it.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:41 PM

You definitely should. How else are you going to learn? And don't forget that the teacher is there to teach, so everyone else in the class is going to learn the same thing you are, which means they don't know how to do it either!
Old 02-27-2011, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

there are online classes at quiltuniversity.com but taking a class or two at a LQS would not hurt. and ask questions if need be, that is what you would be paying for and what the instructor is there for. good luck.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:42 PM

Taking a class will help you two ways - improve your quiltinng skills and, in coming out of your shell. In my opinion, it's hard to find an unfriendly quilter. Most are very eager to help, especially a newbie!! Just remember, when you take the class, you're there to learn but not necessarily to finish something!!!! I can't stress that enough.

I was very much like you about my first class. Did I have enough skills to even warrant taking up space in a class? Would the others just laugh at my attempts? Look down on my little Pfaff Hobby machine? How would I ever keep up?!!

Happy to say that all my fears were totally unfounded! :-) The others in the class were wonderful; happy, helpful people. They even complimented me on my little machine and how light weight it is; they had to lug their big Berninas up to the second floor classroom. Ugh! The only problem was me :-( nervous, rattled, tried too hard to keep pace with the others. Then, I realized, most of the others were experienced quilters and signed up for the class not only to learn a new pattern (which they probably could have learned on their own) but, more importantly to them, they came to be with other quilters!!

Now that I've been quilting for about 15 yrs, I'm now one of those more experienced quilters who come to class, mostly to be with other quilters! My favorite LQS is my favorite hang out spot. Best world I ever entered.

I really hope you can summon your courage and take a class. Go with no expectations other than to "get your feet wet" in this wonderful world of quilting. It will be a good move.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Banned

YES take a class. You will gain confidence.

Another thing you might do is to volunteer to be classroom assistant at a quilt show that has classes. Many need volunteers to take up tickets or distribute supplies. Then you get to sit in the back and listen.....I have been into quilting for 35+ years and do this regularily when one show comes to town. They usually don't want or need you to help technically but you sure learn a lot.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

Do it, what do you have loose?
Old 02-27-2011, 04:49 PM

We have a second home in RI and I didn't know anyone until I started taking classes at the local QS and not only do I take classes I'm now giving classes on certain techniques no one else was offering. Do it you'll have fun...Trust me quilters are friendly and helpful and don't judge...if anything we go overbd to help and encourage.