Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Quilt police could have got me for sure last night!

Can't help you on this since I hand quilt. Sorry!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ragqueen03 View Post
    Thank Goodness the quilt police were not around last night. Tried my hand at stitch in the ditch. My goodness you would have thought I was sewing under the influence! Couldn't do a straight line for anything. guess the old eyes ain't what they used to be! Now in search of a lighted magnifier to attach to sewing machine - any recommendations? I wish there was one that you could plug in and not use batteries - is there such a thing? Thanks!
    I feel for you! When I SD, I do it early in the day before I get tired. I have found late in the day or in the middle of the night I'm only good for straight lines or fancy machine stuff (NOT small tight stuff). A far as a light and magnifier go. I use the OLD kind that mount on the end of a desk (or sewing table). They plug in, but are big (use in fine computer work - QC stuff - jewelers use them). They move any way you want them & the arm is long. A lot of times they are at garage sales for a couple of bucks, but they are great. Because the arm is long you are able to mount out of your way, but still be able to use it in just the spot you want it. Mine is mounted on the right side of my sewing table, so it does not get in the way of anything I'm sewing or quilting. Good luck

I used to SID all the time, it was the only quilting I could do, but I agonised over the sections where I wandered out of the ditch for a bit. Then I found echo or shadow quilting where you sew parallel with the seam. It's wonderful! and much more forgiving of any mistakes. I can use my walking foot as a guide, and move the needle sideways to make a larger or smaller echo. (And I never quilt without quilting gloves -- it takes all the strain out of moving fabric and my hands don't ache from the effort.)
    Gspsplease

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gings View Post
    Why don't you use one of the built in stitches that is like an elongated S that looks good as a different approach to stitch in a ditch as it is meant to be seen.
    Jenny
    I agree. The serpentine stitch only adds to the look of a washed quilt. If you sew a little 'crooked' it doesn't matter because it doesn't show. Less stress too because you aren't so concerned about staying in the ditch or keeping a straight line. You just set your width and length to your choice (I always do a test piece first using the same fabric and batting), sew at a reasonable pace, and you have added character to your quilt. With the crinkly look of the washed quilt, you would need a magnifying glass to see where your stitches strayed. And who looks anyway?

Another way to get a good wobble stitch is to do the longest zigzag stitch you can and narrow it so that the zigs are only a couple of threads wide. It is like a serpentine but you don't get the tight stitches around the top.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I use an extremely fine thread when doing SID. Superior Threads "Bottom Line".
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    I learn something new everyday. I did not know there was a foot made for this. Heavy sigh. Onto Amazon. Thank you!
    Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.

I wear magnifying glasses to sew. Do have to lean in pretty close. I sew in short bursts so it's not a problem. Have always had a hard time stitching in the ditch straight.

Quilt police??? They are banished from all members of this boards homes!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone! i am going to try a couple of the stitches you all suggested on the other placemat. Figured they were just for hubby and me so it doesn't matter if they aren't perfect. And it is giving me practice. i gotta get these dang ufos under control! (that never happens though does it? lol)

Blog Entries
    Again i want to say thanks for all the suggestions. I have just came out of my girl cave and I have a table runner I pieced a long time ago 3/4 of the way quilted on top!!!!!I used a kinda "s" stitch on my machine and kept it center on the lines. its amazing how much it hides!!!!!

Try a glass of wine - it won't make your stitching any better, but at least you won't care!! (Oops I can hear the quilt police coming .......)
    So much quilting, so little time!

This does not have a magnifier on it but I recently saw a LED light that attached to the under side of your sewing machine throat and it is not battery run. You can look at it at www.sewbritesolutions.com

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts View Post
    I have a Pfaff so don't need the big clunky walking foot. I use a 4 MM open toe foot. You can see where the needle goes and can move the fabric in the right direction. Also have used a 'joiner' foot or now re-named SID foot. It has a blade in the middle that runs along the seam. That worked ok, but still a sight issue.

Good luck...
    I use an open toe foot, too. I like being able to see where I'm going. I have used SID foot, and it was fine, I'm just used to the open toe foot.

Blog Entries
    check out Nancy's Notions. Great products and prices
    Patski
    always learning

KLO
    Blog Entries
    I have something called a Magnistitch that is strictly a magnifier (no light) that is two pieces. One is the magnifier part and the other sticks on to your machine to hold the magnifier. You can ever buy extra mounting pieces so you can use the magnifier part on other machines if needed. Also, I was told a while back to NOT look directly at the needle when stitching but rather slightly ahead so you can see where you are going. (When you are riding a horse you are suppose to do that also.) That did help me. The SID foot would probably be a great help too. Also, it's easier and more accurate to stitch on the side of the "stitch ditch" that does not have the seam allowance underneath. Seems like you can sort of hide your stitching in that ditch rather than having it sit on top. Hope that makes sense!

Sorry for me chuckling, but I know exactly what you are talking about! I use a bendable bright light and an edge stitch foot. It has a thingy in the center that guides you right in the ditch.
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

Wobble stitch works Great. I also can't sew in a straight line

Hey, Ladies: I had the same problem but one of the members of our guild suggested that instead of stitch in the ditch do the fancy stitches on the sewing machine and it looks great; Use a different decoratiave stitch for each line or the same; it came out easier and looked better. Just a suggestion from the wabble line.

Quote Originally Posted by Gings View Post
    Why don't you use one of the built in stitches that is like an elongated S that looks good as a different approach to stitch in a ditch as it is meant to be seen.
    Jenny
    This is a good idea. Have used this and other decorative stitches. Really looks nice. I also love my stitch in the ditch foot.
    Peace is one of His greatest gifts.

It probably isn't as bad as you think. But I've just tried FMQ on my Janome and wow...it was really easy to actually do. I've only done SITD type of quilting before but this is so much easier. I mean, it isn't easy to get the stitches the right length, but the actual sewing...so much easier. Of course, I was only doing small blocks as well and not a whole quilt.

SITD isn't really as easy as some might think.

Wink I'm with you!

I know exactly what you mean. I tried, and TRIED to do SID but it always looked terrible. So I just use the presser foot as a guide and stitch close to the seam. At least it looks better. I think I would like to try a decorative stitch one of these days.

I gave up on the stitch in the ditch foot. Pfaff has a totally open toe foot and I can see where I'm headed better. The machine also has the built in walking foot. So using the lifter, sew slow, and needle down, I've had better luck.

Love the new 6 light LED strip that attaches to your machine -expensive but have an on and off switch and give off a lot of light

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2