Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt rescue questions.... >

Quilt rescue questions....

Quilt rescue questions....

Old 12-19-2012, 12:26 PM

Default Quilt rescue questions....

I came across a Grandmother's Flower Garden baby quilt at an antique store. The top is made up of 3/4" hexagons, all hand-stitched. The flowers are pink, white, and blue. The path is white. There is a pattern made up of 4 red hexagons evenly scattered throughout. It's gorgeous! However, it was bound (badly) with an orange/brown/white pattern. I took the binding/backing off today--it had been done "fold-over" and up to half of the outside hexagons were crumpled inside. The binding width ranged from 1/2 inch to 2 inches. Thankfully the hexagons weren't cut off. It needs a good pressing--and here's my question. I washed it by hand, once, when it was still together. There are a few yellowed stains on the white areas on the front. Should I wash/soak it again? If so, in what? I thought about oxyclean but worried that it would be too harsh. The fabrics look 1930's and are in good shape, with a little fading here and there. There are two separations I will hand-stitch before doing anything else. I figure pressing will set the stains, and I want to do this right.

My plan is to use a new batting. The original batting was 4 squares of diaper gauze stitched together. The original quilt was tied, not quilted. I plan to hand quilt it--or get it hand quilted. Ideas for patterns? I'm thinking inside the hexagons but they are really, really tiny! I'm backing it with premium muslin and binding it with a bias binding of the same. I haven't figured out how I'm doing that, given the irregularly shaped outside hexagons. I guess I'm thinking a very narrow binding, mitered as needed to follow the border.

I'm pretty sure the original quilter was not the person who bound it. The colors are so carefully chosen and the stitching is so tiny and accurate. The binding was put on with huge stitches, unmatched fabric, and major irregularities!!!

I'm open to ideas--heading off to vacuum up all the fluff that taking it apart generated.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:41 PM

It sounds beautiful. Can you post a pic? I think, for hexies that small, I might run stitching straight through the middle of each, along the paths. And maybe around each flower too.

Not sure about the stains - but I would put it together before I tried to wash it again if it were me. There are some homemade stain removers you should be able to find through google. Might be more gentle than oxyclean.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:07 PM

I wish I could help, but I have no clue how to fix any of this. I admire you for trying, and you will sure have a prize when you are done.

Dina
Old 12-19-2012, 04:05 PM

I agree with Kristakz that you should not wash it again until you have assembled it back into a quilt. You may be able to spot treat some of the spots to see if you can find something to take them out. If they are on the white, I would go ahead and try an oxyclean paste.

If the hexi's are that small it will have a very irregular boarder and will be tough to bind. Yes very narrow would be the only way to do it. Is the outer row all white path hexi's? If so I might try a colored binding if you could find a solid close to the pink or blue in the quilt.

As far as quilting, boy that would be alot of work to go around each piece. Maybe just around each circle of color and along the path. Should be close enough for most battings today.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:00 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Check out Retro Clean for caring for this quilt after it is quilted and bound.
http://retroclean.com/retroclean/

P.S. PM me if you'd consider me for quilting this for you.

Jan in VA
Old 12-19-2012, 08:30 PM
Power Poster

I second Retro Clean, and also the advice to not use it until after quilting and binding is finished.

Edit: Regarding binding, I would probably not try a narrow bias binding; this would be very difficult to do well, I think. There are a couple of methods for hand appliqueing the edges to a border fabric, then binding the straight border.

Last edited by Prism99; 12-19-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:30 PM

My LQS sold me something called, "Grandma's Spot Cleaner" and it works wonders. Hope it all comes out!
Old 12-20-2012, 07:04 AM

Retro Clean and Grandma's Spot Cleaner are both wonderful.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:35 AM

You could try this for the edges - it's a facing, not technically a binding, but I've done it and it looks very nice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwPe_84GBfY
Old 12-20-2012, 08:38 AM

I have not tried this product but have heard good things, it's called "Soak" and it's for delicate fabrics and quilts. You just "soak" the item and you don't need to rinse. I'm sure you can find it online. I have seen it in LQS's as well. I know that Elenor Burns has all her antique quilts hand quilted. I think it's a great idea to do that. I would love to see a picture of it when you can post one. I love GFG quilts.