Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt Shop Quest in the upper Midwest: OH, IN, IL, WI, MN??

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quilt Shop Quest in the upper Midwest: OH, IN, IL, WI, MN??

It's a balancing act every day with my dual passions: quilting and singing. I sing with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and have my computer set up in my quilt studio so I can rehearse and prepare for weekly choir broadcasts while I'm quilting.

I'm thrilled to get to go on my first tour with the choir in a couple of weeks to Columbus OH, Indianapolis IN, Chicago IL, Madison and Milwaukee WI, and Minneapolis MN, and it's my quest to find a quilt shop in/near each of those cities! Do you live nearby? Do you have a favorite quilt shop in those areas? I've been looking online, but I'd love personal opinions and suggestions to narrow it down to one shop to visit in each of these cities.

The Glass Thimble - 3434 N. High Street, Columbus, OH 43214. I happened to go when everything was 30% and had a GREAT TIME!

I am not sure if you are planning to drive far but i visited IN last year and found an amazing quilt shop in South Bend called Stitch N Time (way tooooooo much fabric to see), and the owner and the employees were very nice and pleasant. I spent hours there and went like three times.
    Have fun
    Faten
    Www.easyquiltingcorner.com

Work like you don't need the money
    Love like you have never been hurt

Blog Entries
    I think that is awesome. I love listening to tabernacle after conferences. We just leave the TV running. Love the movies and messages too.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

There are 2 shops in Indianapolis to see. Quilt Quarters on the north side and Back Door Quilts on the south side. Both are great shops.
    DonnaR
    Grammy to Isaiah and Ruth

Quilts Plus on the north side of Indianapolis, 1748 East 86th Street. It's a small shop with fabric stacked just about everywhere. Lots of batiks and also a 30% off clearance room. The ladies who work there are very friendly and helpful. South Bend is about 140 miles north of Indy.

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    It's not a quilt shop, it's a fabric store, but I would go to SR Harris in Brooklyn Park if I could go to only one in the Twin Cities.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

I visited this shop also. Missed the great sale, but had a great time looking around.
    Quote Originally Posted by michelleoc View Post
    The Glass Thimble - 3434 N. High Street, Columbus, OH 43214. I happened to go when everything was 30% and had a GREAT TIME!

My favorite quilt shop in the Mpls/St. Paul is http://www.bearpatchquilting.com/. Just a wonderful shop with lots of samples made up!

In Indiana, Yoder's and Lolly's in Shipshewana are the BEST! Plus, it's Amish country and you can get great foods and crafts there in town. I make a quarterly trek down there from Michigan, even if it's just to pet the fabrics. In Columbus, the Glass Thimble is great - in an old house, and rooms and rooms of fabric . Red Rooster Quilt Shop is also very nice. If you like more contemporary quilt fabrics, Quilt Trends in Worthington is great. They also carry a large selection of Kaffe Fassett fabrics.

Indianapolis:
    Quilts Plus, north side on 86th Street Huge selection
    Quilt Quarters, north side just off 86th north on Michigan, wonderful modern and new fabrics again huge selection.
    Back Door Quilts, 40 years old this month, civil war, batiks, wonderful crafts. On south side. Somewhat difficult to find, call for directions. There are two more between Indy and Noblesville. Always in Stitches and Quilt Expressions. Doable in one day with the others on the north side.

Downtown on Massachusetts Ave. is a new little shop called Crimson Tate with modern quilt fabrics and a great staff.

Indy would be a great shop hop all by itself.

The International Quilt Festival will be in Chicago June 21- 23. Any chance you will be able to attend?

http://www.quilts.com/home/shows/vie...estivalChicago
    "Be brave enough to be who you really are.

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    In the Columbus area, some of the best quilt shops are:
    Red Rooster
    48 Corbins Mill Dr
    Dublin, OH

Quilt Trends
    6155-J Huntley Rd.
    Columbus

Quilt Beginnings (2 locations)
    3409 E. Broad St. ( the better location)
    Columbus
    And
    6591 Sawmill Rd.
    Dublin, OH

Glass Thimble
    3434 N High st
    Columbus

Calico Cupboard
    74 Oak Meadow Dr.
    Pataskala, OH

I know someone already mentioned it, but it's worth mentioning again. I highly reccomend The Back Door in Indy. They have samples hanging everywhere, with the patterns right there. the staff is very friendly and helpful. Lots of beautiful fabric, very well organized. its one of my favorite Shops. The last time I was there, they were out of a pattern I wanted, they ordered it for me, and I received it, within a week of coming home. It's about a 2 hour drive for me, but Oh so worth it!!

When I go to Madison I usually visit Stitcher's Crossing. They have a nice selection of fabrics.
    http://www.stitcherscrossing.com/

If you have time, Waunakee is just outside of Madison. There is a terrific quilt shop called Mill House Quilts.
    http://www.millhousequilts.com/index.php

There is also a quilt shop called Quilt Beginnings in Columbus, Ohio as well as another called Red Rooster.

Sorry to repeat. I did not see the earlier post.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all this info, ladies!! I appreciate it! Maybe I'll see you there!