Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt show, I lived to tell about it >

Quilt show, I lived to tell about it

Quilt show, I lived to tell about it

Old 09-18-2011, 05:08 PM

A month or so ago I posted a picture thread about my first quilt show quilt. The show was this weekend and though it's been a rocky one, I survived. :)

There were a few problems with the ribbons being awarded and Saturday when the show opened I found my quilt with no ribbon. Such is life, I didn't let it bum me out. What did bum me out was the lack of category organization. There was no way to tell what quilt was in what category as they weren't hung in any order and their entry number was just a number, no letters denoting the category. The booklet just had a description of each quilt with again, no category. You had no idea what quilts yours were judged against. Some deductive reasoning helped me find a few that might have been in my category (I was in the individual/pieced category) but it was hard to tell if they might have been in the New Quilter or Youth category instead.

Anyways, long story short I get my judges comment card when I picked my quilt up today and to my surprise on the line titled "Award" it says, Hon. Mention. I asked one of the ladies if that meant I was supposed to have gotten a ribbon. She looked a little surprised and said, "Your quilt didn't have a ribbon attached?", "No ma'am." They're mailing me one. The rest of the comment card was as follows;

Visual Impact: "Strong Impact"
Technical Construction: "Excellent"
Quilting: "Excellent"
Additional Comments: "Love the touches of beads"

"Hold for machine quilting" was also wrote on the page. I guess maybe I was a contender for the Best Machine Quilting award? Unfortunately no constructive comments as to where I could have improved so I really have no idea where my quilt fell short and therefore only received Honorable Mention. I was actually really looking forward to seeing those. Apparently the judge did her job quickly and blew out of there leaving the ladies running the show with a lot of questions. Some ribbons changed places during the two days of the show and some quilts that had ribbons on Saturday, didn't have them on Sunday. Pretty hard to tell what anyone actually won. My "Honorable Mention" is wrote in a totally different handwriting than the judges comments. May mean nothing but with all the other problems it leaves you wondering.

Thankfully I know the way this show went isn't the norm for shows so I will be continuing to show. I have another quilt in the works and I think I will give Assorted Gems another shot at being judged.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-258835.jpe  
Old 09-18-2011, 05:12 PM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Well, it's a gorgeous quilt, and definitely deserves another chance. Sounds like chaos at that show. The next one will be better, and I predict at least one ribbon for you! :thumbup:
Old 09-18-2011, 05:13 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful quilt. You should be very proud of your work:)

beautiful quilt...thats sad about the confusion at the show with the judge and that you didnt get your ribbon yet.

Beautiful quilt.

That's an interesting story about the show. I don't have any idea how they do that stuff. It sounds like they just fly by the seat of their pants. Glad you are getting your ribbon.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:15 PM

wow. I'd be so proud of that quilt. For what it's worth - in my book that's a First place quilt. :)
Old 09-18-2011, 05:15 PM

A very beautiful quilt
Old 09-18-2011, 05:17 PM

What a beautiful quilt! Congrats for "Honorable Mention"... Did sound like chaos at the quilt show.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
wow. I'd be so proud of that quilt. For what it's worth - in my book that's a First place quilt. :)
absolutely! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 09-18-2011, 05:20 PM

Congratulations on your ribbon! I'm sorry your first judging experience was so confusing, but I'm glad you got some recognition, particularly since the quilt gave you such a scare when it bled.

"Hold for Machine Quilting" sure does sound like you were in contention for the best of award. Definitely show the quilt again - you'll get a whole different view.

Janet