Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilt Sold for $70,000

I say it is about time! How much do painters and other artist get? How about pro-sports players? It is nice to know that her quilt went for that price! Finally, she got recognized for a natural born gift she has, and it is one of a kind. Good for her! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    Quote Originally Posted by UglyCook
    Cool -- but I can't figure out why it took so many hours and why it was worth so much! Am I just tired and not seeing something???
    If you click on it you can see it closer up. It is covered in very intricate embroidery.
    oooooooookay -- hmmm My ex-MIL did one similar.....gosh, she gave it away....wow.

Imagine, per hour it would be: $2.33. When all that work is truly priceless.

I love crazy quilting (just a beginner) and totally relate to the taking so long to find another stitch pattern. That was a labor of love, so glad she held out for what she felt it was worth. It is difficult to part with something you have worked on for so many hours, stitching and agonizing over what to do next. She has inspired me to carry on with my current cq project that has been sitting idle for the past month.

all i can say is holy cow!!! I think that her work is awesome. But I don't think that I could ever think about paying that much for anything unless it was a house. that is just crazy. I think that her quilt is lovely but that price is just nuts.

Wow, that's an awesome story!

Quote Originally Posted by Crlyn
    :shock: :shock:
    I agree.

Cool -- but I can't figure out why it took so many hours and why it was worth so much! Am I just tired and not seeing something???
    As mentioned above, a lot of it is covered in hand embroidery and embellishments. The other thing she said was that it was entirely pieced and quilted by hand. There is no machine anything involved in this quilt. So I can understand the price with the work that was done.

Like she said, the original price was a realistic cost of labor and materials. She had not planned on ever selling it. The lady that bought it has been trying to purchase it for almost 10 years. Her family and her and her husband are huge collectors of artworks. Besides, if the purchaser is willing to pay the price, then it is worth that amount to her. But not to anyone else, but to her and that is all that matters.

Great work by the way. A really beautiful piece. I can really see how she would be able to use it as a teaching tool.

that is really nice that she got paid so well for her quilt. It really is a work of art with all the hand stitching that is in it. Whoever bought it considered it a piece of art like a painting or whatever so paid the appropriate price.

Blog Entries
    Wow!! Fantastic work, well worth the $$$..! Good for her!

Quote Originally Posted by QuilterChick

Imagine, per hour it would be: $2.33. When all that work is truly priceless.
    I am sure you meant 23.33 an hour! ;)

Correct me if I am wrong. Wasn't this quilt started by a Grandmother and finished by the Granddaughter? If so, then is it an "Antique". Along with the outstanding embroidery and the hours it took to have this finished I am estatic she got $70,000. This is a wonderful example of the time and expense along with patience and expertise it takes to complete any quilt. AND it is an award to each quilter and every quilter that their work is valued and worth it no matter the size, cost ease or difficulty. Great Job and I hope you smiled all the way to the bank.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I agree,C JO!!! The embroidery is wonderful but the finished product makes me dizzy!

I'm glad to see traditional women's art/craft be recognized and valued. We tend to undervalue our efforts, the quality of which this board demonstrates constantly. Like any art work, this quilt will appeal to some and not to others, and like other art, should reflect the value one buyer places on it. Most of us do our work out of love and for fun, but if they go on sale, we should make sure all that time and creativity are reflected in the selling price.

WOW!

Assuming 40 hour weeks, 2 weeks vacation for 4 years, equals 200 weeks equals 8000 hours.

$70,000 divided by 8000 hours is $8.75 an hour.

Or $17,500 a year in salary. If she only worked at the quilt for half time, its still only $17.50 an hour. That is a very small sum per hour for the innovation, expertise, skill and design, not to mention all the materials involved.

Blog Entries
    All the compliments in the dictionary are my replies to this quilt!

Wonderful!

Thank you for posting this story.

Quilter68

What a stunning Crazy quilt. The amount of work that went into it is absolutely amazing. Her hand stitching is very good. An amazing piece of art which will be around a hundred years from now and there will be women then talking about it.
    There is no mention of it being started by her grandmother. It does include Grandmothers fans.
    As far as the currency rate, as of today, $70,000 paid comes out to around $69,112 in US dollars not $69.00 as someone previously stated. By my calculations that is around $20.95 an hour. Its not so much about the money as it is about the healing that took place while she worked on it. Her marriage ended while working on it and she came to many realizations during this time.

Good for her.

Blog Entries
    i love crazy quilts BUT i make mine with strips around each block because when they're ALL one BIG crazy block it runs together for me. and BTW $70,000 divided by 3000 hrs = 23.34 doesn't it?

It wouldn't be my choice but I am pleased for the quilter

Quote Originally Posted by misseva
    i love crazy quilts BUT i make mine with strips around each block because when they're ALL one BIG crazy block it runs together for me. and BTW $70,000 divided by 3000 hrs = 23.34 doesn't it?
    Somehow I missed that she stated hours...and yes, it does...which is still not an outrageous 'salary' considering all the effort and materials....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen
    Somehow I missed that she stated hours...and yes, it does...which is still not an outrageous 'salary' considering all the effort and materials....
    i don't know what she paid for the thread where she lives but in the US it would be a LOT. so, no it's not an outrageous amount. when people ask me how much it would cost to 'do' a quilt i always tell them they don't have enough money. i give all mine away. if i didn't love the recepients and enjoy the process you couldn't pay me enough to quilt/embroider/etc.

Oops, your right. I was using 3300 instead of 3000. Thanks.

Awesome!!! No, it's not my personal taste either, but I looove to know that someone valued her work enough to buy that quilt at a very nice price!! The handstitching IS amazing, looking at the photos of individual parts of the quilt. Truly fascinating. Thanks for posting this!!

PJL
    Land of 10,000 Lakes and a gazillion mosquitos
    OK, I'm being slow here I guess. She did this whole thing by hand. So those embellishments that look like the kind I buy at the store and put on clothing and blankets, etc. are really done by her just with stitching? Am I understanding this correctly? If yes, that's amazing! Way to much work for me but Wow!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast