Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: quilt-as-you-go

  1. #1
    Super Member Ms Grace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,837
    Blog Entries
    28
    Does anyone do the "quilt-as-you-go" technique?
    Is it hard to sew all the individual blocks together??

  2. #2
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    I am doing my latest quilt in that tecnique and have found it very easy. Its not quite quilt one block at a time, I have done a row at a time, depends on the blocks. Found it very easy to handle under the machine to machine quilt it. Just keep enough fabric around the edge to sew the next block on to it. :D

    Elle

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    221
    I am making a King size quilt and am quilting as I go one block at a time. Beause of the size of quilt it is much easier to handle and you don't fight to get the bulk under your machine.

  4. #4
    Super Member Marcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    5,559
    I only did it once-on a rag quilt. It was fun and since I only like to piece and not machine quilt it was neat to have the quilt all finished!!

  5. #5
    Senior Member foxxigrani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    755
    I have seen the tutorail and putting those blocks together looks like it may be just a little complicated for a dunce like me. But then I am always afraid to do anything new. Its hard for me to just look, sometimes I have to be shown. But thank you all for expressing your opinion on it. I may just have to give it a try on some of my orphan blocks.

    Rita

  6. #6
    Super Member Joan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Pine Grove, California
    Posts
    2,846
    Quote Originally Posted by foxxigrani
    I have seen the tutorail and putting those blocks together looks like it may be just a little complicated for a dunce like me. But then I am always afraid to do anything new. Its hard for me to just look, sometimes I have to be shown. But thank you all for expressing your opinion on it. I may just have to give it a try on some of my orphan blocks.

    Rita
    Yes, I agree Rita----Inquiring minds want to know---just how do you put those quilted blocks together? What does the back look like when you're done? Rita and I would like to see pics if anyone has one.

  7. #7
    Senior Member foxxigrani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    755
    Yes we would lol.

    Rita

  8. #8
    Member Quiltinsolitude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Piqua, Ohio
    Posts
    67
    Yikes, I'm in the midst of one of these quilt as you go jobbies now. It's applique blocks and I've been concentrating on the hand sewing so far, but I did machine quilt one of the blocks and I loved doing it. I think I understand the putting blocks together method - if you can find an old Georgia Bonesteel lap quilting book it's the same method she taught (teaches?). We'll see how it goes.

    I can't actually start putting the blocks together until all the appliques are done so I can audition the placement - I'm using applique patterns but not a true quilt pattern so it will be place-where-most-pleasing.

    Anybody with a finished picture, front and back, please post!

  9. #9
    Super Member Minda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,618
    Here are some good sites with instructions:

    http://www.secretsof.com/content/624

    http://www.acornhillquilts.com/downloads/quiltasyougov2.pdf

    http://creativeribbons.blogspot.com/2007/07/quilt-as-you-go.html

    http://www.valeriecustomquilting.com/tutorials/QAYG_StringBlocks.pdf


  10. #10
    Super Member Ms Grace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,837
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by k9colliedog
    I am making a King size quilt and am quilting as I go one block at a time. Beause of the size of quilt it is much easier to handle and you don't fight to get the bulk under your machine.
    Do you quilt all the way to the edge of the block? :?:
    I'm curious ,how do you put all the blocks together?

    Thanks!

  11. #11
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Grace
    Quote Originally Posted by k9colliedog
    I am making a King size quilt and am quilting as I go one block at a time. Beause of the size of quilt it is much easier to handle and you don't fight to get the bulk under your machine.
    Do you quilt all the way to the edge of the block? :?:
    I'm curious ,how do you put all the blocks together?

    Thanks!
    You donīt go all the way to the edge, I leave about 1/2" around the border so that I can machine stitch the top piece to the next top piece and then I hand sew the 2 backing parts together .....Does that make sense, probably as clear as mud. Mine isnīt finished yet but will post a pic when I do. Run out of the backing fabric and have to wait till next week or maybe maņana to get some more :( Elle

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    221
    If you go to:- HTTP://www.quilterscache.com it gives you consice diagrams with instructions for hand or machine sewing and you end up with a very neat piece of sashing and no bulk to deal with. Give it whirl!!

  13. #13
    Super Member Ms Grace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,837
    Blog Entries
    28
    Thanks! I love that site: thequilterscache.com
    First time to visit there. :)
    I think I will try to put my blocks together without the sashing strips. I will try to hand sew the backings together with a small whip stitch.
    Is that what you are doing Elle?
    Looks like it would be less bulk. Atleast, hope I'm right! :?:

  14. #14
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Grace
    Thanks! I love that site: thequilterscache.com
    First time to visit there. :)
    I think I will try to put my blocks together without the sashing strips. I will try to hand sew the backings together with a small whip stitch.
    Is that what you are doing Elle?
    Looks like it would be less bulk. Atleast, hope I'm right! :?:
    No donīt have any sashing on mine and it works just fine. Just but the batting together to make it look like one piece and herringbone stitch the two pieces together.....no bulk then. Keep your material at the back so that it would normally run along the line of stitching in the ditch.

    I didnīt think of the way they used to quilt (in the wagon trains). No sewing machines, so when I read that in one of the links it made sense just hadnīt thought of them just sitting there quilting one block at a time. :D I am sure you will find it easier with the quilting I certainly have getting a whole quilt through the machine was just awful for me.

    Elle

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    221
    I am very pleased that you found it useful. On my next quilt, which will be Cathedral Window I will try to use the same method, but of course as you may know there is no sashing in between. Happy Quilting

  16. #16
    Super Member Ms Grace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,837
    Blog Entries
    28
    Thanks for all the help ladies! Can't wait to start quilting one block at a time. :mrgreen:
    I've tried to machine quilt an entire quilt "once" before, and I will not try that again. I don't have the patience for that. :roll:

  17. #17

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltinsolitude
    I think I understand the putting blocks together method - if you can find an old Georgia Bonesteel lap quilting book it's the same method she taught (teaches?). We'll see how it goes.
    I was just given one of her books for free! I haven't even opened it yet!

  18. #18
    Super Member Ms Grace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,837
    Blog Entries
    28
    Oohh! Lucky you. Hope you enjoy! :)

  19. #19
    Super Member sdeaaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,248
    Simply Quilts has a video from Nancy Smith and Linda Milligan
    http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt_988/text/0,,HGTV_22056_58466,00.html?c=6619 I hope this link will work for you .... if not go to HGTV, Simply Quilts.... videos and look up "Divide and Conquer" or Divided quilting.
    They do a great job and you can watch it over and over.... Quilter 1234

  20. #20
    Super Member Ms Grace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,837
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter 1234
    Simply Quilts has a video from Nancy Smith and Linda Milligan
    http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt_988/text/0,,HGTV_22056_58466,00.html?c=6619 I hope this link will work for you .... if not go to HGTV, Simply Quilts.... videos and look up "Divide and Conquer" or Divided quilting.
    They do a great job and you can watch it over and over.... Quilter 1234

    Thanks so much! This is a wonderful video!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

  21. #21
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter 1234
    Simply Quilts has a video from Nancy Smith and Linda Milligan
    http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt_988/text/0,,HGTV_22056_58466,00.html?c=6619 I hope this link will work for you .... if not go to HGTV, Simply Quilts.... videos and look up "Divide and Conquer" or Divided quilting.
    They do a great job and you can watch it over and over.... Quilter 1234
    Thank you so much for this video, its so easy to understand. I have been quilting a block at a time but just by my own idea, it seems to be working okay but this is better as you can use the quilt both sides.

    Elle

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.