Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Quilter's Newsletter magazine

I have suscribed to QNM for years and I enjoy the magazine. The covers are beautiful and the articles are great. It has patterns in it. I am currently making the 6 part mystery quilt that started in the December/January issue this year. I plan to keep my suscription. I enjoy that "advanced" patterns and designs. I read it cover to cover.

Quote Originally Posted by maryb119
    I have suscribed to QNM for years and I enjoy the magazine. The covers are beautiful and the articles are great. It has patterns in it. I am currently making the 6 part mystery quilt that started in the December/January issue this year. I plan to keep my suscription. I enjoy that "advanced" patterns and designs. I read it cover to cover.
    Also doing the mystery, am using the 30's prints(love them) although you could use any scrappy type of print.

Quote Originally Posted by greensleeves
    Quote Originally Posted by maryb119
    Also doing the mystery, am using the 30's prints(love them) although you could use any scrappy type of print.
    I'm using 30's prints too but I'm using lots of scraps. When I need llight blue, I've use 3 different light blue prints to use up my small scraps. 30's quilts are usually scrappy anyway, so I thought it would be fine. So far, so good.

I subscribed to it years ago but found I never made anything from it. I still buy it occasionally. It has good articles, quilter interviews and series-type patterns but other mags out there are better if you're looking for a variety of patterns.
    I'd def buy one or two and see if it's your cup of tea before subscribing :)

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    they always seem to have a **WOW** quilt on the cover.
    Yes they do - but rarely a pattern for it

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGurl
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    they always seem to have a **WOW** quilt on the cover.
    Most of the cover quilts are "one of a kind" show quilts. Do you really expect the designers to give you their patterns?

Quote Originally Posted by Cuilteanna
    I used to love it and subscribed for years, but when they changed their format a few years back to include more columnists and photos of beautiful quilts without patterns I cancelled what was left. It all depends what you want in a magazine!
    I know I just hate looking at photos of beautiful show stopper quilts.

QNM is my favorite quilt magazine. I don't buy it for patterns, but for ideas and inspiration. When I trimmed down on my subscriptions, QNM and The American Quilter (AQS) were the only ones I kept.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGurl
    They may not include a pattern, but they do include something from the quilt in the magazine. This issue they included one of the applique patterns from the cover quilt, and the issue before had directions on making the flying geese the quilter used.

I will admit I'm a bit strange - I like reading the ads. :)

Janet

Loved that magazine for years. I had subscription from 1979 until 1995. Lots of changes since Bonnie left and I buy from the bookstore when an issue interests me.

I subscribed to it for a year and did not renew. Some friends bought me several issues of it from the late 1990's yesterday and things sure have changed over the years.

I used to LOVE it, esp in the 1990's. Not sure when it changed, but not crazy about it now.

I took the original Quilter's Newsletter and like it a lot for many years. Then it became more of an art quilt magazine and I didn't find much that I cared for so I dropped it. They are expensive and it is not the only one I am not renewing.

Blog Entries
    I may be finding out soon. My sister is subscribing to it soon and she always sends me her magazines when she's done with them.

Blog Entries
    This is sounding a like it is getting a bit nasty. I thought this is to be a friendly sounding board, being a newer member of this site, this conversation is getting a bit scary.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiegirl
    This is sounding a like it is getting a bit nasty. I thought this is to be a friendly sounding board, being a newer member of this site, this conversation is getting a bit scary.
    no offense, but you need to not let things like that bother you. Message boards can be scary places. lol.

I had a subscription to QNM way back in the 80s (wow..I think I just dated myself! HA!) It used to have more patterns, but I think when they started Quiltmaker, that moved most of them over there. Try buying a couple and see what you think. I have Quiltmaker only now, but purchase others as I see something I like or when I'm on vacation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2