Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilter's Select Vs. Creative Grid Rulers >

Quilter's Select Vs. Creative Grid Rulers

Quilter's Select Vs. Creative Grid Rulers

Old 08-31-2022, 12:30 PM

Thank you all for your responses. I should have mentioned that I have tried all the grips and the grippy spray you mention and they all work to some degree. Some too much in fact, but I find that I still prefer the Omni Grid when I reach for one. I started out buying the cheaper brands thinking there could not be that much difference (a novice) then I bit the bullet and purchased my first Omni Grid, and that became my very favorite.

I really don't need more rulers. I know I can use a larger size square ruler as well to square a block up. I just love the convenience of having the perfect size square ruler to square up my blocks. (and my 80 yr. old eyes thank me) It just makes it faster and easier, and who doesn't like that? (except the pocket book)
Old 08-31-2022, 12:31 PM

Thank you all for your responses. I should have mentioned that I have tried all the grips and the grippy spray you mention and they all work to some degree. Some too much in fact, but I find that I still prefer the Omni Grid when I reach for one. I started out buying the cheaper brands thinking there could not be that much difference (a novice) then I bit the bullet and purchased my first Omni Grid, and that became my very favorite.

I really don't need more rulers. I know I can use a larger size square ruler as well to square a block up. I just love the convenience of having the perfect size square ruler to square up my blocks. (and my 80 yr. old eyes thank me) It just makes it faster and easier, and who doesn't like that? (except the pocket book)
Old 08-31-2022, 12:54 PM

I have and use both rulers. You ask about differences so here you go. My opinion.... so take it for what it is.

I love the creative grid rulers because they have such great 1/4 and 1/2 inch lines. With the added 1/2 inch on 2 sides and the clear numbers I find them so easy to read. But, they tend to slip on me and that's a problem.

I bought my 1st quilters select rulers a year ago so I don't have any issues with scratches and such. I do keep my rulers in a wooden ruler file so they don't touch each other. As far as slipping, the quilters select rulers are the best I've ever used. I find it a bit harder to read the lines and the yellowish coloring can be a problem with my old eyes.

I'm starting to convert to all quilters select due to the slipping issue. That's the most troublesome problem for me.
Old 08-31-2022, 01:31 PM

Quilter's Select are my preference. When I have to replace or add rulers, I'm buying only Quilter's Select.
Old 08-31-2022, 02:40 PM

I don't have either of these rulers, but I do find the clear ones with the black lines are easier to read then the ones with the yellow markings. I think these are omnigrid.

Are you cutting strips or trimming blocks? I don't use the same kind of ruler for cutting strips as I do for trimming blocks.
Old 08-31-2022, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

I am the type that will not make do unless I really have to. I did enough making do the first part of my life, I want nothing to do with it now. I want the size ruler to fit what I'm cutting. I may have a 6 1/2 ruler but when cutting a three inch strip I want a 3 in ruler. I save more money then the ruler costs by not having any miss cuts.
Old 08-31-2022, 05:52 PM

I use only Quilter's Select. After I bought my first one, I gave away all my Creative Grid rulers. I find QS so much easier to use - they don't slide and I don't have fight with them to make accurate cuts. They are worth every penny to me.
Old 09-01-2022, 10:00 AM

Creative Grids Big Easy is one of my favorite rulers. I bought a 6x12 Quilters Select, too sticky for me. Jo
Old 09-01-2022, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

Creative Grids Big Easy is one of my favorite rulers.

One of my favorites too. I showed it a guild new tools meeting and many thought it wasn't necessary to have. But when I took it to a sew day everyone wanted to borrow it to cut yardage. Now most have one of their own.
Old 09-01-2022, 02:13 PM

I have used a lot of different rulers. I have about all sizes of Quilters Select and I do not think that I will ever buy another Quilters Select ruler again. I was having trouble with my cuts being a little off. I took my husbands wood square and put it on the side of my Quilter Select rulers and none of them were square. The way I cut, the middle of the ruler was, it had a bow in it on all of my long Quilters Select rulers. I had 2- 8 1/2 by 24, 1-6 by 24. 2 6 1/2 by 24 or 24 1/2 and they all had a bow in the middle of both sides. I think the plastic is softer and it slowly scrapes off when the rotary cutter passes by on it. I am now using Creative Grid rulers with Grippy sprayed on them and am having not problem. I am very upset with the price that I gave for my Quilters Select rulers.