Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Books What are your favorites? >

Quilting Books What are your favorites?

Quilting Books What are your favorites?

Old 03-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Google Goddess

I was wondering what are your favorite quilting books. I went to Joann's today and found a cool book by Darlene Zimmerman "The Quilters Edge" Borders, Bindings and Finishing Techniques and I got to use a 40% coupon for it. I forgot my coupon at home so when I was at the fabric cutting table, I told the lady that I forgot my coupon and she reached under the counter and gave me a coupon, how nice. So if you forget your coupon, please ask at the cutting table

http://www.amazon.com/Quilters-Edge-...3&sr=8-1-spell
Old 03-28-2010, 02:18 AM

I like Eleanor Burns, I did a log cabin from her book and she made it easy to follow. I really wish she still had her TV show :( Trying to get the nerve to do the jewel box.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Tails
I like Eleanor Burns, I did a log cabin from her book and she made it easy to follow. I really wish she still had her TV show :( Trying to get the nerve to do the jewel box.
I like her too, but there are too many to mention for me.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:16 AM

You got a good one. I couldn't possibly list all my favorites, but Rodale Press puts out some great instructionals. They give you exercises that have really helped me with different skills.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:22 AM

I love all my scrappy quilt books, my Great American Quilts book, and all my fat quarter books. But I LOVE my "Joy of Quilting" book the best. It has so many beautiful quilts in it. I have a bunch of them marked to do someday. Also, "That Dorky Handmade Quilt" is just a riot. I like to read parts of that to my students to start a class off laughing! I like Eleanor Burns books and have a few, but I hate to buy a whole book just on one quilt. I never feel like I'm getting my money's worth!
Old 03-28-2010, 06:42 AM

Although my color choices are different, I have to say that my favorite books are those from Thimbleberries. I have lots of quilting books, but always seem to go back to these.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:29 PM

I've been using the Fons and Porters "Baby Quilts" book a lot lately. The patterns are easy and the quilts turn out so cute!
Old 03-28-2010, 12:58 PM

That just may be the book I need. My son is getting married in Sept. and he tells me they won't be waiting long to have kids. Plus my nephew just told us today, his wife is pregnant and I have another niece getting married Dec. 18 (I could kill her, so close to Christmas) and she also informs us she doesn't plan on waiting. Can you tell me which baby book it is? Thanks, Wendy
Old 03-28-2010, 01:47 PM

So far I've been able to find everything technique-related I've wanted either on this amazing board or by googling and you-tubing.

So, I like quilt books that aren't heavy on the how-to, patterns, let alone projects. I love my books because they inspire me and expand my horizons, way beyond where I was thinking before. (Way beyond what I can do yet. Things to aim for, play with.) Here are my current favorites and what I thank them for:

Masters: Art Quilts.
For delicious glimpses of what's out there and what people are making possible with fabric. Waaay beyond patterns, landscapes or blocks.

Paula Nadelstern, Puzzle Quilts; and Kaleidoscopes & Quilts.
For changing my way of looking at fabrics, fussy-cutting and fussy-piecing forever.
For opening my eyes to symmetry and the beauty of kaleidoscopes. (Ann Harwell's quilts are contributing to this in major ways for me, too. No, I can't make complex kaleidoscopes yet like I want to. I'll get there. Just been playing with OBWs on my way, much fun.)

Judy Mathieson, Mariner's Compass Quilts, Setting a New Course; and RaNae Merrill, Amazing Spirals.
For adding to my fascination with non-square-block based designing for quilts.

Connie Smith Siegel, Spirit of Color.
For giving me ways to play with color, and freeing me to seek my own personal sense of harmony with color in fabric. Yep, this one isn't even a quilting book. (I also liked Maria Peagler, Color Mastery: 10 Principles for Creating Stunning Quilts. It's great, but given a choice between the two, Spirit of Color is the one I'd keep.)

And of course: Julia Cameron, The Artist's Way.
For freeing my spirit to dare create.