Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilting cotton and muslin

Blog Entries

Quilting cotton and muslin

What is the difference between the two? Iíve googled and searched and cannot find anything telling me the differences, only that they are both cotton.

I suggest you go to the fabric store and look at and handle both fabrics. It's pretty easy to tell the difference that way.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    Muslin usually has a much lower thread count. But today, the words are often and regrettably used interchangeably. So like cashs mom says, you now have to go touch and feel.

I found some 108" wide muslin in my Hobby Lobby that looks and feels just like good quilting cotton. Maybe that isn't normal, but I'm happy with it and will certainly buy more.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Blog Entries
    That is why I am trying to find the difference, I came across some 108” muslin that seems similar to a pretty decent quilting cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by marjben View Post
    That is why I am trying to find the difference, I came across some 108” muslin that seems similar to a pretty decent quilting cotton.
    If you like the way it feels and looks, why not just use it?
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    I love using Muslin, it gets softer and softer with each wash
    Patski
    always learning

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
    If you like the way it feels and looks, why not just use it?
    That’s my plan, just trying to find out if there is any reason I would regret it before I do it.

The term "muslin" was originally applied to cotton fabric that was used widely in clothing and household linens. It was made in a variety of weights from very fine to quite heavy and utilitarian. Over the years it has come to be more commonly made in a variety of thread counts and mostly utility. But, as you are finding it can be made to be as fine a fabric as "quilting cotton". I use it quite widely and buy it in a variety of qualities. When I did garment construction I made a pattern up in medium (or less) quality muslin to use for fitting the garment. Then, I would use that for the pattern for cutting the fashion fabric. Now, I use it a lot for the backs of table runners, wall hangings, etc. But, I would not hesitate to use it in my piece work. Premium quality muslin is a joy to work with. Also, it is used widely for hand dyeing fabrics.

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    I love using Muslin, it gets softer and softer with each wash
    yes! Me too...soft as marshmallow! And less wrinkly...if good quality

Blog Entries
    Thank you to each for your comments. Quilterpurpledog - thanks especially for your information, it’s exactly what I was looking for, just an explanation of what it is.

I would definitely suggest washing it before using, so that you won't be surprised by shrinking at a later point in your project. But I do that for quilting cotton also.

Be aware there are all different grades of muslin. Use premium quality muslin and I’m sure you won’t regret it.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    Be aware there are all different grades of muslin. Use premium quality muslin and I’m sure you won’t regret it.
    I second this.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I have Moda extra wide in white and cream that is as nice as any quilting cotton. On the other hand, some of what we sold at JoAnn's when I worked there was thin and rough. Washing?? Of course. Last night I started to cut binding with two pieces of the same fabric - one washed, one not. There was an inch difference in the width. That's a lot in 40+ inches. Needless to say, I washed the second one. Timeless Treasures Fantasia, so not an inexpensive fabric.

Blog Entries
    I use muslin a lot and there are many that are extremely good! It is not all loose woven and see-thru. Kona Premium is one of my favorites
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie