Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilting Funny

Quilting Funny

My husband, after being married to me for 26 years, knows there are certain pet peeves regarding quilting. One I can't help but cringe at is when someone calls a quilt a "blanket".

Today we received a thank you note from one of his siblings to whom I gifted a quilt for Christmas. She wrote, "Thank for the blanket!..." My husband got a hearty laugh out of that. It's a good thing we love our family.

What funny little quirks do you have in regards to our craft?
    “Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.” ~Scott Adams

Piecefully,
    Lisa

Lol, my dad called them blankets too. I started calling them blankets too when I was around him (with a smile, of course).
    Emily

Blog Entries
    When I tell people that I am a quilter and they repy with "Oh you do crafts!" - I reply "No, I'm a textile/fabric artist"
    Deb

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    Why do we cut big pieces of fabric into little pieces of fabric only to sew them together to make a large piece of fabric.......
    Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.
    Edmund Burke

My mother was a quilter and my dad was the typical man when it came to quilting. When I would go home to visit, mother and I would do the quilting bonding thing. Dad saw us cutting pieces one day and shaking his head he said, "Now she's got you cutting up fabric and sewing it back together."
    Jan

We are a peculiar breed in other people's eyes I guess! I once bought the book "Help! I'm Married To A Quilter" for my husband. It was a humorous and enjoyable read.
    “Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.” ~Scott Adams

Piecefully,
    Lisa

I also visibly cringe when someone refers to a quilt as a blanket. Sometimes I correct them and other times I just let it go. But my reaction is the same as when I hear fingernails on a chalkboard.

Mine is when someone says material instead of fabric. I don't correct them but I say ugh to myself.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I too say "ugh" when I hear material versus fabric, or blanket versus quilt. Besides quilting, I crochet a lot of afghans. I have the "ugh" factor when I hear afghans refereed to as blankets!

Some of us grew up calling it material so it tends to come out at unexpected moments.

I think the reference to 'material' comes from growing up with a seamstress. I never heard my mother say that she was going shopping for 'fabric' for a dress--it was always material. But I did here her talk about 'curtain fabric'. Don't know what the difference was in her eyes.

Every time my DH says something about the amount of stash I have, I want to march him out to the woodshed (yes we have one and it is filled with oak and maple and walnut and goodness knows what other pieces that will someday become lovely furniture) and point out the amount of 'firewood' he is storing.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

My brother texted me that he loved that "thing" I made him
    He's adorable- clueless about quilts!

Ginger K- your woodshed story is hilarious!!!!!!!!!!

It's a minor cringe really but my inner spell checker wants to scream when someone puts "boarders" on their quilt. I always picture the guy you rent a room to climbing onto your quilt center. Now if you want to create a "border" for your quilt to separate it from other segments or the edge I'm fine with that.

I use to irritate my sister-in-law when I kept calling it a bobber instead of bobbin.. Innocent mistake at first...now I do it on purpose.... Hehehe..
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Gay
    Blog Entries
    Don't know why but I cringe when people talk about 'setting' pieces instead of 'set-in', which is a seamstress' term. It probably started due to a teacher not pronouncing the words correctly or the student not listening.

Also I used to think quilts as I know them now were 'glorified' blankets, as quilts in my younger days were the poorer persons' doonas, filled with shredded cotton threads - and boy they were heavy when washed and wet.

As the saying goes, " A rose by any other name...."
    I grew up going to "House of Fabrics" so saying fabric is not a concern. My grandmother always said she thought I was crazy to cut up fabric only to sew it back together. Her mother was a seamstress but my grandmother was not big on the domestic scene.
    I don't care if people call my quilts a blanket - I would be thrilled just to get a thank you note.

Words are interesting and so are the perceptions of them. That is so true of material vs. fabric. I prefer to use 'fabric' for quilting but understand the use of 'materia'l. My husband calls my quilts 'blankets' but I can live with that because he thinks they are' pretty blankets'. He grew up with that concept-grew up in a family of quilters-there was friendly competition among those ladies as they made their' pretty blankets'. I just smile and enjoy his comments.

Quote Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
    Some of us grew up calling it material so it tends to come out at unexpected moments.
    That's true. I catch myself doing the same thing.
    Linda J.

My pet peeve is when people assume all I quilt is heirlooms. No, no and NO! My quilts are to be used, loved and functional. I will never be a heirloom quilter.

Blog Entries
    Funny quirks? Hmmm...

I find it amusing when my friends have seen my new sewing studio and ask why do I need three sewing machines? Obviously, they don’t sew. LOL
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

As with a lot of words, they change in meaning as time moves along. Fabric/material. I remember when a quilt was covered by a bedspread. Quilts were strictly a utilitarian thing and made use of scraps of fabric (material?). Now it's the bedspread! And remember when chenille bedspreads went out of vogue? Nowadays it's "cool" to actually make it!

Now, what's the difference between a quilt and a comforter? We don't hear the word comforter much any more. My idea is that a comforter has a thicker batt and is tied, not quilted. What do you say?

Quote Originally Posted by maryjane View Post
    It's a minor cringe really but my inner spell checker wants to scream when someone puts "boarders" on their quilt. I always picture the guy you rent a room to climbing onto your quilt center. Now if you want to create a "border" for your quilt to separate it from other segments or the edge I'm fine with that.
    YES!!!

My late FIL called them blankets and sometimes even rugs. But the worst was when I had a brown wool quilt top laid out on the floor and someone actually walked on it like it WAS a rug!! no damage done though.

What's wrong with calling fabric "material"? I see it in several definitions on an internet search. What am I missing?

ma·te·ri·al: a textile fabric: material for a dress.

• Textiles, sometimes referred to as "material"

• cloth or other fabric

Since this came up many times in this thread, I have to ask. When did "material" become "fabric" actually? It was "material" when I took home ec in 6th grade. I didn't get extremely involved in sewing again until about 5 years ago and was surprised that it's now called "fabric". Can someone explain the difference and why the terminology changed?

To me, there is no difference between fabric and material. It may be how and where we were raised. Tomato, tomatoe, potato, potatoe. it's all the same. Nothing to get my panties in a bunch!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast