Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilting Labels on Quilts you Gift.....

Blog Entries
    I never did put quilt labels on my quilts, BUT, I just finished one for my granddaughter, and put a small embroidered label made with backing material with her initials and the year. I don't feel comfortable putting my initials on the quilt,well, it is a gift. I put it on the top side near the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    I have never put labels on any of my quilts I gave to family or friends. I think I will make them up and sew them on as I visit them.... Never thought about it's meaning until reading on the board. Does everyone do this?
    My sis has n embroider machine she has sitting and not using. Well, I have a good use for it. She is going to teach me how to use it. It has a whole wall of thread and everything needed. Something new to learn.

Is it important to label our gift quilts?

I always put labels on the quilts that I gift. It was suggested to me to put who it is to, who it is from, the date and city and state, and any info about the occasion such as grad. anniv. etc. The lady that suggested this was in the habit of purchasing old, old quilts. The ones that were the most interesting to her were the ones that had some of that info. on them.

Our church quilt group puts a small label on the back of our quilts and walker bags. Pastor recently had an email from out of state about one of our walker bags. This lady got one on a walker at a second hand shop. She thought we should know how nice it is and that when she is done with the walker she will share it and the bag with someone else.

I think its important to label your quilts because 60 years from now I want whoever ends up with my quilts to know how old they are, who made them and for whom I made them......old quilts can be quite expensive, either buying or selling, dates & places & names makes them more valuable.

Years ago I was involved in a quilt documentation project in my county. We were always thrilled when there was a label on writing on the quilts. The information provided was priceless. Since I belong to two guilds I have gotten in the habit of putting a label on the back of at least my bed size quilts. I now own two embroidery machines but before I make a label on one of them I actually use permanent markers to write on the back of the quilt if the fabric is light enough to be able to see. I figure if I mess up then I can sew a label over top of the mistake. It also means that if someone were to steal the quilt they would have to cut the labeled part out.

I had some small ones made that say" handmade especially for you by Stephanie" and i sew it on the backside bottom corner.

I always label my quilts using a fabric permanent marker. History is important.

I also label my quilts to my friends and family. I made one for my daughter to commerate the buying of the lot for their lake home. They had a picture of the lot before the house was built on it. I scanned that into my computer and put it on a printable label and sewed to the back of the quilt. She loved it and my son in law was so impressed with the quilt and the label.

Blog Entries
    I always put a label on all my quilts,whether I keep them or give them as gifts. If a gift,I put the name of the quilt,wheo it is to,the date and then made by me. It gives the history of the quilt. Now that I have relocated to oklahoma from Texas, I even put the county that I live in.

I do it for two reasons--to document my quilts for posterity, but also because it allows me to put a special message on the quilt for its recipient. I find a lot of quilty sayings online, but it also documents a special occasion in the recipient's life. Also, because my quilts often go to a long arm quilter, I feel better acknowledging the name of the quilter. It's how I made peace with not doing it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet My
    You should label all of them.... How many antique quilts have you seen showcased saying "Quilter Unknown"?
    Ditto!! I label everything

I don't label my quilts. I don't feel I need the recognition. I just give them to people and they know who I am and if they don't my name won't mean anything anyway.

Blog Entries
    I do like Shelbie & use Bounce sheets to turn it for applique is not my thing. I try to use same material used in the fromt & make a small pieced block to sign on info for the back of the quilt

community benefactor stitchofclass2's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It is my understanding that it is important to put the name of the quilt and date made. Anything else is a personal thing.

Oh, please label, even with just your name (made by) and date. I have a quilt my grandma hand quilted and hand pieced, probably in the 1930's but I have no documentation. I love it to death, but would have loved to know when she made it. I have added a label with what I know, but it is pretty limited. :cry:

I try to put labels on all of the quilts I give to family and friends. The donation quilts have labels put on by our guild. For my own labels I print them out on the Tshirt transfer paper. Then I can iron them onto fabric. They'll last much longer than the labels written with permanent ink. They also are much neater and more legible.

You can also print labels out on fabric. However, if you do that you need to use clear fingernail polish or some other clear fixative and go over the printed areas. That will make the printing more or less permanent.

I don't put labels on the quilts I give. It is not important for me to have them remember who gave them the quilt. But because my name is Cathy and I go by Cat, the lady that does my machine quilting takes the time to put a reclining cat somewhere in the design. Kind of like searching for Waldo and that person seems to like to check to find the cat. That person is the only one I care about, not the next one down the line who owns it by whatever reason.

I used to not think so...but a friend of mine told me that a label is a MUST.

Mainly - the person you gift the quilt to will look at that label and it will refresh their memory as to the time you took to make it for them. And if the quilt ever is lost, you have something to identify the quilt.....that label is vital.

Something that hit me while typing this answer....I decided one time to make a quilt for a dear online friend. We emailed each other daily for 4 years...sometimes 3 or 4 emails a day. She died about a year ago. As we're both quilters, it didn't cross my mind to make her a quilt until someone else said a prayer quilt would be nice for her. She discovered she had cancer and was going thru surgery and then chemo. I quickly made her a prayer quilt and sent it to her.

Never think another quilter friend wouldn't need a quilt from you....that quilt made her so very happy.

Yeah, I tend to wander off the path many times when I respond to a question.....

Yes, I label all my quilts that I gift.

Quote Originally Posted by catmcclure
    I try to put labels on all of the quilts I give to family and friends. The donation quilts have labels put on by our guild. For my own labels I print them out on the Tshirt transfer paper. Then I can iron them onto fabric. They'll last much longer than the labels written with permanent ink. They also are much neater and more legible.

You can also print labels out on fabric. However, if you do that you need to use clear fingernail polish or some other clear fixative and go over the printed areas. That will make the printing more or less permanent.
    I did not know that. Good info!

Quote Originally Posted by scaroca
    I don't label my quilts. I don't feel I need the recognition. I just give them to people and they know who I am and if they don't my name won't mean anything anyway.
    I don't think of the label as being for my personal recognition. I do it as a service to others who may want the information in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by scaroca
    I don't think of the label as being for my personal recognition. I do it as a service to others who may want the information in the future.

Blog Entries
    I always put a label on my quilts that I give away. I try to say something meaningful for just that special person. Also put block name, my name and date.

I always label my quilts. I put the date I worked on it, the person it's going to and why - sometimes it's a long story, sometimes very short. Personal ones have a lot of meaning if you tell a story on why you made it. You can type up what you want on your computer and print it out on photo fabric paper. You can add a picture too. If I make a quilt for a client, then I have them design the label and personalize it, but I always sign it myself either in a small corner or the bottom in small lettering as to not take away from the personal message. I blind stich it to the back on the bottom.

Labels don't have to be fancy, mom used a fabric pen and muslin on my blue log cabin quilt almost 20 years ago.

I was told that a quilt was never really finished until you signed the back. I have always put a label on the backs of my quilts. I also take a picture of the front and back of the quilt, put the picture a few scraps and the name of the person I made the quilt for. I will also write alittle something about why I made that pattern, if it was easy or hard and what it meant for me to do this for the person receiving the quilt.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast