Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting on a machine >

Quilting on a machine

Quilting on a machine

Old 09-18-2011, 04:04 AM

All good advice here. Whatever you do, keep quilting. It doesn't matter if it's basic blocks or the most extreme art quilt. Just keep doing it.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:11 AM

Ivnest in Instructional DVD's over books...Carol Doak has a great PP'ing and Fons and Porter have everything...I'm a person who needs to see it done versus reading how it's done.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:39 AM

Thanks ya'll!
Old 09-18-2011, 08:54 AM

Start with something small such as cushions or potholers and them move up to a baby quilt. If you have to rip out quilting lines you won't be overwhelmed. Give yourself enough space to spread out your project and get yourself seated comfortably. Pin or baste your project really well before you start to quilt. I like to work in sections so I put in one horiontal and one vertical line of stitching to divide my projects into quarters. Pick a simple pattern such as cross hatching, stitch in the ditch or outline quilting. A panel makes a great practice piece and can then be used for a baby quilt. Don't expect perfect results at first. This is a new skill that takes time to learn.