Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Which quilting magazine?

Blog Entries
    Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting
    Mavis

I buy Fons & Porter, Better Homes and Gardens American Patchwork and Quilting, McCalls Quilting, Quilts and More, and Quilt Magazine. I glance through them in the store and only buy them if they look "interesting" to me. I no longer subscribe to them ' cause when you subscribe for a year, you barely get your first magazine and they're already sending you notices that your subscription is due. That irritates me as it is too hard to keep track of when each magazine is actually due. Plus they were usually on the store shelves before I got hem inthe mail when I subscribed.

I still subscribe to BHG American Patchwork & Quilting and McCall's - they seem to have more patterns I'll ACTUALLY make ! I still get Fons & Porter too but a lot of theirs seems rehashed now.
    Quilter's Newsletter is great if you want mostly articles & quilter bios. Quiltmaker has a lot of kids & baby patterns. Check them out online before you decide ...

Primitive Quilts is wonderful if you like prims and wools etc, it's as good as a book. Also several new Modern quilting mags are out now for modern quilt lovers ...

and I agree with aborning, often stores have the mags before they come in the mail ?? I'll see them on the shelf and get irritated that I haven't received MINE yet !
    Last edited by TexasGurl; 06-01-2012 at 08:22 AM.

Quiltmaker, Quilters World, BHG American Patchwork, easy quilts. But I'm probably going to let them go when they expire as there's really nothing new, just rehashing the same patterns with new fabrics.

I currently get both the Fons and Porter Love of quilting, and The Quilter Magazine. I am trying to ignore all the other ads because magazines tend to pile up! I love The Quilter because many of the featured quilts are in my taste style and often the are designed by my LQS. F & P has some good instruction sections, although they tend to promote their own special rulers etc. I like to browse them both to get ideas, but now I'm gettIng a lot of those right here on this Board!

I like magazines that teach technique vs. patterns. I've subscribed to Quilters Newsletter and McCalls, but I will not renew. I recently subscribed to Machine Quilters Unlimited because it is full of techniques on free-motion quilting, which is what I'm trying to learn.

McCall's Quilting, American Patchwork and Quilting, Fons & Porter. I'd get them all if I could!! I know they're expensive, I know I can never make everything in them, but a girl can dream can't she?? I'm a before bed reader, so I keep a stack in my room and older issues become new again!! Who remembers what you read when you're half asleep? And as my skill level improves (ever so slowly) patterns I never dreamed possible become "maybe's! These three seem to have varied skill levels, a variety of techniques, and really pretty pictures. Yes many ads, but they are also inspiring. Good luck choosing! Its hard!

Are you referring to Quilting Arts magazine or The Art of Quilting? I can't find one called Art Quilt.

My quilt guild accepts magazine and resales them for $.25 each or 5 for $1.00. Often people take them home and bring them back so that others can buy and read and/or use them. Granted a lot are old magazines, but still, a pattern is a pattern. Some only keep their magazines a few months before donating them. i stopped almost all except Fons and Porter, and I may stop them. With all the free stuff on the internet and the magazines from the guild, I don't see much point in subscriptions. Besides, where do you keep them all?
    Happy sewing and quilting,

Janet

I, too, have let my subscriptions play out, but my favorite was always "Quiltmaker". However, now, I find most of my patterns and information on the internet. No need for me to collect the paper copies. If I get too hungry for the "real deal", I pick up a mag at Joann's.

I love the Primitive Quilts magazine...there is a great variety of projects within each issue....it really is like getting a book. I first subscribed for 1 year, but then renewed for 2 more. I do not subscribe to any other magazines at this time, but occasionally buy the Quilts and More magazine, and buy the Quilt shop series magazines. Otherwise, a magazine here and there, but there has to be several things in the magazine I really like before I will buy it....which is rare. But once in a while there is a magazine I only like 1 or 2 things that I do feel I just have to have....and rationalize it that it still most of the time is less than buying a single pattern...most of those now are like $9.00 each.
    Last edited by patchsamkim; 06-02-2012 at 06:34 AM.

I, too, used to get a few magazines every month. But let them expire. I find so many inspirations and help on this board the internet and none of it takes of any room.

My Favs are Quiltmaker, Better Homes & Gardens American Patchwork, and Mc Calls Quilting. I do not care for Fons & Porter and Quilters Newsletter.
    pat design

I'm currently subscribed to Better Homes and Gardens American Patchwork & Quilting. I have used some of the patterns in a few of them, and just love getting them to look at.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I have bought many different magazines but I was introduced to the Quilters Newsletter 30+ years ago and still buy it.

I "joined" AQS, which means I get American Quilter. Just scanned through a recent issue from my coffee table, and realized I like magazines more for the stories than the patterns. However, I love going through a stack of old ones for new ideas when I have some scraps to use up. I really miss Quilter's Home, the one by the guy who was funny and snarky, and very different from the usual. Considering F&P, but need to look at one. You can get everything on the net, but the problem with sitting down in front of the 'puter is it sucks your day away, as it's doing right now when I should be doing more cleaning! Sometimes you just feel like reading a magazine. I'm going to see if my guild is interested in that exchange idea - I really like that!
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

American Patchwork and Quilting is my favorite. I let Love of Quilting, McCall's and Quiltmaker expire just recently because I found no quilts that interested me in them for the past 2 years. However, being a longarm quilter, I subscribe to Machine Quilting Unlimited and On Tract and read those over and over again; put them aside for a few months, then pull them out and read again - Love them!!!

Blog Entries
    have had access to or a subscription to Quilters newsletter since the late 70's (yes B&W)

a friend recently gave me an extra copy of American Quilter and I have really enjoyed it.

I like McCall's the best, but there is always a good pattern in almost any quilting magazine!
    Rilène

My mother gives my 3 sisters & me the BGH American Patchwork & Quilting Mag. I really like that one, but I find myself buying the McCalls & The Quilter mag also. So I now have a 2 yr sub. to McCalls & am thinking of getting the Quilter also. Love the mystery quilts they sometimes have.

I have had a couple of different ones, but have settled with McCalls. They feature quilts for all abilities. I have sewed for years, but only quilting for 1. This mag always has at least one I can do and usually more. The others often have only quilts for advanced quilters. Instructions are good too.

I bought an Art Quilt magazine last month and love it. Not sure if I am going to subscribe yet but it gave me a lot of new ideas. I would love to start dying fabrics.

Is this the same as Quilter's Art Magazine?

Quote Originally Posted by liont View Post
    I flipped through a sample of Art Quilt online, and I was drooling. Anyone subscribed to Art Quilt? Do you go through the main website or through 3rd parties like Amazon? Prices are better at third parties sites, it seems. But I am wary about garbage of flyers that jam your mailbox.

Blog Entries
    I like McCalls Quilting but my favorite is probably American Patchwork. Quilters Newsletter used to be really a good one for learning if you're new to quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by pjamerican View Post
    I bought an Art Quilt magazine last month and love it. Not sure if I am going to subscribe yet but it gave me a lot of new ideas. I would love to start dying fabrics.
    Yes, yes, not so much for direction. More for inspiration and ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by KathyPhillips View Post
    Is this the same as Quilter's Art Magazine?
    Apologies., it is Quilting Arts Magazine.
    This is the one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Quilting-Arts/...8666771&sr=8-1
    They do have past year's issues in CD format - $19 for a year, 6 issues.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast