Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Mags and What Inspires You? >

Quilting Mags and What Inspires You?

Quilting Mags and What Inspires You?

Old 05-16-2008, 08:10 PM

Hi ALL!!! I was just wondering what quilting magazines everyone gets and what they like or dislike about each one. I get three; Quilter's World (love the pictures and the easy to understand directions. They also have different techiques that are easy to follow) Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting (They have a lot of neat tips for quilters) and McCall's Quilting (Like the new ideas for quilts and different types of quilting patterns.) I just subscribed to Quilt Maker cause they have a lot of little projects to make and they give you ideas for the quilting of each project. I also pick up different quilt mags that have projects I would like to do. (might not do them but I am inspired) :lol: I have a LOT of magazines! Just need a place to put them untill I get around to looking for something new to do. Anyone have a favorite? I personally like them all! :lol: :lol:
Old 05-16-2008, 08:21 PM

Hi...Love quilting mags and sewing/crafting ones, too. Fons & Porter is my favorite by far. I have some McCalls, Threads, Sew News, Sew easy, The Quilter, Quilt, Quilter's world, and a couple of quilts & More, Home Companion Mary Engelbreit & a couple really cool issues of Australian Patchwork & quilting.

I get them for different reasons but for the most part, I'm looking at the projects included in the issue and the patterns included.

In all fairness, I didn't buy each one...I trade back and forth with my mom. I can't get enough...if only I had more space in my sewing/laundry room.
Being more organized might help, too. LOL.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:58 PM

I love my Quilt magazines! I subscribe to: Quilters Newsletter, Mccalls Quilting, Quilt Maker, Quick Quilts (by Mccalls), Quick Quilts (by Quilt), Love of Quilting,and American Patchwork and Quilting, Whew!!! I used to get Quilters World but I would only recieved half the issues so dropped them and American Quilter but just wasnt thrilled with it. Then I buy what ever catches my eye at the news stand. I have hundreds of magazines! I also get Quilt lovers Favorites book in the mail periodically, If I dont have enough inspiration to last me a lifetime, I think there is a problem!! :roll:
Old 05-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Power Poster

I only subscribe to Fons and Porter, but I go to the library and I check out lots of books on quilting..... If I find one that I really like then I go online to buy it. I get lots of inspiration here looking at everyones pictures :D I also love to surf the net for quilting inspiration, also.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:29 AM

I get Fons and Porter and McCall's, but also like looking on the net at patterns. And of course all the wonderful ideas and hints I get here.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:46 AM
Banned

Right now the only magazine I get in the mail is Fons and Porters but I have a gazillion books and magazines from years gone by, plus EQ6.... which I, in all honesty, would not recommend to someone with limited funds... simply because you are only allowed to install it FOUR times and then must PAY for any installations after that - for instance, you buy the program, install it. Fine, then you buy a new computer, install EQ, there's two of your installations. Ok, say you have a laptop and want to use EQ while travelling or in the sewing room or whatever, there's your 3rd installation, and then OH NO your hard drive crashes and boom, you use up your 4th installation...
Now the next time you get a new computer you have to PAY to re-install.
The other really rude part is you HAVE to have internet access to even install the program! :shock: ... yes, all of us here do (obviously) but not everybody does and who knows what the future holds? you lose your job, there goes your ISP to save money, and you can no longer get online to install a program you PAID for...
Just irks me no end - can you tell :roll:

Anyhoo, back to the subject at hand.... I have magazines, books, internet etc etc and I look through them a lot for inspiration but a lot of times I want to showcase a FABRIC and wind up doing a fairly simple pattern just to show off the fabric - for instance the snowball and 9 patch I did for the swirl fabric (after the rain) or the squares and 9 patch for the 'midnight' quilt, or the easy pattern from F/P magazine ad - Blue Sky (if you have no clue what I'm talking about:
http://usera.imagecave.com/Mavican/quilts/[url]

Sometimes the FABRIC is 'the thing'

I'm finding out that people who do not quilt - or even sew - are majorly impressed by just about ANY quilt, and intricate patterns that take forever to cut and sew are lost on them 8) :roll:
Which is another reason I like showcasing fabric. I've VERY fortunate that I have some really fantastic options for fabric shopping around here and I've built quite a stash - keeps me busy.... and I need to STOP buying LOL
ok that was a joke :mrgreen:

But I guess my point is, it doesn't have to be a fussy cut, intricate pattern to be beautiful - at least that's my opinion.... with the right fabric choices a simple pattern can be VERY effective.....

I have said repeatedly that you can take ONE pattern and make a huge pile of different quilts just by using different fabrics colors etc (I use 100% cotton - so when I say 'fabrics' I mean patterns and colors)
Old 05-17-2008, 06:32 AM

Janeen, I just have to comment on the "After the Rain" quilt. It is beautfiul and the green swirl fabric inside the "snowballs" is just wonderful. The nine patches are a strong contrast but they really accent that swirl design, it is a pleasing balance. I just don't know how I'll ever get all the quilts done that are being added to the "list" in my head! After the Rain, though, is somewhere near the top......

Oh, on the subject of the thread.....I subscribe to Quilter's World, McCalls Quilts and McCall's Quick Quilts. I have also been lucky enough to pick up some past issues at garage sales. They are just so enjoyable and I have read and reread them many times.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:52 AM

I get 2 quilting magazines but I am not going to renew. If I had to choose I think I would just go for free patterns on the internet. I would be saving a lot of money. can pick patterns I want and can spend more on stash. Live and learn.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:52 AM

I would rather get a book than a magazine. too much space needed for the advertising.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:34 AM
Banned

I subscribe to Quilting Arts Magazine and have since it started publication. I also have a substantial library of fiber arts books (quilting, needlepoint, crewel, collage, mixed media, etc) dealing mostly with execution techniques and design concepts, not patterns.