Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Minky? >

Quilting Minky?

Quilting Minky?

Old 03-30-2016, 04:16 PM

Default Quilting Minky?

I've been out of commission with a broken right arm, and of course I am right handed! I'd decided to get back to sewing, but slowly. I want to make a crib blanket where both sides are Minky. Will I need to quilt this or will it be okay with just binding the edges?

I am really anxious to get quilting! This has been a nasty 4 months!
Old 03-30-2016, 06:34 PM

It will bag apart if you don't quilt or at least tie it together.
Sorry about your arm--I always get so restless when health keeps me from sewing.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:45 PM

With right sides together, round the corners of your fabrics (I draw an arc on the wrong side of the fabric by using a roll of masking tape as my template). Cut off excess. With right sides still together, sew the 2 fabrics together about 1/2 inch from the edge. Use a walking foot if you have one. Leave a 10 inch opening for turning. Turn right sides out then sew the opening shut. Sew around the quilt again, about 1 inch from the edge. DONE. I have made two of these for toddlers and the kids love them. No batting or additional quilting needed. Make sure your fabric pieces are the same size before you start. It saves a lot of headaches later on...
Old 03-30-2016, 07:28 PM

I made a minky quilt with both front and back being minky. The pattern had squares in the middle so I quilted in the ditch of the squares. I did not quilt the minky borders but did decide to use cotton as my binding.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:45 PM

Thanks Patrick's Mom for the great explanation! I get to work tomorrow!
Old 03-30-2016, 10:37 PM

If you don't use any batting, you don't need to quilt it. Before I took up quilting, I made blankets with minky. There are 2 options I used -- just put some of that satin/sateen bias tape they sell at JAF on the edge & zig-zag it down to enclose the raw edges. Or do the same thing but with 2 layers of minky. When you make it with the 2 layers of minky, you are making a blanket, not a quilt. It is not as strong & will not last as long, but it should definitely last for a couple of years as long as you don't mind occasionally having to reattach the bias tape. The fewer stitches you have, the more stress is put on each individual stitch so if you just have the one row of stitches around the binding, those stitches will carry a lot of weight any time the blanket is dragged, pulled, sat upon, washed, dried, thrown, etc. I personally didn't mind that small amount of mending every 18-24 months, but if that will bother you, I'd recommend spending the time now to quilt it with no more than 2" between your quilting lines.