Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Quilting with the New Bernina 820

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    915
    I have the new Bernina 820 and am having a hard time with the BSR. Every time I try to practice and machine quilt, I get it to only do a few stitches and then I get one long one. No matter how slow I go as I make a curve I get a very long stitch. I was wondering if anyone has this machine and can make a suggestion on what I am doing wrong. I have read the book and think I am setting it all up right, few locking stitches, etc.
    Thanks for any help.....

  2. #2
    Super Member Maride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    2,882
    I wish I could say that I am using an 820, but that would be a dream. I cannot complain, I have a 630 and love it. About the BSR, remember that the machine is not only going to sew as fast as you move the fabric, it will also move at a speed related to the desire size stitch. I suggest to reduce the size of the stitch to 1.5, make sure the needle is not dull, and hold the fabric tight, on both sides of the needle. I like the BSR set on the setting where it only moves if I am moving and stops when I stop. Keep on practicing. Is the only way you get used to it.

  3. #3
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    I've got the 830. Have you had the new spring and washer installed in your BSR? If not, you should make an appt. with your dealer to do so. This may help solve your problem. Also, lowering your stitch length may help too, like Maride said. But, definitely get the new spring and washer!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    537
    I agree with you,Maria. I have the 440. I like to use the BSR in mode 2. It regulates to my movement of fabric. I go at a slower pace and try to keep my movements smooth. I think practice is the best way to get better.
    I am making some pot holders to practice stippling then I have them to give away.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    915
    Yes, I still think something must be up with my husband, because I got it for Christmas! I absolutely love it. I keep practicing but the same thing keeps happening. I just got the machine in December, would the bsr already need a new spring and washer? I have only tried it a few times. Thanks.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    915
    I love this board....You guys are really on it...so fast. Thanks again.

  7. #7
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura3
    Yes, I still think something must be up with my husband, because I got it for Christmas! I absolutely love it. I keep practicing but the same thing keeps happening. I just got the machine in December, would the bsr already need a new spring and washer? I have only tried it a few times. Thanks.
    Yes, you need the BSR unit upgraded. Tell your dealer you're having issues and want the new spring and washer. They should know what you're talking about. It took my service tech only like 20 mins. to do it. So, you shouldn't have to make an appt. Though, they may have to order the parts from Bernina.

  8. #8
    Senior Member All Thumbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Middle America
    Posts
    716
    Laura, I have the Bernina 820 and had problems straight out with the BSR. Once they replaced the spring with a heavier duty one, everything went very smoothly. However, upon the 2X computer note that general maintenance was coming soon, (you can x out of the first 1X 2X times), like a good little seamstress, I took machine in for maintenance checking even though nothing was wrong but from that point on, I have had problems. The cutter snags thread and get jammed (spent over an hour clearing it just last night), then the needle threader would not work and they put in a new part only to have the part literally fall out by the next evening of sewing. After asking for a new cutting blade and adjustment, again, the automatic cutter does not cut either the bottom or the top threads. I am keeping a running list of date and what has happened to cause my time away from quilting and the next time in, I plan to talk with store owner in addition to the repairman. Considering the price tag of the 820, this is unheard of durability and service compared to the two other Bernina's which never gave me any tears and continue to sew beautifully. I do understand, however, that Bernina is retraining servicemen....for what I am not sure. Hopefully, Bernina will restore my faith in them soon and I hope you get a new BSR spring immediately.

  9. #9
    Senior Member All Thumbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Middle America
    Posts
    716
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura3
    Yes, I still think something must be up with my husband, because I got it for Christmas! I absolutely love it. I keep practicing but the same thing keeps happening. I just got the machine in December, would the bsr already need a new spring and washer? I have only tried it a few times. Thanks.
    You questioned if your BSR would already need a new spring and washer.....the way it was first explained to me was that the factory installed a light weight spring compared to the one actually needed for the 820s and 830s. And, indeed, when my new spring was installed, it was visibly heavier weight and even when I operated it up-down in my hand, it was a harder push. Good luck.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    915
    I am so sorry you have had so much trouble. I have not had any problems at all. I also have a family run sewing machine shop that I feel will help me. They have been very helpful in guiding me in the use of the machine. I will call them in the morning regarding the spring. Thanks for your help and good luck...

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Marengo, Iowa
    Posts
    801
    Blog Entries
    1
    What does BSR mean?

  12. #12
    Super Member Quilter7x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    north east
    Posts
    8,531
    Blog Entries
    1
    BSR = Bernina stitch regulator. It makes your stitches all even when doing free motion quilting.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    601
    I don't have one (but would love to have it), but BSR stands for "Bernina Stitch Regulator." It's available on some Berninas and helps keep free motion quilting stitches an equal length. I've definately heard mixed reviews, but if you compare my work on a non-BSR Bernina with my work on a BSR machine, the BSR free-motion quilting stitches are much more even in length, and I can go faster with the stitching looking better.

    Hope that helps!

    Mattee

  14. #14
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    I used the new Bernina 820 in a Bernina Club class. I was not impressed enough to want one. I really liked the long arm frame that Bernina has for it though.

  15. #15
    Senior Member All Thumbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Middle America
    Posts
    716
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I used the new Bernina 820 in a Bernina Club class. I was not impressed enough to want one. I really liked the long arm frame that Bernina has for it though.
    Yes, it took about a month for me to get use to that method of sewing, i.e. raising-lowering needle, cutting threads, threading needles plus all that computer jibber jabber and ALL by a button. It has, however, saved my right shoulder a great deal, especially since the shoulder is beginning to give me joint problems.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2
    I know it's been a while since you submitted this post, but I just stumbled across it during a search, as I have the same problem.

    I found out today, that there is an issue with the early 820's and a different dealer told me that there is a fix for a few issues, and they have to send it back to Chicago. They are not broadcasting this, but I'm going to send mine in. Otherwise, I absolutely love it. That is really my only complaint. It even started skipping stitches in free motion mode without the BSR, which I have never used because of the issue.

    I wonder if you resolved your problems. It's more then just a spring, because I've had that done too.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    915
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoombaby
    I know it's been a while since you submitted this post, but I just stumbled across it during a search, as I have the same problem.

    I found out today, that there is an issue with the early 820's and a different dealer told me that there is a fix for a few issues, and they have to send it back to Chicago. They are not broadcasting this, but I'm going to send mine in. Otherwise, I absolutely love it. That is really my only complaint. It even started skipping stitches in free motion mode without the BSR, which I have never used because of the issue.

    I wonder if you resolved your problems. It's more then just a spring, because I've had that done too.
    I did take it back to the dealer and they changed the spring. They told me that mine was purchased right during the time that they were making them with a stronger spring and there was no way to know if mine had the old one. So he checked it and put in a new one. I still have not played with it, but I guess I should. I am very new to machine quilting and still go back to just cross hatching, because I am afraid to try it on a quilt I have worked hard on. My plan is to make several practice sandwiches and just play. Life has been a little hectic, so I am looking for that window where I can just do a little playing in my sewing room.

    I also feel very fortunate that I have a dealer that is amazing and always willing to help no matter what. So I know when I actually get to it, he will guide me through any problems.

    Let me know when you get it back and how it works...

    Take Care...Laura

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4
    I have had my spring replaced about 4 or 5 times. I have the early model of the 820 and have nothing but problems since day 1. I am so sick of this machine , it should not be this way. Paid a huge price tag for huge expectations and only got huge headaches. Wakeup Bernina and get this fixed!

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2
    Same for me I got my 820 in 2010 and since I had a lot of troubles with the BSR. After 3 or 4 minutes of free motion I have a lot of large points. My friend has exactly the same 820 and she has the same problem. Also, sometimes the sewing machine just stops sewing. So, we make our quilting on the 440. I even get better quilting with my old 1008.
    It's really a pain.

  20. #20
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Keller, TX
    Posts
    7,515
    Quote Originally Posted by jacee kay View Post
    I agree with you,Maria. I have the 440. I like to use the BSR in mode 2. It regulates to my movement of fabric. I go at a slower pace and try to keep my movements smooth. I think practice is the best way to get better.
    I am making some pot holders to practice stippling then I have them to give away.
    I use mode 2 as well and smaller stitch length. If it keeps skipping, call the dealer. I don't think that is user error. Practice does help!
    Linda

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    356
    I have an 820 with the same issue. I took it to my dealer, and had a heavier spring put on it. The next quilt was beautiful, not a skipped stich in sight. I was so excited. The next quilt was a batik, and my "masterpiece" so far in my quilting career. It skipped a few stiches once in a while, but had no pattern to it, and I could go several passes without any skipping, so I started to think it was the fabric. The next quilt, I had a few skipped stiches at the beginning and then it was fine. This last quilt, that was a not a batik, I had a few, but did not see a pattern to it. I need to quilt a batik top and see if it gets worse. I use a 90 microtex needle. I clean and change needles after every quilt. I read the posts to this thread with great interest. I am curious to see what others with the same issue have discovered.

  22. #22
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    I read that Bernina did not test the new 830 enough before putting them on the marke and now is scrambling to get attention away from the 830 to the new 700 and 500 line. I have an older Bernina and it is a joy to use. I doubt any new Bernina will be as good quality as they use to be.
    Got fabric?

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2

    Quilting batik with an 820

    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQuilts View Post
    I have an 820 with the same issue. I took it to my dealer, and had a heavier spring put on it. The next quilt was beautiful, not a skipped stich in sight. I was so excited. The next quilt was a batik, and my "masterpiece" so far in my quilting career. It skipped a few stiches once in a while, but had no pattern to it, and I could go several passes without any skipping, so I started to think it was the fabric. The next quilt, I had a few skipped stiches at the beginning and then it was fine. This last quilt, that was a not a batik, I had a few, but did not see a pattern to it. I need to quilt a batik top and see if it gets worse. I use a 90 microtex needle. I clean and change needles after every quilt. I read the posts to this thread with great interest. I am curious to see what others with the same issue have discovered.
    Same problem as yours :
    I tried several needles to quilt batik. I always had many skipped stitches. Our main problem (my friend and I) is that the "management" of Bernina France believes that we are not able to quilt correctly. We have better results with the lovely Aurora 440. Also I have an old 1001 which works better than the 820. We also have a problem with the needle threader. We experienced a lot of different threads, we tried the super titan needles, different batting, etc.. Who has some "tricks" to help us ?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.