Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting not for me >

quilting not for me

quilting not for me

Old 04-11-2019, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
In all my many years quilting, I have yet to make a “ perfect” quilt.
Same for me.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:01 PM

Seazteddy, I am curious, have you made any quilts or just thinking about it? Just wondering how your question came about. Quilting can be like many things in life, make of it what you will. People can enjoy making something that will warm and comfort someone and that is great. Others may enjoy challenging themselves and making intricate and amazing artwork. Do what you enjoy!
Old 04-11-2019, 04:58 PM

I think the wonderful thing about quilting is that it allows so much freedom--you can be perfectionist or a 'close enough' piecer, a hand, machine or quilt by check quilter, piece precision patterns or improv, bedsize to mini's; all sorts of fabrics and colors; traditional or modern--so please join the ranks--there are no real rules (although getting a decent 1/4" seam sure makes life easier!)
Old 04-12-2019, 02:28 AM

I am not a perfectionist by any ones definition! What quilting has done for me over time is to slowly, every so slowly develop an understanding of accuracy in cutting and sewing. My quilts are Never perfect. I have kept my joy of color and just love the puzzle aspect of creating a quilt. I can admire quilts of perfection but I also know I am not one to reach that goal. I quilt for the pleasure of it and to bless others with something created for beauty and warmth.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-12-2019 at 02:53 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 04-12-2019, 02:50 AM
Power Poster

No one is perfect... heck, we probably cannot agree on what that even means. But we all have our own standards of what is good work, and should try to do the best we can. With practice we get better and more accurate quilting results. I re-sew seams if I think I can make them better the second (or third) try. Why not? The “galloping horse” theory doesn’t work for me because I am not looking at my quilts from a galloping horse. We each decide for ourselves what level of flaws we can live with.

To me, it would be sad if we didn’t continue to try our best with each piece we make.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:56 AM

Heavens no dear woman. If I were a perfectionist and everything I made turned out absolutely perfect I would be God. There is an old saying that every quilt should have at least one mistake somewhere to remind us that only God is perfect. I'm not highly religious, but I do believe this to be true.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:13 AM

One of the reasons I enjoy hand applique, both in wool and cotton, is that i can improvise quite a bit. I tend to be a little picky when looking at pieced items, and I notice most of the wobbles when I machine quilt. But I have found that there are times to be nearly perfect and times to just let go and enjoy. You will learn what works for you with time and you will most likely gravitate to those things (if you want to).
Old 04-12-2019, 06:10 AM

'Perfectionism is the enemy of Creativity' this is a sign I have in my workroom and on the front of the student guides I give out. I like to tell my students that they are not making mistakes, they are adding design elements. Rejoice in what you have made because you have made it! Most folks will never make a quilt - But you did! And, if it is a gift and the only words out of their mouth aren't 'thank you', then take it back! LOL!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-12-2019 at 06:19 AM. Reason: shouting/ all caps
Old 04-12-2019, 06:11 AM

No. But there are some rules that just make all quilts look right. Seams that match. Points not cut off. Edges that are not too wavy. Quilting that doesn't have to be fancy but that serves the purpose while enhancing the top ......in my opinion. And when learning, one might as well learn these things early and do the best one can to achieve them.....again, in my opinion.

I don't call that perfectionism but a desire to follow the rules and improve the skills of one's craft or hobby, no matter what it is.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
No one is perfect... heck, we probably cannot agree on what that even means. But we all have our own standards of what is good work, and should try to do the best we can. With practice we get better and more accurate quilting results. I re-sew seams if I think I can make them better the second (or third) try. Why not? The “galloping horse” theory doesn’t work for me because I am not looking at my quilts from a galloping horse. We each decide for ourselves what level of flaws we can live with.

To me, it would be sad if we didn’t continue to try our best with each piece we make.
This is my philosophy and rule of thumb, too.

Just last night I made a pieced heart and discovered I had sewn slightly over the bottom points, blunting them. I was tired and thought, "oh, well, it'll do." This morning I know I'm going to resew that seam.