Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting pattern question >

quilting pattern question

quilting pattern question

Old 02-26-2014, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

Default quilting pattern question

I recently purchased a Babylock Tiara quilting machine. It is NOT a long arm. It does not have computerized patterns. It is a sit down free motion quilting machine. What is your recommendation for resources to learn free motion quilting? A good book, an exceptional utube video, a tutorial you have found etc.?
Old 02-26-2014, 08:29 AM

My first stop would be Leah Day's free motion site. She uses a regular sewing machine but the quilting process is the same. There is a wealth of information in Craftsy. Enjoy your new toy.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:31 AM

Leah Day is an excellent resource. There are also many other video how-to demos on Youtube. Click a few and see what works for you. Most of all, I think practice is the key.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:36 AM

I just watched a tv show what highlighted a machine for FMQ that wasn't a LA. LAs take up too much room but the machine shown has the regulated stitches so you can move the fabric slow or fast but the stitches are the same length. Is that the machine you bought??? I'm so excited for you. I'm thinking I need to go see one of those.

Anyway, back to your question. I think FMQ is just a matter of practice, practice, practice. You will get better once you get the 'feel' of the fabric and machine. I'm sure there are some tips out there (I watched a FMQ video on utube that helped me) but there's not a better teacher than experience. Just go for it.... on a practice sandwich first.... and good luck. We want to experience the ride with you..... at least I want to... I really like the idea of this machine.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

One of my favourite sites is http://www.theinboxjaunt.com/ her Tuesday Tutorials have step by step pictures of quilting motifs. I have used several on toppers and quilts.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:06 AM

Do you want person to person, like in a LQS class ... or will an online tutorial do? There are several on Youtube, Craftsy, and more. I expect you'll get a lot of sites with this posting. I just looked at the inbox jaunt and loved it.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:15 AM

My favorites are Leah Day and Diane Gaudynski. There is always something new on youtube to try. Mostly, just dive in and have fun!!
Old 02-26-2014, 09:17 AM

I used you-tube alot when I was learning. You just have to take it by the horns and give it a whirl! Its a lot of fun and easy once you get the hang of it. Good luck!
Old 02-26-2014, 08:58 PM

patsy thompson has some free tutorials, she is a very good instructor. Just took a class from her, and really enjoy her style. I also love ann petersen on craftsy, she is awesome as are her classes
Old 02-27-2014, 08:40 AM

I'll put in a vote for Leah Day as well, she gives a lot of great advice, she's got a bazillion different patterns that you can try, plus I find her voice soothing, which I need when I'm trying to figure out how to do something new!