Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Retreat >

Quilting Retreat

Quilting Retreat

Old 01-10-2018, 07:38 PM
Power Poster

Even if the place supplies ironing stations and cutting stations, a lot of the time there is a line to use the equipment. So I take a small cutting board/ironing board combination and a travel iron. I also have a bag with all the basic sewing/quilting supplies. My retreat bag has a plug strip in it just in case. The setup is usually shared and with all our gadgets these days, a single strip doesn't cut it.

The first time I took too many projects, the last time I took too few. One thing that works for me is to pre-plan the projects and pack each one in a project box or bag. That way I have everything at hand when I pull it.

Space is generally limited so you don't want to take a project that takes a lot of space such as quilting a large quilt. It is also best to take something where you don't need a design wall. If the place has design space, great - but many do not or they are taken by other members. I find that I need to work on simple things because I spend A LOT of time visiting which is tons of fun but it does not help with concentration.

Since I have back problems, I generally take my sewing chair to retreats as I never know how good (or crummy) the seating is at the place. If the chairs are good, I may leave my chair in the car.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:14 AM

What kind of fun projects should I take. I do want to make the soup bowls for the microwave, I received some in my Secret Santa and I love love love them. Maybe try another one of those wreaths.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:07 AM

I went to my first retreat a few months ago. If you can't take a chair, take a pillow for the provided chair because you may be sitting in a folding chair at a lunchroom type table.

Take some earbuds for your phone or other device that can hold music. If I go to another retreat I will remember to take MORE breaks and use my earbuds more often (there were no classes at this retreat). I live alone and mainly an introvert so I'm not used to being around people 24/7. It was overwhelming for me and sometimes I just wanted to focus. Others also had earbuds to tune out the group when needed

If you wear glasses, take a spare pair.
I always travel with earplugs so if there is noise in the hotel room, I can block it out. I offered them to my roommate since I know I snore

Extension cord, power plug, travel iron and small pressing surface.
Water bottle or coffee mug that can be closed.
Along with prescription meds take OTC meds you may use - ibuprofen, tums, etc.

Projects - take a large piecing project, some small projects - like you mentioned things like bowl cozies. Christmas ornaments are a nice small project. I did a couple of dog coats while I was on retreat.

I put my projects in large ziploc bags so I could take them out and put them away in some type of orderly fashion.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:25 AM

I like to take something that is not too hard, lots of strip piecing or lots of the same blocks. SOmetimes I will bring something that I need some help with. Lots of brains to pick.
Bring more than one project incse you get tired of the one you're working on. Also I always bring 2 machines. If one breaks on day one of a 4 day retreat you're going to be very bored.
I make sure to take advantage of the pool and hot tub. Don't forget a cushion for your chair, they are never the right height.
Some ladies in my guild bring thier own chairs and an extra table, some even bring thier own prtable sewing table. I don't go that far, too much to pack and unpack. A rolling suitcase makes it easy to haul all your projects.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:40 AM

One retreat I went to ask for us to have something to put under our machines so they didn’t mark up their tables. I usually have a piece of waffle shelf liner in my sewing machine case. This also keeps your machine from “walking” around on your table. One time I got 30 minutes from home and realized I forgot my pjs.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:42 AM

If you stay in a hotel, 60w light bulbs are helpful. Extension cords & a flashlight or two. You can't always count on your phone to last very long. We were caught in the dark in Metropolis, IL just 2 yrs ago after an accident took out a power grid. Don't forget your smile & your good sense of humor. Have a wonderful time!!! Kathjy
Old 01-11-2018, 07:43 AM

Thank you for sharing this list, Peckish!
Old 01-11-2018, 08:07 AM

I just want to say have fun...I’ve never been on a retreat yet but am anxious to. The timing never seems to work out for me.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:48 AM

I use command hooks and binder clips to hang up vinyl tablecloth design wall ... no damage or residue to worry about.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:49 AM

If you know what you plan to make ... precut as much as possible so you can spend more time sewing!!! P.S. take some snacks like M&M's or pretzels to keep you alert and not sticky.