Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilting Software

I guess I am slow on the uptake at times but it just came to my attention that there is software out there to help with quilt design.I have been reading about EQ7 and Quiltpro and came across something called Foundation.Can someone guide me in the simplest direction?I want to be able to draw blocks,paper piece,arrange blocks and move them around.I don't particularly like computers and treat them more like a book(lots of reading on quilting board)I don't want to spend hours learning a program.I want simple and fun.Ya'll are a sharp bunch,what would you suggest?I would also like to be able to resize blocks and it tell me how much fabric to buy.Thank you-Cindy

I just downloaded my copy of Quiltpro 6. I haven't used it yet though. I do have Quiltpro 5 (not opened, bought for free upgrade to 6), and I have 123 Quilt. The 123quilt is the most basic program made by quilt pro. You cannot design your own blocks with it, it has preset blocks in it.
    I can't vouch for how fast they will be at getting it done. Mine that I have used go pretty fast. The problem is that when I get started on them, they are just like this board, they become very addicting! I spend hours on them sometimes!

I haven't purchased any of the programs, but you can go to quiltivate.com and do some of the same functions...the basic ones - pick a block, choose colors, try different layouts, etc....and it's free!

http://quiltivate.com/

Blog Entries
    EQ versions from 6 -7 is your best choice. It is for beginners and advanced designers. The other programs are lacking the features that EQ offers. EQ will grow with you and you can't outgrow the program. It's the one most professional designers and instructors use as well as the beginner who just wants to color a basic quilt different colors.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    EQ versions from 6 -7 is your best choice. It is for beginners and advanced designers. The other programs are lacking the features that EQ offers. EQ will grow with you and you can't outgrow the program. It's the one most professional designers and instructors use as well as the beginner who just wants to color a basic quilt different colors.
    Do you know what foundations is and is there a program that turns patterns into paper pieced patterns?

Quote Originally Posted by cbridges22
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Do you know what foundations is and is there a program that turns patterns into paper pieced patterns?

I just purchased EQ7 just for foundation printing. I am doing the FWS quilt, and when you go to "Print" then can choose, rotary, foundation and templates. Do an "edit", for foundation piecing, "move" blocks around and then print.

Foundation Factory is for paper piecing. You print, change size of patterns. I had an older version and loved it. I'm sure the newer versions are much better. You are restricted to the patterns in the program but there were many choices.

Blog Entries
    Foundation Factory is the quilt software for paper piecing blocks only. Carol Doak's books that come with a CD uses Foundation Factory. All her patterns are stand alone, you don't need the software program but if you do have it everything is installed in the main program. EQ will convert all straight line blocks into paper piecing blocks. Sew Precise is another paper piecing software that is stand alone or installs in EQ.

I just got EQ7, and am having a ball with it. So many things you can do with it. I've just been playing but I love the fact that you can actually put your own material into the program so you know exactly what your quilt will look like. Have fun deciding.

Any suggestions on where to purchase EQ7 at the best price?

Blog Entries
    Have tried them all and EQ7 is by far your best bet! Easier to use and you can do anything.

Blog Entries
    I like EQ because I can draw any PP block, convert any block to PP'd, and change the sizes with a couple of mouse clicks.
    Personally, I have recouped the cost of the program by not having to buy quilt patterns. AND I like being able to tweek a pattern to match what I envision :D
    With so many free patterns available online, it is easy to copy them over into EQ and play with them :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by cbridges22
    Any suggestions on where to purchase EQ7 at the best price?
    Sewingmachinesplus.com = I paid $149.00 (included shipping). The cheapest place I found brand new.

I bought eq 5 because I did not want to invest a lot of money into something I may or maynot use. I love my eq5 and do not feel like i am missing anything. Maybe because I have yet to master the eq5 all the way but I really love it. I just made my first block quilt on it and it is perfect!! I let my son use the software and learned a lot from him!

I have EQ5 and am still quite happy with its features, so I am sure the later versions will be good. You will be able to re - size, draft blocks, insert your own fabric, work out yardages and quilting patterns. Other programs are limited to changing colours in a basic design.