Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts that are 'quilted to death'  -- just my 2 cents worth..... >

Quilts that are 'quilted to death' -- just my 2 cents worth.....

Quilts that are 'quilted to death' -- just my 2 cents worth.....

Old 04-21-2014, 07:30 AM

Default Quilts that are 'quilted to death' -- just my 2 cents worth.....

I think these quilts are very pretty, but I'm just wondering if these is a 'fad' that will eventually pass.

I've heard that quilts that are quilted to death are very stiff and the top layer fibers are weakened so much with the close-together stitching. With that amount of quilting, the quilt fibers will actually break down faster and the quilt won't last as long through the years.

Also, with so many quilts being quilted this way, they seem to be the only quilts that win at shows. Are there any quilts anymore that aren't quilted to death that actually do win at major quilt shows?

Seems like such a shame there are so many talented quilters, but if they choose not to quilt a quilt to death there's no chance their quilt will hang much less place in a show.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

I don't think the term "quilted to death" is fair. It automatically assumes that the quilting is ruining the quilt. You say that you've "heard" that these quilts are stiff, but that has not been my experience, if a good batting is used, the quilting is done with thinner threads and backtracking is minimized. I see no reason for quilting to weaken the quilt fibers, anymore than lots of piecing would weaken them. And more quilting does hold the quilt together so that if some threads do break, others are there to do the job. I love to look at creative quilting that adds new depth to a quilt while complementing the piecing. Also many of the quilts at the bigger shows are more works of art than coverings for beds.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I don't think the term "quilted to death" is fair. It automatically assumes that the quilting is ruining the quilt. You say that you've "heard" that these quilts are stiff, but that has not been my experience, if a good batting is used, the quilting is done with thinner threads and backtracking is minimized. I see no reason for quilting to weaken the quilt fibers, anymore than lots of piecing would weaken them. And more quilting does hold the quilt together so that if some threads do break, others are there to do the job. I love to look at creative quilting that adds new depth to a quilt while complementing the piecing. Also many of the quilts at the bigger shows are more works of art than coverings for beds.
I agree,they are usually art quilt,display quilts not every day on the bed quilts.I do not quilt that way because I lack the talent-but I would if I could-custom artistic quilting is beautiful.I make functional quilts and pantos are my best way at this time-but in my dreams I would quilt artistic freehand works of art.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:14 AM

Stitch124, I tend to agree with you. IMHO there has to be a good balance. The right quilting can enhance and beautify a quilt, but it should never detract or "grandstand". Can't help but notice that when some of these heavily quilted quilts are turned over to show off the machine quilting, they appear "warped" and don't see how they would ever lay flat on a bed or against a wall. Your comments about fabric fiber break down and quilt show placement seem very valid.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
Stitch124, I tend to agree with you. IMHO there has to be a good balance. The right quilting can enhance and beautify a quilt, but it should never detract or "grandstand". Can't help but notice that when some of these heavily quilted quilts are turned over to show off the machine quilting, they appear "warped" and don't see how they would ever lay flat on a bed or against a wall. Your comments about fabric fiber break down and quilt show placement seem very valid.
I agree. JMHO
Old 04-21-2014, 08:35 AM
RST

Heavily quilted quilts can be very soft and drapable. They can lie flat on a bed or a wall. They can be exactly right. Or not. But making big old generalizations about a whole approach which happens to be very popular right now-- not particularly helpful on a board where a wide variety of quilting approaches are supposed to be welcomed and not put down.

I don't care about shows or competition at all. I make quilts that get heavy use, are washed, loved, and may eventually wear out. And they have a ton of quilting on them because that is the part of the process I love most. They're not at all stiff. Maybe you've seen some that are done with cheap poly batting? Using wool, bamboo, or even an 80/20 will yield a lovely, soft, warm quilt even if your quilting is 1/4 inch all over the entire surface. I've got the quilts to prove it.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-21-2014 at 01:25 PM. Reason: remove negative wording
Old 04-21-2014, 08:38 AM
RST

And you know what? There does not have to be a balance of piecing and quilting on every quilt. Sometimes the quilting is the star and the piecing is very minimal. Sometimes the reverse. I agree that sometimes a very heavily pieced quilt calls out for minimal quilting, but that can't be a blanket statement. Sometimes throwing the balance off is what makes the quilt dynamic and interesting.

Generally speaking, in design (and quilting competitions) dynamic, bold, and innovative trumps predictable, safe, and balanced. So that may be why you are noticing a lot of wins for the school of beaucoup quilting.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

I love the elaborate quilting on show quilts! Will I ever do it for my bed quilts? No because I don't have the talent and I like bed quilts with a bit of fluff. As for the quilt lasting? All that quilting is going to hold the quilt from moving and wear like iron. Think of the antique tapestries that are still around.
I have seen some machine quilted quilts that the quilting overshadows the quilt and I don't like that. I have also seen simple patterns turn into breathtaking quilts with the quilting.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:57 AM

I have seen many beautiful quilts in my day, some heavily quilted, and some more conservatively quilted, some simply tied. What I don't understand is why we need to pick and choose which quilts to love. They're quilts! Love them all!

Perhaps the major quilt shows could re-evaluate their categories to allow for the wide range of quilting styles now being submitted, but that's really up to those who make the rules for each show.

As far as heavy quilting causing weakening of fibers...frankly, no one will know for another 80-100 years and none of us will be around to find out. I guess it will just have to be a lesson for our descendants. Myself, I choose not to spend my time worrying about whether a quilt will outlive my great-grandchildren. If those who come after I'm gone are concerned about such matters, they'll make the effort to take care of and preserve them. If not, that's okay. I'll be gone, and it's their right to choose what they care about.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:02 AM

I like all quilts....regular quilting, heavy quilting, tied. The quilt top design is usually what I look at first. But I have "a thing" with sagging quilt areas that look like they need more quilting. (Just my thing!) Several wool batting quilts I've done with heavier quilting (not super dense but heavier quilting) are quite soft. So it's probably an assumption to say heavy quilting is going to stiffen a quilt. Also, on the heavier quilting I used silk or finer thread. A 50 weight cotton thread is starting to look too thick to me, especially when you have to back-track a few times.

Personally I would like to try out denser quilting, but it takes a lot of time that doesn't usually work for me!