Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts for refugees, guidelines? >

Quilts for refugees, guidelines?

Quilts for refugees, guidelines?

Old 06-20-2019, 06:40 AM

Default Quilts for refugees, guidelines?

Good Morning,

I am going to be making two quilts for Refugees who are coming to my community at the end of the Summer. I do not know their religions, but based on the regions they are coming from, I would guess one of them in Muslim. They are coming from two different African countries, a man and a woman.

Now my question is, I know there are some guidelines for images to avoid using, dogs, pigs are two of them, but I need to know what other ones to avoid. I want these New Canadians to feel welcome, not to unintentionally cause them offense.

If you or your guild has made quilts for Refugees, and has a copy of the guide lines, I would appreciate it if you could share the info.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:49 AM

I haven't heard anything about guidelines, but common sense would probably suggest flowery stuff for the lady, and transportation (cars, trains, planes, boats) for the man.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

I might go with a two solid colour quilt top like Hunter’s Star or similar. Look at the geometric tile designs in Mosques to get some ideas.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

You are nice/wise to think of such things.

I would not have even thought of possibly offensive images.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

I like Tartan's suggested Hunter's star suggestion. A simple warm wishes with a multicolor nondescript focus fabric might be a good choice.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:06 AM

I have never heard of any guidelines but how kind of you to think of this issue. You are right in not wanting to offend them and their religious believes. I think Tartan is right-solid colors would be the best idea.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:30 AM

It is kind of you to think of such things. I think that the gift would be appreciated as what it is, a Canadian welcoming blanket, so long as it wasn't deliberately offensive. People can understand a basic faux pas, but it's easier to understand when you are protected from the cold! I think florals or geometrics or stripes or plaids would all be just fine. I'd question novelty fabrics, say a cluster of cherries would be fine, but I'd stay away from food prints because just too many possible issues for too many people.

I know in my own donation quilting and discussions that a lot of people don't like bugs. Personally, I like any number of bug fabrics but I've known men who wouldn't use sheets because of "bugs" on the, which were lovely butterflies. I'm also a bit cautious about using Spiderweb quilting designs for donation quilts because of the same sort of thing.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:37 AM

how very thoughtful of you, I too would not have thought of such a thing but now will be sure to keep it in mind, thank you so much for the heads up. I use a lot of my hand dyed fabric in my quilts now so that is what I would go with.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:42 AM

Thank you for the replies and suggestions.

I had not thought of bugs, luckily I do not have any bug fabric in my stash. I think I will leave all animals and foods out of the quilts. Actually most novelty prints will be avoided.

I love Kaffe, likely the woman's quilt will feature his beautiful bold fabrics. Probably an HST quilt, as it can be laid out so many different ways.

For the man I have been planning a Birch Tree Quilt https://www.google.com/search?client...31.s6gz3U1WyAQ I think that will be ok for a man.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:56 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Some teachers of Islam do not allow the depiction of any animate beings—persons or animals.