Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quitting Smoking, need fabric, couple questions

Blog Entries
    Some of the 30s prints on sale at connecting threads would make a pretty vintage looking Grandmother's Flower Garden to do by hand. If a bed quilt is too daunting, make a table runner or a table topper. Best wishes on your intent to improve your health.

giving up smoking was the hardest thing i have ever done---20 years now --i always set aside my smoking money to spend without guilt [usually fabric] good luck

Great idea and best of luck! I shop the thrift stores and find a lot of great fabric finds. How about a scrappy although I have found plenty of yardage at the thrift shops also. Don't forget to look at curtains and sheets that could be repurposed into quilting fabric!

Best of luck with you quitting. It is a pain - I was up to 3 packs a day, began to taper off because it was too expensive then, finally stopped during a long weekend and had no way to get to the store to buy more. One bit of advice given to me was, "Don't look for an excuse to restart," such as, gaining weight or someone talks you into having one. It did take me about 8 months before I could truly consider myself a non-smoker, that was in 1987. But I still cannot even consider trying a cigarette to see if my taste for them is gone, I am too afraid that I will take it up again. Hopefully no one else in your house smokes, because that makes it all the more difficult.

What a fantastic decision to make for the new year. I know you can do it, esspecially when you think of thos granbabies looking up at you with puppy dog eyes sayin "Pleeeeeeeeeese".

As for keeping your hands busy, do you do embroidery? For something funny how about a "No Smoking" applique wall hanging. Putting your smoking money in a clear jar that you can watch grow and spend wkly on fabric or something fun for you.

Also when the urge to grab a ciggy is strong go for a walk, cook or sew, anything to keep your mind off it.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Blog Entries
    I quit October 12, 1983. Our son said to me "Mom, the devil is makiing you smoke and he wants you to die." Coming out of my son scared the crap out of me. I quit on the spot. No devil is going to get to me!!!!! Never regretted it. Can't stand the smell anymore - makes me sick!

I had an ivory cigarette holder and I used that as a pacifier and I chewed gum! I have the strongest jaws this side of the Mississippi! It worked. I kept the carton of Kent (they don't even make them anymore) in the freezer for one year and then took them out and broke up each and every one and threw them in the trash. One of the best days of my life.

Good luck to you, you can do it! It will give you such a good feeling and you will feel good too! Best wishes to you and a Happy New Year. Edie

Blog Entries
    I quit "cold Turkey" 28 years ago. Yes, It was so hard! For 5 years I even dreamed that I was smoking a cigarette. Sometimes in my dreams I smoked a whole pack and didn't get hooked again. One day 5 years down the road, I decided that I was over 21 years of age and could smoke if I wanted to. I took a cigarette out of my MIL's pack and lite it up. That was the most awful taste that I ever had in my mouth!!! I didn't even try to smoke it then. I am not sorry that I gave them up, it is the best thing I ever did for myself.

Blog Entries
    Quilt in a day had some really good clearance items.

I wish you well. It is a hard thing to do. My hubby quit 11 yrs ago. The best thing he did was to only pay at the pump and always have water and a snack in the car. That stopped the temptation in your face when buying gas.
    Januari Rhodes
    26" Innova, LS, Pantovision, all on a 14' Frame

Blog Entries
    You can do it. I went cold turkey in December 1998.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ctack2 View Post
    I know I can do it, I've done it before - for 11 or 12 years, but the first week after the first I am going to quit smoking. I'm going to wait until I have 4 days in a row off work which I think will be the second week of January. My grandkids lost their other grandma last year to cancer and she never smoked a day in her life so my 7 year old keeps telling me she wants me to quit. What better reason than your little grandbaby asking you to please quit?

Anyway - I need to start some projects to keep my hands busy - thinking about applique so I can take it wherever I go, but I need fabric. I have some, but not much. Hubby been out of work for 2 years, so not much money flying around. I want to ask where you have found some REALLY GOOD sales this week. My mom sent me a little money for Christmas, and I think that would be the healthiest way to use it.

Wish me luck!

Carol B
    Take the money that you spent on cigarettes and put that aside for your fabric. It will make you realize how much money "went up in smoke" and how much fabric you could have bought with that cigarette money. I lost my husband to lung cancer; he hadn't smoked in over 14 years. I understand how hard it is to quit, but in the end you will be so proud of yourself for climbing a very steep mountain. Good Luck, and keep us posted with your progress.

My local walmart had clearance fabric for under 2.00 per yard, just pay attention to the info on the bolt end for fabric content.

I quit four years ago and took up quilting to keep my hands/mind busy. Applique is about the least expensive method of quilting since you aren't using up so much fabric and the hand work will keep those hands busy.
    I would also like to share with you the two things that were essential to my succcess:
    http://whyquit.com/joel/ (number three on the list 80 quit smoking videos)
    http://www.quitnet.com/qnhomepage.aspx (there is a free version and a pay version, I used the free version..a great community of people quitting just like you)

The gal above is right, when you quit the money will be there.

CONGRATS ON YOUR DECISION TO QUIT!!!

I quit smoking cold turkey too. I put the money I would have spent on cigarettes into a piggy bank. Each week, when I would have bought my 7 packs for the week, I tucked it away in my bank. I did NOT do it online - I wanted to touch and compliment myself on saving. For the first couple of months I used the piggy bank to buy whatever special gift I wanted. FABRIC would have qualified! Then I began banking it-all of this helped give me incentive to quit.

Another good to find fabric is EBAY!
    Carrie, Queen of the Seam Rippers!

There's Connecting Threads, Thousands of Bolts, Whittle, Marshall's Dry Goods. Don't forget the thrift stores, although you won't get the selection as a fabric store. Best of luck and I hope that the New Year is a good one for you.

JAK
    Yesterday marked 7 weeks smoke-free for me. I can't say enough about the Chantix. I have quit in the past and always thought I could have just one and walk away which I know I can't do. While it certainly isn't easy to do I can honestly say the Chantix made it so much easier. Good luck!

Depending on what you are looking for, some shops have remnants that are usually a pretty good buy also so you might check that locally. Good luck on the no smoking.
    Michelle

I am rooting for you!
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I am a smoker also. I need to quit, but right now is not the time for me. I don't smoke in the house and wash my hands before going into my quilting room, so my fabric doesn't smell like smoke. I have soooooo much fabric that I'd love to give you some. What I would rather give you is a quilt kit. I have about 50 of them. I have applique kits if that's what you want. If you pay shipping I will send you a quilt kit. Let me know. I have so many nice kits that I have bought in the last two years so they are new fabrics.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Good for you. I quit probably 11 years ago, cold turkey, and have never been sorry. I have so much more time, look better, feel better and don't get sick as often. Connecting Threads has some really good sales going. I like batiks for appliqueing. Good Luck and happy living.

I quit by going to McDonalds and getting some straws (they're the same width or very close to a cigarette) and cutting them to be the same length as what I smoked. Then I took a strip of napkin about an inch wide, rolled it up and stuffed it into the straw. It takes a little experimenting but you can get it tight enough to make the same restricted air-flow as a cigarette. Carry several of these with you at all times. When the urge for a cigarette becomes overwhelming, SIT DOWN---that's an important part of it or at least was for me---and smoke one of these until the urge passes. They can be used anywhere and simple as it sounds, it does work.
    Also, remember that as with any other addiction the urges will come back for a long long time they'll just get further and further apart. Also, identify the places and situations that you normally smoke. Avoid the ones you can and grab the straws for the ones you can't. I also joined a pretty good church around the same time and that's whats kept me off the cigs.
    If no one ever experimented we'd all still be making 4 patches.

you can do it.......drink lots of water, the nicotine will leave your system in 3 days, it's the hand to mouth syndrome that you have to beat...that takes a few months, but then suddenly it will be over and the demons will be gone........

all of the above mentioned sources for fabric are great........if your can, do some hand work, like yo-yos or applique or something, but not to tedious, that may cause a relapse of the hand-to-mouth thing......good luck if I can do it anyone can....been over 6 yrs now, wow all the money I have saved to buy fabric with.........

Good luck, I will keep you in my thoughts as you quit smoking, it can be difficult but can be done and you will have money in your pocket for fabric!! I really like Connecting Threads, they have a good selection of fabric, the used stores in our town always have fabric to sell. Also, check out your local quilt guild. Some guilds have tons of fabric to share. JoAnn's always seems to have some sort of a sale going on or at least a 40% off coupon which helps a lot.

Congrats on the healthy decision and good luck. Check out items for sale on this board for some great deals.
    Linda

Good luck quitting smoking. I've never smoked and have heard it is really difficult to quit....you can do it! I purchase from Connecting Threads...they have decent prices and are having a sale now.
    Lynn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast