Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Rowenta

My sunbeam is just starting to sputter and isn't getting hot enough anymore, but it lasted over 20 years...over 3 years quilting. I've spent the last 2 days looking at iron reviews, and am now more confused than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by denise0570 View Post
    I had 2 Rowentas and NEVER again!!! The only thing they were good for was leaking! I bought a T-Fal - love it!!!
    After drooling for a few years over owning a Rowenta I finally got one too! Started leaking after a few months. Brought out my old T-Fal, which I used for fusing and it was quite sticky on bottom. Cleaned it and I am back in business with my T-Fal. Will not buy Rowenta again. I got it out of my system.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
    I just bought a new Rowenta...the one with all the steam holes. I had bought the Sunbeam but they didn't have one on display for me to "feel". That iron was huge and heavy and I ended up returning it for the Rowenta. One thing I noticed as I read the directions (yes!! I actually did!!) was to only fill the iron with the stated water type WITH the iron turned off and the steam button push all the way to dry. Hmmm, that sounded crazy to me but it doesn't spit (yet). Then you plug the iron in, set the temp and push the steam lever to steam! The directions also said if the auto shut off light goes red, to wait until it turns dark again before trying to use the steam AND not to push the burst of steam too often or too much. We shall see how long this one goes without spitting and sputtering!!

Those darn directions!! LOL
    Hmmm...I need to go back and look at my directions. Thanks for posting this.

I used to love my Rowenta.... nice and heavy, lots of steam. After about a year I started having trouble with leaking and sputtering so I tried to have it fixed. Lots of luck!!!! No one touched Rowentas. So, now what do I do? Right now I'm using my back-up, which was brand new until about 6 weeks ago, and it too is beginning to leak all over everything.... not to mention a few scorch marks it's left. And.... FYI are all of you aware of the fact that if you use the heavier duty iron, the one with all of the steam holes, you have to use a heavy duty extension cord with it?

Blog Entries
    I have always gone with irons in the $25-30 range...I use them so much they sort of burn out after a while. Fine with me...not really much $$ invested, and they last about 2-3 years.

Have gone through several Rowentas. They all have ended up leaky!! Now I have a Shark and except for the fact that it turns itself off too quickly I am happy with it.

I've had two Rowenta's and they both started leaking after a short period of time. I'm done with spending big bucks on them. I love the iron but hate the fact that they don't last very long. On the recommendation of a LQS owner I purchased a Reliable and love it. Only dislike is that because of the "pump" inside it is really noisy and very heavy. My arthritic wrists don't like ironing with it for very long. All in all it's one of the best steam irons I've had over the years. Very pricey but it does a great job. On the cheaper side, I've used the inexpensive Black & Decker models and they work really well for quick pressing and do a fairly decent job.
    Miss Rita

I have a rowenta and LOVE it, it get hot enough and with the steam I don't have to press fabric over and over to get the wrinkles out, I did just buy a Eliso on clearance at JoAnn's by my house is going out of business, I got it for about 39.00 I haven't plugged it in yet, because I love my Rowneta.
    Dyan

I've buried two of those buggars. Very happy with my Black and Decker.
    Life is made up of bits and pieces. You won't know how it'll turn out till its done.

I had a Shark and it leaked terrible then I bought an expensive Rowenta and that wasn't much better I don't know what it is with irons anymore but they just don't seem to be like they used to.
    Hope you have luck with your next one.
    "BIG SKY COUNTRY"

My Rowenta finally died as well, threw it in the trash yesterday. I bought a vintage GE iron from a 2nd hand store, it heats up fast, gets super hot, steams great and doesn't leak or shut off. Price $4!!!

I have gone through 4 'expensive' irons - 3 Rowenta's and my favorite - a 'European Pro' - while my son has, and uses almost daily, the same $10 Black & Decker that I got him when he went to college 25 years ago!

I have owned many irons over the years. I liked my Rowenta, but now use a Black & Decker cheapie. One rule of thumb that an old tailor (been tailoring for 65 years!)told me is to never, ever, ever add water to an iron! If you want steam, spray your fabric with water. Adding water to an iron will cause mineral deposits to build up inside causing leaking. Depending on how hard/soft your water is, this can take weeks, months or years to cause. Steam irons are a convenience, true, but once you get used to spritzing, sprinkling or spraying your fabric before you iron, it's no harder and your iron will last forever. Remember what our moms and grandmoms did...they spritzed, sprinkled or sprayed as they never had steam irons. How many of us still have mom's dry irons? I'd bet that most, if not all, are still working. I even iron my DH's dress shirts using dry iron and spraying fabric. (Yes, I know, why do I iron shirts when the laundry will do them???) One other benefit...dry irons tend to be cheaper since there are less mechanical parts to them. I also find that they are better built because of the less parts. You can use any iron as a dry iron...just don't fill it with water. I will never go back to using a steam iron. This is just my opinion but it works for me. Hope this helps somewhat.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Blog Entries
    I am on my 2nd Rowenta steam iron. I bought it at a discount store well over 5 years ago. Works fine and can use any kind of water for steam. No problems so far and it puts out a good amount of steam when I need it.

I have 2 Tfal irons & both have tons of steam. The 1 that has the auto off feature is a pain sometimes but the one I have that does not have the auto off feature is not. Both have tons of steam though & prices are much better than Rowenta irons.
    Dance like no one is watching

I had a Shark before my Rowenta. I miss the Shark and I loved that it came with a long cord. I'm not as impressed with the Rowenta. It seems to leak water all the time although it does have good steam.

I have had my Rowenta for 14 years now and use it regularly without any problems at all.
    I use the steam a lot but also sometimes use it dry with a spray bottle.
    I love the heaviness of the iron and how well it sets seams.....Would I buy another Rowenta?
    You bet I would

I had leaking with my first Rowents and found that itcouldn't handle my hard water. Mixing my water half and half with distilled water made it work much better-no leaking. I buy new ones with coupons at Joanns. Love the steam.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crqltr View Post
    I was in home depot and they had a shark iron on sale. I bought it because I could not keep the sole plate on my rowenta clean. I like the shark better, better steam.
    My newer Rowenta is terrible - leaks horribly - just not the same quality as the Rowenta I had for 10 years. I, too, bought a Shark and love it!
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

For those of you who have Reliable irons, which model do you own.

Trashed 2 Rowentas, both leaked terribly. I think the older ones made in Germany were of high quality and lasted. Not sure where the new ones are made, but they are not of high quality. imho.

Blog Entries
    I have to say that my 10-year-old, inexpensive GE steam iron is going strong! I love its heft and the amount of steam it produces.
    "I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them." ~ Author Unknown but I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
    I like the Shark and its weight but find it too annoying that it automatically shuts itself off too soon! If I'm piecing and want to do a bunch of pieces the iron turns off and you have to push the button repeatedly to get it up to the correct heat. I use a good old Proctor - Silex for under $10.00.
    I recently needed to buy a new iron, too - and I stood there in the store and read every operation sheet of all the models. It is amazing some of the auto turn-off times, and there was one where you needed to physically unplug from the wall and plug it back in again to restart. I ended up with a little Rival from Walmart and so far it is doing just fine. I, too, have a Rowenta that leaks like a sieve. Dry heat is okay except things seem to stick to it - very disappointed in that iron but can't get mad enough to throw it out!! I do a lot of piecing and running around and don't need an iron that shuts off in 5 mins and then wait 2 mins to reheat. So far, the little Rival is doing fine. :-)

Marysewfun
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

I have been using a cheap black and decker as long as I can remember, most likely longer than 20 years now. I guess with the features and benefits of the high-priced irons come more things that can go wrong. Good luck with your next one!
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

Blog Entries
    I"ve had my Rowenta for 17 years, and have NO problems, only if I over fill it does it spit a bit, my fault not the irons fault.
    mine is made in Germany, as are my Pfaffs, and Gingher's and I really do love them!!!
    Last edited by leaha; 03-27-2012 at 07:06 AM.
    dare to dream

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast