Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rag Quilt

Blog Entries
    I don't prewash my flannel rag quilts!

Here's another good link for making a rag quilt. I have made mine out of flannel and out of fleece. I did not add a smaller center piece to the fleece quilt.

http://greenappleorchard.blogspot.co...-tutorial.html

Here's where you can see the fleece rag quilt and the flannel rag quilt I made.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-65290-1.htm

Quote Originally Posted by galvestonangel
    Eddie, I really like yours too. What is on the second quilt. Is it a netting of some kind? really unusual, I like it.
    It's just the pattern of the homespun cloth. Here's a closeup pic:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lots of great advice....the most important thing to me though are spring snips (I use Fiskars) it will save you lots of time and aches! I did find a walking foot useful when working with different materials....gives a nice even feed.

Love that homespun Eddie....nice touch with the two-tone effect.

Blog Entries
    After my hand surgery I couldn't use clippers or scissors to clip my rag quilts. I purchased rechargeable clippers. Wonderful and well worth the money. No more problems getting them clipped. Spring loaded are probably great for many people, but it still wouldn't work for me.

I used my Brother1500 and I didn't find a need for a walking foot, but this machine is a workhorse and that probably makes a difference.

Wow Eddy, I do so love your quilts, but then I've always loved the quilts you make, they are just gorgeous :D :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by NancyG
    I use 3 layers of flannel, 6" squares, and 1/2" seam. They turn out really nice. You don't have to use a walking foot. I love that lavender one IBEESEWIN made with the 8 1/2" squares. Might have to try that next☺
    Were your squares 6" finished or cut at 6?
    Did you sew an X in the squares?
    Thanks.

Nursie76 - I cut my squares 6" and then sew an X in the 3 layers of flannel. I do not wash my flannel first.

Nursie76 - I cut my squares 6" and then sew an X in the 3 layers of flannel. I do not wash my flannel first.
    Thanks.

I have a bunch of variously shaped denim pieces that I was thinking of using for a crazy quilt. What if I just use the little bit wider seam and let it rag on it's own? I know it won't be as 'effective' as the clipped squares, but think I'm going to give it a try.

Do you have to clip the squares on a rag quilt? I made my son a quilt out of his expensive Jenco jeans when he wore the hem down so badly, he could no longer wear the jeans. I did not clip those squares, but was I supposed to? How much of a difference does clipping make?

kso
    Denim works, too.

Blog Entries
    I use 3 layers of flannel, 6" squares, and 1/2" seam. They turn out really nice. You don't have to use a walking foot. I love that lavender one IBEESEWIN made with the 8 1/2" squares. Might have to try that next☺
    When you use 3 layers of flannel, do you just use 3 layers of all the same flannel pattern? Or do you use something else in between?

Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    When you use 3 layers of flannel, do you just use 3 layers of all the same flannel pattern? Or do you use something else in between?
    Use whatever you want.

You can use whatever you want for the center flannel layer. I usually use white, but you go with a solid color or print, as only the ragged edges show.

3 layers of flannel, with the middle one being ugly or leftovers.

Blog Entries
    I don't think I did mine right. I should have read the directions. I cut my 6 1/2" squares out of two colors of flannel. Then I sewed them together alternately using a 1" seam allowance. I didn't do anything with the backing or batting. What do I do know? I spent 3 hours working on this. Is there a way to fix it?

I don't think I did mine right. I should have read the directions. I cut my 6 1/2" squares out of two colors of flannel. Then I sewed them together alternately using a 1" seam allowance. I didn't do anything with the backing or batting. What do I do know? I spent 3 hours working on this. Is there a way to fix it?
    So, you're saying there's no backing or batting? It's just a single layer of fabric?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    So, you're saying there's no backing or batting? It's just a single layer of fabric?
    Yep. :( What have I done?

Blog Entries
    I'm gonna have to tear it all out, aren't it? ::sigh::

Blog Entries
    I'm gonna have to tear it all out, aren't it? ::sigh::
    Anybody?

Yes, sounds like you will need to start over. Take 3 of your 6" squares and "sandwich them together". Then sew an X across the "sandwich". Then sew the "sandwiches together using a 1/2" seam, making a row of squares as wide as you want your quilt. Then sew each row together for the length of your quilt. Then sew 1/2" around the outer border of your quilt, as this will be ragged also. So when you finish, one side will be smooth, and the other side will show the ragged edges. Then clip the ragged edges approx. every 1/8-1/4". Then wash and then dry with a towel or two to help the ragging process. I hope this makes sense.

Blog Entries
    My first rag quilt is in the washing machine as we speak. I struggled with cutting them though. I started with my regular scissors, but opening and closing them made my hand hurt. So, today when I was at the quilt show I found some spring loaded ones that said they were for raq quilting. They didn't work as well as I'd like, but better than my regular scissors. What do you all use? Is there a good brand, sharp at the tip?

Thanks

I use flannel, 1" seam allowance, either 2 or 3 pieces of flannel sewn together to make each block. I've also mixed in pieces of corduroy, and that adds a nice change in texture. Be sure to use spring-loaded scissors, much easier on the hands.

I do mine with flannel on one side and old jeans on the other.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2