Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ready to cry over my quilting clutter!

Quote Originally Posted by MistyMarie
    Okay... so here are some pictures of the disaster. The counter in my laundry room took me two hours to de-clutter and that is as far as I got.
    Well of course you ended up with a mess - your storage space was already packed to capacity, leaving no room for new things to come in! I've fallen into that, too, and it always looks so great for about a hot minute, but then...well, I can't even squeeze a FQ in if I find one I missed, or the section for that color is already full.

This one's going to be about letting go of the things you aren't too keen on, sorting the rest to find out exactly how much you have, and only THEN designing an organizing framework that will contain your current stash and leave room for things to move, change and expand as needed.

No worries - this can definitely be done!

Try Flylady. She helps people overcome that overwhelmed feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingle
    Ok, I'll have to admit if I walked into that I would be overwhelmed. There is no way I could work in something like that. I try to stay clean as I work but I also clean up after every project. I have found having peg board helps alot. Anything that can get hung up is hung. Keeps everything at reach too. Just take one thing at a time until you're done. Then try really, really hard to keep it that way. :thumbup: Hope I didn't offend you. :-D
    Nope. Not offended. You echo my feelings about not wanting to sew in that mess!

One of the problems in my back room is having to share the space with laundry, a wall-to-wall pantry in the back, a door to the garage and one to the backyard at the front, and storage for mops, brooms, et cetera.

This mess is why I moved out of that space for a few months. Unfortunately, I was given two large storage containers of fabric, which is now in my dining room... and on the floor. I have the toys to give to charity under my table in the dining room (to put out on Monday) and my mom gave me a big bag of fabric that hasn't made it out of there yet either. The table is a mess because I finished a doll quilt on Sunday night at two in the morning so I could get it in the mail on Monday. I haven't stepped foot in there since I dragged myself to bed Sunday night.

I find that I get "stuck" in my de-cluttering efforts when I don't have a place to put things. I recommend getting something - plastic boxes (using this week's JoAnn's coupons?) or even paper grocery bags - labeling them broadly ("things that cut," "things that measure," "things that mark," "strips," "misc. scraps I can't bear to throw away," etc.) and use them to sort.

I totally agree with others who say, "Don't try to do it all at once" ... unless you get on a roll and want to keep going.

Wishing you a good roll!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pookie ookie
    Try Flylady. She helps people overcome that overwhelmed feeling.
    Yes, give her a try. In a nutshell she breaks our chores down into smaller sections. Her methods do work! www.flylady.net She is the queen of 15 minutes at a time :)

I just spent the last half hour in my dining room. The room is about 80% improved. There are no scraps on the floor... no thread on the table... no trash anywhere. All the fabric is in containers, or folded up. All my notions are put in a container to go through later. I am too tired to tackle the back room this evening, so I will work on it in bits and pieces over the next couple of weeks. I am NOT starting any new projects until I get the laundry room done. I have a few commitments I need to finish up, but they will be my "reward" for having spent a few minutes working on that back room.

I just spent the last half hour in my dining room. The room is about 80% improved. There are no scraps on the floor... no thread on the table... no trash anywhere. All the fabric is in containers, or folded up. All my notions are put in a container to go through later. I am too tired to tackle the back room this evening, so I will work on it in bits and pieces over the next couple of weeks. I am NOT starting any new projects until I get the laundry room done. I have a few commitments I need to finish up, but they will be my "reward" for having spent a few minutes working on that back room.
    See you can do this!!! I" m happy for you.

Good job Misty!
    I sometimes get upset with myself. I am the owner of my room and when quilting I make a mess. Then I feel overwhelmed because I have a mess and cannot find what I am looking for. My room is small, the only surfaces available are the extension of the sewing table, the cutting mat and the ironing board; so if I was messy and left all around I won't be able to quilt. So I decided to find a place for everything and when I use it I put it away.

Super Member HummerGardenCrafts's Avatar
    Oh gees! I have a Small Quilt House, A Big Quilt House, a room stuffed full in the house we live in. A little in my computer tanning bed room. And then what I'm working in the diningroom. And few things by my chair in the livingroom.
    I know where just about everything is. But when I have to clean for company, I can't find anything for months.

Quote Originally Posted by bjnicholson
    I started reading a book on organizing and the author suggested to start at the door and take the closest think to you and put that away or separate it from the rest. But only work for 45 min and then take a break. Then go to where you left off and continue from where you left off. That's as far as I got in the book! :roll: It was just too darned organized, know what I mean? LOL
    This made me laugh out loud...and I do know what you mean!
    Misty - good luck, it sounds like you've already made some great progress. (And it sounds like you are being a bit hard on yourself, you're juggling an awful lot of plates right now. I teach and I've done the grad school thing but not with a husband who was deployed or little kids).

Quote Originally Posted by lots2do
    Misty - good luck, it sounds like you've already made some great progress. (And it sounds like you are being a bit hard on yourself, you're juggling an awful lot of plates right now. I teach and I've done the grad school thing but not with a husband who was deployed or little kids).
    Thanks for the encouragement!

I shouldn't have started those classes... but they were free since my husband is in the military and he is retiring in October, so I figured I better take advantage of the free classes.

I already have my masters... but since I need to make a few more $$$ to support my quilting habit, I need to get those classes done. :P

My husband keeps telling me to hire a cleaning lady so I can focus on getting organized instead of cleaning house. I am seriously thinking of taking him up on that!!! It just makes me nervous having another person in my house that is not a "guest" or related to me.

Blog Entries
    Go Misty! Go Misty! Go Misty! Congratulations on your progress thus far. Keep at it girl... it will be soooo worth it.

I know exactly what you mean about being overwhelmed. I am a very organized person HOWEVER I had let my sewing area (huge area in my basement) get in a wreck.... big time. It got to where I just did not want to enter there at all. About 4 months ago, I decided to tackle the disaster area. Oh my goodness.... I had many overwhelming moments. When I could feel that overwhelming feeling start to creep in.... I walked away and came back maybe later that day... or even a day or two later. I held tight to the belief that it will be worth it.

Here is my advice...... Upon re-organizing, I realized that I had tons of fabric in multiple tubs that I never opened. The old addage.... "out of sight out of mind" became real to me. I had fabric that I completely forgot about. Enough of this!!!

I scoped a plan to make my place MY refuge.... a place where I would enjoy being. I painted the walls a cheery yellow. Bought bookcases so that I could store my fabric and be able to easily see exactly what I had. Not only do I have quilt fabric, I also have garment and upholstery fabric. My notions, cutting tools, rulers, thread, etc. all have a specific place. It is HEAVENLY!!! I love it and can truly enjoy working on my projects.

I encourage you to scope out ways to organize and pick what will work best for you. btw.... my sewing, cutting and ironing table is a very large door on two (2 drawer) filing cabinets. It is ideal for me. It is large enough to have each of those stations within reach of one another and I keep the critical/must have items in the filing cabinets.

Think outside the box. There are many, many options and ideas out there on the web and on this QB.

Good luck! Keep on keepin' on sister!

Quote Originally Posted by lots2do
    Thanks for the encouragement!

I shouldn't have started those classes... but they were free since my husband is in the military and he is retiring in October, so I figured I better take advantage of the free classes.

I already have my masters... but since I need to make a few more $$$ to support my quilting habit, I need to get those classes done. :P

My husband keeps telling me to hire a cleaning lady so I can focus on getting organized instead of cleaning house. I am seriously thinking of taking him up on that!!! It just makes me nervous having another person in my house that is not a "guest" or related to me.
    Your husband is right hire a cleaning lady and enjoys your self. I did and now am a happier person to be around and I even like myself. Maybe while your mom is there she will do your daily chores and let you work on organizing your sewing. It won’t hurt to ask for some help. :thumbup:

I honestly don't think you should have someone else organize it. If it is too much for you, start slowly as someone suggested. Recently (The past 3 months) I have organized everything in my quilt room and I was truly overwhelmed. The first thing you need is some sorting bins to start separating as was suggested, notions in one, tools in another and fabric in another.

Now, you may wonder why I suggested to sort it yourself? I found that when I did, I was reaquainted with all the fabrics I had and when I organized them, I did it by color then by size. I reorganized all my tools by tower bins and found enough room to set up another machine. I am happy now and not overwhelmed when I look in my quilt room. I LIKE spending time in there because I KNOW where everything is. If someone else does organize it, you will still be searching for things because You WERE NOT the one that organized it.

AFTER I refolded and sorted all the fabrics below.
    Name:  Attachment-130162.jpe
Views: 13
Size:  123.0 KB

BEFORE I sorted all my fabrics and got more organized.
    Name:  Attachment-130688.jpe
Views: 10
Size:  120.0 KB

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    From what you wrote I think you are the PERFECT quilter!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jill
    If my sewing room gets messy, it drives me crazy and I won't do anything until I get it cleaned up again. At the end of every day I put things where they belong so that I don't walk into a mess the next day. When I set up my room I took everything that I used and separated them according to categories: rulers with rulers, pins with pins, etc. Then I bought a few vinyl drawers and the things I saved I put in drawers according to category. Everything I use is in this room, I don't have it scattered throughout the house. If I had extras I decided whether I'd keep it or donate it to a quilting friend, Goodwill, etc. I think the most important thing for me is the straightening the room at the end of the day. Surely wish I could help you get it cleaned and organized!
    That is what I do, I was wondering if I was the only one lol

Banned
    Blog Entries
    how about this, when you go down to get something, don't go empty handed? Keep a basket close by and fill it up with things to put away before you bring more up!

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    how about this, when you go down to get something, don't go empty handed? Keep a basket close by and fill it up with things to put away before you bring more up!
    This is a great suggestion. A stair basket is handy. It sits on two levels of stairs perfectly with a handle. Fill it up before you carry it down. When you finish with an item put it in the basket. Then each time you go up and down it will do it's job without you having to think so much about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Misty: Please go ahead and try a cleaning person, at least for a couple of months. I had a variety of folks clean my house when I was working fulltime. None of them were perfect, but at least all of the bathrooms were clean at the same time, the kitchen floor was clean, and the carpets were all vacuumed. And, the evening before cleaning day, there was lots of energy to pick up the clutter! Try it, you might like it!

No, most quilters areas are messy. My DH laughs b/c he says he doesn't know how I can find anything. But when he asks he thinks it's funny cause 9 out 10 times I can go straight to it. :thumbup:

I honestly think that if my mom cleaned up my laundry room, two-thirds of my stuff would be GONE!

My mom is very critical. I doubt there is a time she has come here where she doesn't give me "advice" about what I need to do. I try not to let it bother me, but I don't go out of my way to encourage it by asking her for help.

This is my guest room, where I keep a large part of my stash. It is much more organized than the rest of my quilting spaces. I would LOVE to have a room to dedicate to quilting, but until my kids are grown and gone, I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

My quilt frame is hiding under the fabric...
    Name:  Attachment-135126.jpe
Views: 19
Size:  48.5 KB

Where I keep all my large backing fabric. I have two more bookcases with fabric on them to the left.
    Name:  Attachment-135127.jpe
Views: 14
Size:  37.9 KB

Good luck! Sounds like you're off to a good start.

You ROCK MISTY! You can do it and you will feel so much better about knowing Where your things are and that you did it. It is a reward just for you.

What is it that you use to wrap your fabric on Misty? I have seen those High Dollar wrapping boards but would rather spend my money on fabric. Anybody else using anything different for wrapping their fabric?

Goodness, no, you're not the only one. I organize mine, then I think of something I need. I go back, pull it out and if I don't use it all it's not put back where it came from so often. I didn't use to be this way, but I guess as I get older, I either get lazier or something.

So don't feel you are the only one.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast