Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ready to cry over my quilting clutter! >

Ready to cry over my quilting clutter!

Ready to cry over my quilting clutter!

Old 03-02-2011, 02:59 PM

I started reading a book on organizing and the author suggested to start at the door and take the closest think to you and put that away or separate it from the rest. But only work for 45 min and then take a break. Then go to where you left off and continue from where you left off. That's as far as I got in the book! :roll: It was just too darned organized, know what I mean? LOL
Old 03-02-2011, 03:00 PM

Last year, my sister and I got my fabric downstairs all organized. However, I bought more, pulled more out of storage, and was given a bunch more. A few months ago, I brought down a bunch of it to get organized. However, I haven't found much time to do that. My dh is deployed, I have two young kids, I am a full-time middle school teacher, and I am currently taking 15 hours of graduate classes, so when I find a few minutes here and there to quilt, I hate using it to organize.

My kids are both home with the flu today and my mom is coming in a few hours to spend the next couple of days helping me out, so I have been cleaning. My mom is a neat person and she always gives me such grief about not being like her. She drives me nuts when she tries to organize for me, because it always comes with a lecture.

My mom was a stay-at-home mom, so she just doesn't understand how hard it is to juggle everything I do. She tells me to clean instead of quilt, but I quilt to de-stress. However, lately, the clutter is actually causing more stress.

I better get back to my laundry room and keep cleaning. Wah!
Old 03-02-2011, 03:01 PM

Misty..... I am about an hour from you, you want to to come give yyou a hand? I know what it's like to be 'stuck' and frustrated with stuff. Sometimes you need a fresh set of eyes to see what you have and where it needs to live.

What I did....
I designated a tote for rulers and then every time I find one I stick it in there. I did the same with cutting things- all scissors and rotary cutters. I bought a couple of the plastic rolling rubbermaid units with drawers and made each drawer have a purpose. It was very loosly defined groups for each drawer and if I needed a bigger one I decided if I would purge some or get a bigger drawer or spilt into 2 more specific piles.

I also tried to pack projects with all the patterns and fabric needed for it that way it's ready and I am not digging.

Start small. Feel success with small goals.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:03 PM

I'm so sorry! I am messy also, sometimes. When I was the Exec. Dir. of a small nonprofit, I did have an organizer help me to clean up my office and get a better organization scheme set into place.

It is sometimes easier to work with someone else on this type of project. It is so easy to get frustrated and just quit!

Is there anyone you would trust with your secret mess who might come over to help for a couple of hours?
Old 03-02-2011, 03:04 PM

I lost a rotary cutter in my sewing room about 10 years ago ... still has not shown up. I loose a ruler almost daily .. now I have a few , and a rule to not "close -up for the night" with out tidying up a bit... at least put the rulers back to where they belong..... and the sissors..... and the rotary cutters..... and the seam rippers.... and..pin cushions and empty the trash.
I have a carpenters type apron that I put on when I am in a production mode. So I can keep some of my most used tools in the pockets and close at hand.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:09 PM
e4

It is easy to be overwhelmed. Start small - Think of something small you can do (like sorting fabric and notions as already mentioned taking one box or stack). Set a goal of each day or each week to tackle one stack or bin. Organize anyway you want, but if you aren't a very organized person, start simple and just get a box for notions, a box for threads (or rulers or whatever you have a lot of), and a box or laundry basket for fabrics.

Fold your fabrics into the same size pieces (there are several tutorials on this board or look on youtube for "fabric stash folding" - there are videos. I didn't think I needed this until I realized all my different size folds meant I couldn't see what was underneath other fabrics.

Once you fold the fabric (its a really boring task, but essential), stack it up against a wall somewhere and let it sit until you are ready to separate by color or however you want.

Again, slow and easy - don't stress over the current mess - that gets you no where. Small steps and before you know it you will be more organized.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:10 PM

Okay... so here are some pictures of the disaster. The counter in my laundry room took me two hours to de-clutter and that is as far as I got.

This is how it looks now
[ATTACH=CONFIG]117051[/ATTACH]

My dining room table
[ATTACH=CONFIG]117290[/ATTACH]

The mess... in my dining room
[ATTACH=CONFIG]117392[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-117046.jpe   attachment-117047.jpe   attachment-117285.jpe   attachment-117387.jpe  
Old 03-02-2011, 03:10 PM
cjr

My fabric migrates also. I cut on the kitchen table. Right now I have a machine on the dining room table because I'm quilting a large quilt. It is working very well, but other quilting things have migrated there.

Suggestion for you, that I try to do. When you are going to storage area take one piece of fabric with you and put it in its home.

Good Luck, It is very easy for our many projects and many fabrics to overwhelm us. Believe me I have been there.

Quiltingly CJR
Old 03-02-2011, 03:11 PM

I am messy also. I get frustrated also. I am of no help to you but I do feel your pain. You really have a lot going on in life. I thought I was busy but not near as busy as you. I admire you. I so not know how you do it.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:15 PM
cjr

Thank you for posting pics. First suggestion Remove all things NOT quilting or sewing, like cans of paint, coffee cup etc. Then work on a table, Use that to start your sorting.