Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recycled tablecloth >

Recycled tablecloth

Recycled tablecloth

Old 11-30-2016, 06:30 AM

Red face Recycled tablecloth

i discovered a long white tablecloth in a box of my Mom's things. I knew I would never be using it (wash and iron kind) so I used a double layer for batting in 4 table runners and happy with the results. I think I discarded some a few years ago that had candle wax and coffee stains, now I wish I had them.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:33 AM

Clever! I wonder what they go for in the thrift shops?
Old 11-30-2016, 08:35 AM

IMHO, it probably would sell for very little. The is a Good Will shop near my house, and I go there to look once in a while. It makes my heart ache to see hand crochet or knitted afghans going for $4.00. !!! Someone spent a lot of time to make them and nobody wants them. A lot of them were in baby colors and I'm guessing that they were a gift for a new baby at one time. It's a shame.
Sue
Old 11-30-2016, 09:07 AM

I agree with all of you. It is a shame.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:12 AM

Yes, I agree with all of you-a shame to see the hand made items for very little cost. I visit my thrift shop once in a while and it makes me very sad to see the baby items and such just tossed to the good will. I think the younger generation doesn't appreciate all the time and effort that goes into these items. No sentimental value I guess.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

Now you can enjoy the table runners.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:11 PM

[QUOTE=Jordan;7709380] I think the younger generation doesn't appreciate all the time and effort that goes into these items.
I find this to be so true. Some young people can't even imagine what life was once was like when women made everything and recycled everything.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:41 PM

There seems to be more interest in cell phones and tablets than in actually making something. I find it very sad that so few people can really do anything with their hands anymore.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:27 AM

Many people don't like handmade. Both of my grandmothers despise anything like sewing, knitting, handiwork, one told me it was "all busy work, I'd rather get a nice job and buy stuff than make it myself." I think she views it as a symbol of female oppression or something. It's worth noting she wanted to be a doctor but coming of age in the mid-1940s she didn't have much of a chance. Anyhow, I'm glad that as a female I came along in a different time and I don't bother with making homemade for folks that I know won't appreciate it. I go to the big box store to shop for my grandmas When my friend list her mother she threw out all these lovely homemade quilts without telling me "they're just stuff" I was so sad, I could've rehomed them
Old 12-01-2016, 05:13 AM

I am not able to sit and do nothing. When my Grandparents came to visit, Grandma had crocheting along, she could talk and work at same time, so it's in my DNA! Now my MIL can sit and stare at TV for hours on end. In fact, when we visit her, she does not turn it off or even mute it, so I take the remote and it goes OFF. I refuse to try and talk with her over that noise and I value a visitor more than a soap opera.

Thrift store afghans could be unraveled and reused in Prayer Shawls which some churches make.

it appears women have golf, Bridge, Mall shopping, traveling on their agendas.