Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Red Work Quilt >

Red Work Quilt

Red Work Quilt

Old 02-20-2011, 10:45 PM

I have never made this type of quilt but I found some patterns for Red Work that i want to make into a wallhanging. I need suggestions on the best material to use and what size i should make the blocks. The pattern is just under 8" square. Also, do I need to set the red floss so it will not run onto the fabric when washed. Thanks to all the great board members who can give me advice.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:54 PM

Can't really help you other than you probably want to check to see if your floss is color fast before using it.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:18 AM

I went to a quilt show last weekend and they had the most beautiful red work quilt! I was so inspired, and I know that one of these days I am going to make one of my own. They have such a striking effect.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

as long as you are using a quality brand of floss you will not experience any color running from your floss...it is color-fast;
i usually use muslin for red-work blocks, you can either get bleached or natural, up to you if you want a creamy & red quilt or if you want a stark white & red quilt.
if your designs are around 8" i would start with 11"or 12" squares to embroider on then trim/square up to 10 1/2" after the embroidery is complete. if you want the finished blocks larger than 10" cut them an inch or two larger than the finished size wanted and trim them after stitching.
when i made my first red-work quilt i spent almost a year picking up different red prints to put it together when i got the blocks all embroidered, it was lots of fun! mine is our favorite picnic blanket...the patterns were called ("love beneith the willows") and is animated dishes, so cute :thumbup: and i found vintage fabrics to put it together....i'm working on putting together a 'blue-work' quilt now :thumbup:
Old 02-21-2011, 05:54 AM

Look at your local quilt shop or fabric store for a book. They are out there. Hancock Fabrics carry a couple of them and they aren't too expensive. Under $10.00.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:54 AM

One tip from the Houston quilt show--a lady selling patterns used a double layer of fabric for her stitching so the little ends didn't show at all on top . She used a 100 percent cotton quilt fabric on the front and muslin beneath, just hand or machine baste around edge. I've been helping a friend who has all her redwork done on a christmas quilt and she used various white-on-white fabrics. You might do a search on redwork thread on this board because there have been discussions of threads. Of course the quilt fabric is optional, just adds another layer of interest. I've done some framed red work items on prewashed muslin.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:01 AM

I love to do redwork. Use a good quality thread - I've used DMC embroidery floss and also Sulky cotton - 12 wt - it's wonderful to work with and comes in many colors. I used a varigated orange to do a Halloween project. Usually the pattern will give you instructions regarding sizing the blocks but if not allow yourself 3-4 inches extra - you can always trim down. I've used muslin for the fabric but prefer Kona cotton.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:03 AM

Here is a good link for basic information

http://quiltbug.com/articles/redwork.htm
Old 02-21-2011, 10:58 AM

You really should push the search button under the message board title above and put in "redwork." There are oodles of links, patterns and opinions. As for thread, at first I used DMC. I really didn't like separating the strands, etc. Then a quilt teacher told me about Premium Sulky 12 weight. I love it. It comes in a really dark color, doesn't have the be separated and looks good. It's not 29 cents a skein, or whatever dmc is up to now, but you can sometimes find it on sale and a spool goes a long way!