Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Refurbishing Grandma's Wood Ironing Board >

Refurbishing Grandma's Wood Ironing Board

Refurbishing Grandma's Wood Ironing Board

Old 07-27-2012, 02:48 PM

On utube Sharon Schambers has a Tute about making a small ironing board you might check it out as how she layered hers.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:03 PM

I still use my wooden ironing board. I was given to me by my Mom when she stopped ironing clothing. It was a wedding gift to my Mom and Dad almost 70 years ago. An ironing board wouldn't do for a wedding gift now.
Sue
Old 07-27-2012, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie View Post
I still use my wooden ironing board. I was given to me by my Mom when she stopped ironing clothing. It was a wedding gift to my Mom and Dad almost 70 years ago. An ironing board wouldn't do for a wedding gift now.
Sue
You are soooo right Sue. I don't think either of my daughter in laws knows how to iron!!!
Old 07-27-2012, 03:18 PM

My favorite ironing board cover is Therma-Flec, which helps to bounce the heat back to the fabric. You can find it at Fabrics.com. http://www.fabric.com/SearchResults2...3-26a376046a5e
Old 07-27-2012, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

My Mom's ironing board had layers and layers too ... when it got too scorched and dirty, then the next layer went on over top. And it was pretty much whatever she had available ... never anything "pretty" like =many of us choose now, just functional and white.

I don;t have hers though I did purchased one last year at a sale and use it for display purposes ... stripped down to it's bare woord (sanded and varathaned), it usually has a quilt or two draped over it.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I found one just like that at a yard sale about 15 years ago. The lady said it belonged to her ex's grandmother. It has a lot of history but horrible to iron on, I tried. No place in the house to display it so it looks right so I have it on the porch with potted flowers on it and it makes a nice place for packages from the mail and UPS. It's still sturdy after all this time.
AWSOME idea!!!
Old 07-27-2012, 04:29 PM

I have an old cheapy metal ironing board that has the top with all the holes in it. I decided the last time the cover needed to be replaced, I would do it myself. I did 2 layers of warm and natural and put a store bought cover on it. It just didn't last long. I decided I was going to make a cover for it. I was purchasing some fabric at Hobby Lobby and when the clerk asked what I was going to make, I told her I was making an ironing board cover. She recommended a pre made cover that they sold that was popular. She said that one of her male managers couldn't stop raving about it and she figured if a guy thought an ironing board cover was great, then it must be true. I don't remember the name brand. It was a little pricey, around $25 - $30 though. It is made with that silver reflective material. It has just the right amount of cushion to it but still gives me stability to press quilt blocks and iron shirts effortlessly. It is secured with velcro straps under the board. I took the fabric that I purchased at Hobby Lobby and made a cover for the cover. It has really served its purpose well!
Old 07-27-2012, 05:44 PM

I have one also, after taking all the fabric off, I did'nt put anymore on. I use it as a sofa table, behind my couch. I just love it, and its a great conversation piece.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:22 PM

I have one as well; bought it at a yard sale. My husband sanded it and waxed it and I also use it as a 'table' behind my couch. Right now I have some Longaberger baskets displayed on it but want to eventually drape a smaller quilt over it. My house is full of antiques so it fits right in
Old 07-29-2012, 08:37 AM

My Grandmother has a wooden ironing board. My dh's grandmother had an incredibly heavy iron ironing board with vented top I have the iron one.

On both are layers of old woollen blankets. The iron one has 3 layers of blankets and a duck canvas cover. I bought the cover and it is about 10 inches too short.

If I ever get the wooden one I will strip it to the bare wood, refinish it and use it as a display.

The iron one is very functional, and will never tip due to it's weight, but not nice to look at.