Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Refurbishing Grandma's Wood Ironing Board >

Refurbishing Grandma's Wood Ironing Board

Refurbishing Grandma's Wood Ironing Board

Old 07-29-2012, 12:05 PM

I would think this kind of ironing board would prove invaluable in a sewing room because it appears wider than the modern ones. Would be perfect for pressing quilt tops. More pressing accomplished and less wrinkling.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:42 PM

I love the look of these old wooden ironing boards. Using them behind a sofa is a great idea!
Old 07-29-2012, 12:59 PM

I have an old board that looks simular to your photo. I use it when my guild has a booth at the local historical society festival to display our items for sale. Everything is supposed to have an old fashioned theme.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:05 PM

I want one!!!
Old 07-29-2012, 01:16 PM

When I was growing up we had a similar wooden ironing board, except it folded up into a little cabinet in the kitchen. It was covered first by a layer of heavy canvas (duck cloth) that stayed on it all the time. On top of that was a number of layers of old sheets (ones that the edges were good, but the middle was split). As we scorched the top layer it was just pulled off to reveal the next layer until we got down to the canvas. Then it was time to recover with more old sheets which had been saved for that purpose.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:40 PM

I have one in great shape. Looks like yours but I really don't know how to display it. My sofa sits against a wall, would the ironing board look o.k behind it? Appreciate any decorating ideas. I also have a lot of antiques.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
I would think this kind of ironing board would prove invaluable in a sewing room because it appears wider than the modern ones. Would be perfect for pressing quilt tops. More pressing accomplished and less wrinkling.
You can solve that problem easy enough .... I took a "modern" one that had a wire mesh top (circa 1974) and screwed a 22" plywood rectangle on it, extending the length a little in each direction of the original ironing board. Then covered it for an ironing board.

Long enough, that I can have a cutting centre on it when doing smaller pressing. Then set that aside and I can get a lot of pressing done with each shift of a full quilt top.

And bonus ... It wasn't in the plans when I made it, just realized later that it'd be perfect when entertaining to cover with a tablecloth and I have a serving centre for buffet or the bar area.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:44 PM

I have an old wooden one that belonged to a great-aunt. I got it before I was married and have never owned any other. I have never taken all the fabric off of it - who knows what I'll find. I have bought covers for it but store ones aren't long enough. A nice feature is that it is shorter than most ironing boards (my aunt was short) and it can only be opened to one position unlike the metal one you buy at the store. I should probably take off a few layers and see what I find!
Old 07-29-2012, 04:52 PM

You do know what you are doing, you could try a decorative fabric be a cotton gingam, I love the gingam because it helps me keep everything square, when I am pressing. The checks come in handy for pressing a quick hem....
Old 07-29-2012, 04:55 PM

wonderful! I have one and Just staple on a new cover as needed ( I remover old one before adding the new!)