Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Removing the Fold of the fabric

I have many small cut fabric pieces with the fold crease in the middle...no matter how much ironing I do on them I can't get rid of the crease marks. Any suggestions or advice to remove the crease so I can use the whole piece of fabric?

I steam press my folds.

joy
    Wash your material first, dry, then steam press and the crease should come out....

I spray them with water and press with iron. :)

I've read and heard that spraying vinegar on the crease would help. I don't personally know if it's true. I guess you could try it on a couple and see though.

When this happens to me I just wash the fabric again and it seems to fix the problem.
    K

My iron has a burst of steam feature that is great for stubborn creases

Blog Entries
    Hello,

I used to sew clothing for people & at that time I used the vinegar water with steam method to remove hem lines. It really does work. Anyway, it used to!! :D

Good luck,
    Cheryl

Yep, the vinegar/water trick works. I keep a spray bottle of 1/4 cup white vinegar & 1 quart water beside my ironing board at all times. It will also put a crease IN fabric. It sorta smells like a pickle for a short time but I have never had a problem with the smell staying in & I have done this for years.

Blog Entries
    White vinegar & water. And my steam iron.

Banned
    There's just something counterintuitive about spraying an acid on fabric, even if it is diluted. Vinegar can also cause skin irritations, especially on babies. And for those who use it as a fabric softener, it destroys elastic.

I prewash my fabrics, iron them, and do not refold them selvedge to selvedge for storing. I fold end to end in half, quarters, whatever, and then lastly fold the selvedge sides together. The lengthwise fold is softened and the new 'creases', if any, are crosswise. They iron out easily when constructing a quilt.

Washing all the small pieces is out of the question...I have pressed and steamed and still have noticable crease marks. I'll try using a pressing cloth dipped in vinegar water.
    I just wanted to use up some small scraps...

I wet small pieces in warm water in the sink, squeeze out the excess water, lay them on a towel and roll it up to get out the rest of the water - then iron until dry. Works great for small pieces. :D

Quote Originally Posted by pocoellie
    I've read and heard that spraying vinegar on the crease would help. I don't personally know if it's true. I guess you could try it on a couple and see though.
    Yes, spray or dab a little WHITE vinegar on the crease and steam until dry. let the piece cool before removing from the ironing board. If the fabric has been permanent-press treated, it may not work. But the vinegar usually works.