Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Repair quilt price to charge? >

Repair quilt price to charge?

Repair quilt price to charge?

Old 01-20-2018, 03:05 PM

I won’t hem pants for people. No way would I tackle this project. Good luck.

sandy
Old 01-20-2018, 08:48 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]587437[/ATTACH]T[ATTACH=CONFIG]587438[/ATTACH]his is a very old quilt made by a friends grandmother. It was in terrible shape with lots of holes, along with thread bare along a couple of the folds. May have been exposed to the weather or left in the sun. She indicated "fix it anyway you can". When taking it apart, the batting had been through the wringer and it was thread bare in many large spaces without bat. Put on a new backing, and covered the quilt top with press on interfacing to stabilize all the fabric, then I proceeded to repair the worst holes by hand, covering the largest hole with racing flags, and a couple of highways running along the thread bare folds. It turned out really nice, and she was very pleased how I had incorporated the driving theme on their heirloom quilt. It took me a couple of days, to take it apart, do the repairs and then put it back together - charged her $250.

With the new quilt shampoo, you only need to place the quilt into the washing machine, once you have submersed it into a warm bath with a good shampoo, leave it sit in the water minimum 15 minutes - 30 MINUTES, DO NOT ADJITATE, DO NOT RINSE OUT THE SHAMPOO, by pass rinse cycle then Spin out the water and lay out flat to dry. The detergent I use is called Eucalan, which is a lanolin enriched concentrate.
Attached Thumbnails quilt-heirloom-repaired.jpg   quilt-laundry-lanolin-enriched-concentrate.jpeg  
Old 01-21-2018, 04:08 PM

I will not be washing this quilt. I will pre-wash any fabrics I use but I will not take that chance with the quilt. Actually it looks like too much washing has been the culprit for this quilt, not washed and cared for. Most people don't know how to do that, which is why I always give a care instruction sheet for everything I make. Thankfully it is very clean but honestly, I don't even think it would truly hold up to anymore washing.
I am going to replace the backing and binding and then some borders in the quilt that are just basic strips. Once that is done, I will see how far we have gotten and go from there with them. I did forget to mention that yes, I just go over existing fabrics. I don't rip out any, just replace and hand stitch it into place. Thankfully for the strip piecing I can sew that right down because the backing is virtually non-existent so I'm just attaching it to the batting. Also thankful the batting is intact and in really great shape. That was a good point. If I am ever giving a quilt that would need new batting beyond a fusible patch, there is no way I would take that job. That would require way to much pulling apart. Nope, and If I did, you better believe I would charge...that's HUGE!!!

I do keep a log of all my hours on projects for people so yay! That was good to read too. I have to have some way to bill them honestly and I bought a little notebook and I keep track of all potential and existing client project details, fabrics used, where purchased, etc and then I log in and out with date and time. It has been a fantastic thing to do.