Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rescued String Quilt Progress...what next? >

Rescued String Quilt Progress...what next?

Rescued String Quilt Progress...what next?

Old 04-18-2015, 10:44 PM

Default Rescued String Quilt Progress...what next?

I found this string quilt (with deteriorating material) in a box of fabric that my SIL gave me, though neither one of us remembers ever seeing it before. We asked throughout the family but no one claimed the unfinished project, so I took it apart and rescued the intact fabric and added material from my stash building on the colors in the original project...blues, yellows, greens, teals and black (I subtracted the red). It's currently about 45X58" and my daughter has claimed the finished quilt, but I need to make it bigger at her request. I've thought about adding a thin border (maybe 1/3 the size of the blocks) of string pieces and/or adding some applique flowers. The "floating" blocks were added with the help of my granddaughter and kept as a memento for her mom. (Thanks for the suggestion, Lynnie.)
Below are pictures of the original quilt top and it's current status. Thanks for looking and any suggestions on additional borders would be appreciated. Also, opinions on tying, "big-stitch" quilting or machine quilting would be helpful as well.
Attached Thumbnails string-quilt-original.png   qs-string-quilt-progress-041815.jpg  
Old 04-18-2015, 11:33 PM

Beautiful! What a transformation.....
Old 04-19-2015, 12:01 AM

Beautiful!! I can hardly believe what you made from that beginning!
Old 04-19-2015, 12:09 AM
QM
Power Poster

I agree that your transformation is a huge improvement.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:26 AM

It doesn't even look like the same quilt! Amazing transformation.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:02 AM

I like the way it is on the design wall. Sash the blocks in black then a black border.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:11 AM

Wow. The transformation is beautiful. When I saw the first picture I was dubious about a good outcome but you did a great save. I think Future Quilter offered perfect advice. I like the black sashing and border idea. If you wanted a bit of a bolder look you could put four blocks into a square and treat them as a single square with the sashing strips.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:57 AM
Power Poster

Great save! I'd take the top to my lqs and try and get a couple fabrics to match the purple and teal in the 2 polka dot fabrics used in the top. Those are the 2 that really stand out to me. I would add a narrow teal stop border, maybe 1" finished, then another black border, maybe 2" finished, then a wider (4-6" finished) border purple. That would add 10-12" to the top. Would that be large enough? You could reverse the teal and purple borders (wider teal border, narrower purple).
Old 04-19-2015, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Great save! I'd take the top to my lqs and try and get a couple fabrics to match the purple and teal in the 2 polka dot fabrics used in the top. Those are the 2 that really stand out to me. I would add a narrow teal stop border, maybe 1" finished, then another black border, maybe 2" finished, then a wider (4-6" finished) border purple. That would add 10-12" to the top. Would that be large enough? You could reverse the teal and purple borders (wider teal border, narrower purple).
Thanks, PaperPrincess. I'm trying to stick to my stash for this one...I have enough of the purple for a narrow border (about the same as the black sashing). The teal polka dot was a rescue material (one of my favorites) and virtually every piece is already in the quilt. I do have enough of the teal with purple flowers for a wide border. I'll have to lay it out and see what it looks like and of course, my daughter will get a say so.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:04 AM

I really like the change and the violating of the border and the sashing by the falling blocks! That design element whether intentional or not looks extremely sharp!