Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Resisting temptation >

Resisting temptation

Resisting temptation

Old 07-22-2010, 12:59 PM

It is so hard to resist the temptation of a fabric sale! I swore I wouldn't buy any more fabric until I had made considerable inroads on my stash, and I've only faltered once or twice. I just now had to RUN from Stitch-n-Frame's Thursday special before I found something I just couldn't reisist. Because of course you can't buy just ONE piece -- to make it worth the postage you have to buy several! LOL
Old 07-22-2010, 01:06 PM

yes, it is hard to resist. I do try but I fail alot.I am going on a shop hop Sunday. I must try to resist temptation. I reallly need to use stash only for awhile.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:13 PM

I promised myself that I would not buy anything just because I liked it and I like a lot. I have been stopping myself from going in the shops lately, because I know me and I would end up picking up something. It is hard not to buy, though. Especially some of the new to me fabrics.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:21 PM

I just got my first Joann's flyer in the mail in SEVERAL months. It was the one with a BUNCH of coupons. I haven't even thought about going to the fabric store. ok thats a fib I did think about it but not real SERIOUSLY, its been hot and I would have to drag three kids. lol.

Is it will power keeping me away or is it lazyness? hmmm. probably laziness but you won't tell anyone! Right?
Old 07-22-2010, 01:51 PM

My problem is that I have a lot of friends that quilt and we all try to get together at least twice a month to work on projects. I buy gift cards to LQS for their birthdays, Christmas, etc. My problem is that I can never purchase a gift card for one of them without buying me something while I am there. I have absolutely no will power when I am surrounded by fabric!! :(
Old 07-22-2010, 01:59 PM

well i like your control lol,because im way way out of control almost like nut on the run lol
Old 07-22-2010, 02:07 PM

I have zero self control when it comes to fabric sales. I added up what I spent so far this year and am totally shocked! I am unsubscribing from many of the ads in hopes that it will reduce the temptation. I have a decent stash now, so I am trying to make an effort to use what I've got. I know I'll have to buy some things, thread, batting, etc. But I am really trying to cut back a lot!

That being said, I did take my Joann's coupons with me today and bought some trim for my granddaughter's quilt and the Omnigrid mat/ironing pad. But I didn't buy fabric! :)
Old 07-22-2010, 02:14 PM

ok, so I am being a lot better and picking fabric out of my stash for the next quilt. My problem is I went to Joann's to use the many coupons they lured us with, because packaged batting was 50% off. I have two granddaughters in their 20's who have decided it is really nice to have a grandmother who can make them cute little shirts, shorts, and tops...so yesterday's score was: 2 pkgs batting & knits for the girls: $65, with coupon usage!! No more now until fall...I swear..
Old 07-22-2010, 03:51 PM

I adopted a policy for myself a couple years ago and is working pretty well. I try to use something from my stash for each new thing I get. I was pretty proud the other day when I came upon 6 yards of fabric from my stash to use as a backing for my grandson's fleece blanket I am making for him to take to college this fall. I was able to use the whole thing, so no scraps to add to the scrap box. I figure that 6 yards was good for at least 6 yards of new. HA! HA! HA!
Old 07-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Power Poster

I have to stay away from the fabric store. If I go there I will spend.