Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Retreat questions????? >

Retreat questions?????

Retreat questions?????

Old 08-19-2010, 05:55 PM

I am heading to my first retreat with a group of local women---Yay!!! I have already made a ton of lists, and cut out two complete quilt tops (not that I will have time for both, just in case I forgot some pieces or get bored).
What I would like to know is any suggestions that any of you may have of good ideas to take with me or any good thoughts...I know I will probably end up forgetting something.
TIA
Old 08-19-2010, 06:09 PM

What fun! I'd say just have fun, but some bring a little gift for the others. Nothing big, it could be as easy as a bar of your favorite candy or a bottle of your favorite beverage. Sharing is quilting in a nutshell. And don't forget your camera. Take a lot of pictures. You're going to be making some lifelong friends and laughing your butt off. Have fun!
Old 08-19-2010, 06:21 PM

Chocolate!!! Hershey Kisses.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Power Poster

Dove promises! Bliss chocolates!

Bring little wipes, too. Nobody wants chocolate marks on their fabrics. :)
Old 08-19-2010, 06:24 PM

Are you going with a friend? If you are, share tools, mats, etc. No sense both of you bringing everything. Are linens supplied? I bring my own jersey bottom sheet (they use flat sheets only). Many of us bring a quilt we're made to "show off our beds". Some bring sleeping bags. Some retreats provide coffee, tea and tap water only. If you have a favorite beverage bring it along. Bring your personal cup. We ALL bring food goodies to share and we even have a happy hour. Always good to have some chocolate on hand. If weather is a factor, dress in layers. Bring a flashlight. I bring my own chair. If I'm going to be sitting a long time I want to be comfortable. If you don't want to bring a chair, bring a cushion or extra pillow. Go with a mindset that you are going to have fun--feel free to ask others about their quilts and don't hesitate to ask for help. You will make lots of friends. You might even want to make it a yearly tradition. I've been going for about 8 yrs.
And I'll say it again - Have a great time! Come home with stories to tell.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:33 PM

I like the idea of the gifts! I'm a candyholic, so candy will be there! Could care less for chocolate! We are staying at a B&B in ND! Apparently the couple provide a really nice atmosphere...we can sew all day, all night, 4 am, whenever....and they all say she is an awesome cook! They provide 3 meals a day, all the hot and cold tea and coffee that you want in the pkg. If we go on Friday afternoon and leave Sunday morning, it is only $130. If we choose to go on Thursday (we are), then it is only $10 extra for the extra night and the extra dinner, breakfast and lunch combined!!! Wow, what a deal!!! There will be six of us going from here and four of them have been a few years now-I can hardly wait!!!
Keep the ideas coming!
Old 08-19-2010, 06:40 PM

You might want to add a good light to sew by just in case...
Old 08-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Google Goddess

put your return address labels on your supplies so they don't get lost and you know they are yours
Old 08-19-2010, 06:54 PM

A friend has contacted someone to quilt a baby quilt for her and the price to quilt given to her was $12.00 per yard. Is this the price range for a baby quilt. I have not idea. I have done some baby quilts by only for family.
Please let me know if anyone has an quoteable range
Thanks, glenda Removed for safety , please send PM
Old 08-19-2010, 06:57 PM

Bring your own coffee cup in case all they have is little styrofoam cups.

And I always bring a couple of personal-size bottles of wine (or a bottle to share if the crowd is so inclined). It's a nice way to finish a late evening of hard sewing.