Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Right now I hate this stupid quilt. Time to walk away for a while.

Right now I hate this stupid quilt. Time to walk away for a while.

My quilt number four is a Asian lantern quilt that was beautiful when it was only a quilt top. My stippling has improved to what I think is acceptable. I already started a thread a few days ago where the edge of one side got all tucked under, but what I just did now was not see one of the pin basting pins and ran over it creating a small hole in the quilt. I was almost finished with the stippling too. Quilting is just hard hard.

I'm doing nothing more today, because I might end up burning the whole thing if I do, but tell me if this idea sounds like a good one. I thought I would consider it an opportunity to learn to make tiny yoyos and applique a few clusters randomly in the borders here and there one of which would cover this hole. Any better ideas. The hole in in the white border in between the lanterns.

Blog Entries
    Sounds great to turn your challenge into an opportunity. A yoyo would go nicely with Chinese lanterns. Hope you'll post a picture.

We have a quilt hanging at our LQS that is mostly black and white. The quilter added two sizes of yoyos in bunches in a few places on the quilt. It really makes it!
    Since I gain weight reading cookbooks, why can't I lose weight watching a fitness program?

Power Poster
    Just this week I had to add a tiny butterfly to my wallhanging due to a seam allowance not being sewn. I had already started the machine quilting and that was only way I could think of to fix it. It is under the title Opps! Some Yo Yos may be just the addition to make your design unique or maybe a moth appliquéd between the lanterns?

Tartan I saw that and one would never know. Also may I add it looked great with the little butterfly.

Zyngawf, I love yoyo's. I think it'd look fine. You might discover you need to put even more on there.

Hm. I thought that was why appliqué was invented!
    ~Laura

Yo Yo would be great!!!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    As mentioned, yo-yos are a good idea.
    But you could also do other folded flowers which would be more along the Japanese origami look and in keeping with a garden of lanterns.
    Here is one site's tutorial http://craftygiveaways.blogspot.com/...-tutorial.html but you can find others by googling images of "folded fabric flower patterns".

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    As mentioned, yo-yos are a good idea.
    But you could also do other folded flowers which would be more along the Japanese origami look and in keeping with a garden of lanterns.
    Here is one site's tutorial http://craftygiveaways.blogspot.com/...-tutorial.html but you can find others by googling images of "folded fabric flower patterns".

Jan in VA
    Thank you. I'm going to attempt that.

Wow! Really like the origami idea. Can't wait to see pictures!

An applique chinese lantern would be perfect, and a play on the theme as well. The plant not the light. I would run a plant up the border from the bottom and cover the whole with the flower.
    Quilt outside of the box!

Jan's suggestion of the folded flower would be perfect with the lanterns. Thanks Jan for sharing this.

Linda

Sew little time and sew many ideas

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I remember the first time I saw Kumiko Sudo's folded flower quilts - some as individual blocks - at Houston Quilt Festival in the 1990s, I was stunned, they were so new and different and amazing! Her colors were beautiful, the context of the flowers were lovely. A friend and I stood for 45 minutes in that smallish section of the show and studied each one carefully. When her book came out I sold a lot of them in my shop.

I have her first book somewhere in my library but not all are unpacked; I fear it is in the attic where it may have suffered heat damage. The flowers are so much more interesting than the usual appliqued or dimensional flower.

Hmmmm, got to make the effort to find that book and perhaps make my own Japanese themed quilt on which to use them!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I like the ideas of the origami additions too. They will really accent the Asian theme.

Yes, do make lemonade out of lemons...but wait until tomorrow!

I once created a couple small holes in a pinwheel quilt. Three times my needle broke while machine quilting and I finally figured out that it was when the needle hit the pinwheel right in the middle where the points all came together. I marked my little holes with a marker and finished quilting making sure I avoided those thick centers. Then I put a drop of fray check on the small holes so they wouldn't get bigger when the quilt was used and washed. I looked for the holes again after washing the quilt and couldn't even find them!! So depending on the size of your hole, this could be another solution.
    Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

I really like Jan's idea of a folded fabric origami flower. Another option is a butterfly or moth. We all know how moths are attracted to lantern light after dark and one being attracted to your Japanese lantern would also fit right into theme. Some moths are quite beautiful like luna moths and there are some really beautiful asian print fabrics and batiks that feature butterflies. I would fussy cut one out and stuff it up like trapunto so it was 3-D. Perhaps cut out two of the same motif and use the back of the fabric as the bottom of the butterfly. Then you could do just the one applique.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltyfeelings View Post
    Hm. I thought that was why appliqué was invented!
    I'm just finishing a scrappy baby quilt & noticed there were a couple of dirty smudges on it...so, yes, I'm appliqueing over them, plus a few. Will take a pic once I finish it.

Ok, got it finished & took a pic...The quilt itself is all pastel baby colors (I went into my already cut squares & partial 1 1/2" strips & just started putting like sizes together into panels, then put them all together building around the center panel I made snowball squares). When I saw the 2 smudges on it that I couldn't get off; I have this butterfly fabric that I use for appliques on different things & it's with primary colors...but I actually think it works & brightens up the quilt. What do you think? So, yes, applique will be your answer to your problem. Just a design opportunity! Go for it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    I remember the first time I saw Kumiko Sudo's folded flower quilts - some as individual blocks - at Houston Quilt Festival in the 1990s, I was stunned, they were so new and different and amazing! Her colors were beautiful, the context of the flowers were lovely. A friend and I stood for 45 minutes in that smallish section of the show and studied each one carefully. When her book came out I sold a lot of them in my shop.

I have her first book somewhere in my library but not all are unpacked; I fear it is in the attic where it may have suffered heat damage. The flowers are so much more interesting than the usual appliqued or dimensional flower.

Hmmmm, got to make the effort to find that book and perhaps make my own Japanese themed quilt on which to use them!

Jan in VA
    I made a bunch of the flowers already and just playing with it to see how they go. I love it and it's prettier than it would have been. Thank you again and I'll have to post a picture when I"m done.

Name:  IMG_0201.JPG
Views: 87
Size:  659.3 KBName:  IMG_0199.JPG
Views: 90
Size:  646.3 KB

Well, here is the finished result. It is the quilt from hell that had everything go wrong. One of these flowers covers the hole and another covers a blood stain on the white. The link that Jan posted has instructions on how to make these appliques as a three inch block, so I had to improvise a bit to make them into an applique and it was a bit trial and error. I really do mean error. There was plenty of them made on this quilt. I would say it isn't perfect, but not bad..

Blog Entries
    I think it turned out beautiful. But you know what you did so it bothers you. I love it just the way it is. You did an awesome job.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Blog Entries
    If it is a small hole could you not patch and stipple over to cover up.?
    Finished is better than a UFO

Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
    If it is a small hole could you not patch and stipple over to cover up.?
    I am considering removing the appliques and doing just that, because I'm not sure if I like them, but I'm going to leave the quilt on my bed for a couple of days and think about it first. I feel I shouldn't be too hasty since I am a new quilter and never happy with anything I do.

I love your quilt. As time goes on the small problems will recede and you will see how nice this quilt really is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast