Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Robert Kaufman Essex Cotton&Flax >

Robert Kaufman Essex Cotton&Flax

Robert Kaufman Essex Cotton&Flax

Old 06-25-2020, 09:01 PM

I made some blocks using the Essex fabric it was great to work with, I had no issues. I purchased it quite a while ago after seeing Jenny Doan use it in a quilt she made that I fell in love with. I don't recall the name of the tutorial.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:51 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
I made some blocks using the Essex fabric it was great to work with, I had no issues. I purchased it quite a while ago after seeing Jenny Doan use it in a quilt she made that I fell in love with. I don't recall the name of the tutorial.
Right on. That’s encouraging . Thanks!
Old 06-26-2020, 01:13 PM

I have used linen and other textured blends before with very good results. I'm a prewasher anyway, but I would use hot water and a hot dry just to make sure everything was stable.

Late last year I got a big bag of hand dyed fabric at the thrift store. It turned out that the dyes were never set and I got out my old tie-dye huge pyrex bowl (can easily fit 2+ yards fabric) and started cooking the fabric (make sure the fabric is fully saturated first, then cover with water, squish out the air bubbles and cover bowl with plastic wrap) in the microwave on high for 20 minutes. Haven't used it for shrinkage yet, but I wouldn't have any fears about it after that treatment!
Old 07-01-2020, 08:36 AM

So a few of the Essex fabrics have arrived, still waiting on the second half. I have WOF cuts without a labeled selvage. It's solid with loose fringed strings at the very edge. Is this different than other versions? i believe someone was saying they had info on theirs. I found the fabric thanks to Aneela Hoey's blog and her book Stitched Sewing Organizers.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
These are a cotton and linen blend and make for a very luxurious quilt! I made a queen size quilt with this cotton/linen blend for my stepson and I loved working with it! It quilted up very nicely on my longarm and I had no issues at all!
cool! Did you use starch at all to control bias edges? My pattern has a lot of trapezoids and triangles.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
Did you use any starch to help control bias edges...my quilt has a lot of trapezoids and triangles in it?
Old 08-13-2020, 04:50 PM

I recently ordered and have used RK Essex yarn dyed fabric and really like it. I have used it in a jelly roll rug with good luck. Your fabric line got me curious. I Googled it, cool prints. Have fun with them.
​​​​​​
Old 08-14-2020, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Kwiltr View Post
cool! Did you use starch at all to control bias edges? My pattern has a lot of trapezoids and triangles.
I am a avid starcher and heavy starcher, IMHO it really does help control the bias, and yes even with the Essex Lines.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
I am a avid starcher and heavy starcher, IMHO it really does help control the bias, and yes even with the Essex Lines.
Thank you for replying! I agree with you, that it definitely helps and have gone ahead and starched the fabric.