Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary cutting..... >

Rotary cutting.....

Rotary cutting.....

Old 01-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Izy

Now I just discovered the other day purely by accident...if you can push your table and mat but up against a wall, then align your ruler pushing the top of it right up against the wall it doesn't slip as you push with the rotary cutter :D

I also have my little pinky off the edge of the ruler spreading the rest of my fingers out like a spider pressing down as hard as I can :D
Old 01-11-2009, 09:47 AM

A while back some members where talking about spraying their rulers with spray adhesive. It seemed crazy to me as I hate trying to clean that stuff off, but they said it really worked.

Personally I am a "weighter" as other's mentioned I press down with my left hand (hard) and cut with my right. It makes DH crazy because he can't seem to replicate it.

Also Omnigrid is now selling "no slip rulers" for a couple of dollars more than their regular ones. Does anyone know anything about those?
Old 01-11-2009, 09:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Izy
Now I just discovered the other day purely by accident...if you can push your table and mat but up against a wall, then align your ruler pushing the top of it right up against the wall it doesn't slip as you push with the rotary cutter :D

I also have my little pinky off the edge of the ruler spreading the rest of my fingers out like a spider pressing down as hard as I can :D
Now thats a tip you can use, except when cutting across the whole width, what do you do when the rottary cutter reaches the wall? you have some that isnt cut right? Am I being dumb?
Old 01-11-2009, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by saravincent
I bought one of those little handles with suction cup to atttachl to the ruler. I don't like it much, FYI. My best suggestion is to have the table at a good working height, and don't try to cut with your arms extended, which always makes mine slip. I'm looking forward to more tips that are added on this thread.
i agree. i tried 2 different kinds and the handles grab the ruler okay, but the
rulers still slip on the fabric. big waste of money. should have spent it on fabric.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:13 AM

[quote=Elizabeth A.]
Also Omnigrid is now selling "no slip rulers" for a couple of dollars more than their regular ones. Does anyone know anything about those?

I have the 8.5 x 24 and I love it.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:32 PM

It is much easier if you fold your fabric into quarters instead of halves (as it comes off the bolt) because you don't have to stretch so far across it.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Izy

Originally Posted by jstitch
Originally Posted by Izy

Now thats a tip you can use, except when cutting across the whole width, what do you do when the rottary cutter reaches the wall? you have some that isnt cut right? Am I being dumb?
Judy, I usually do what Cathe suggests and fold it up into quarters, then you are using the centre of your cutting mat..although there have been times where I have just cut so far, then move the fabric down and realign the ruler with the previously cut edge....works for me :D
Old 01-11-2009, 01:15 PM

Some of the non-slip tactics would definitely work.

One thing, too. If you continue to use a large ruler, put your hand on the bottom half of the rulter, stop cutting halfway (with rotary cutter still), move your hand up to the other half, continue cutting.

Try not to push against the ruler either. The wall trick definitely sounds like a good one if you find yourself doing this.