Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary cutting,....ugh.... >

Rotary cutting,....ugh....

Rotary cutting,....ugh....

Old 08-12-2010, 05:44 PM

I've done that. I always have trouble "tracking a line" with my eyes so I use post-it flags to mark my spot on the ruler. I even mark the "point" when I square things up. It goes quicker than refinding my place every time. The only reason I used the flags was because I had them laying around. I use them to mark my place on patterns, etc.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:49 PM

Be sure your ruler bottom (nearest you when cutting) and ruler top (furthest from you when cutting) ar on the same line for cutting.

As you cut, cut about one hand length, stop, walk fingers up ruler checking ruler line, cut again, and keep doing this until you are done.

As you begin cutting, you come into the ruler edge at an angle and then straighten your blade as you cut. One should not be cutting into the ruler plastic as it nicks the blade. The sharper the blade, the sharper your cuts.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by stefanib123
I am having problems! I've been practicing and practicing my rotary cutting and somehow its still "off".

I've searched all the threads on here, follow all the tips and still when I put my blocks together, they still aren't exact.

I put some sandpaper on the back of my rulers yesterday and that helped a lot with it slipping. I starch the crap out of everything. I'm really careful when cutting, and only cut one layer at a time.

And I am STILL getting blocks that aren't right! They look fine on my mat but, when I go to put two together to sew them, they are different!

What am I doing? Or not doing?
Sounds to me like it might not be the cutting but maybe it's the 1/4" when sewing
Old 08-12-2010, 07:08 PM

Sounds like a 1/4 inch seam problem to me.

Did you know that the lines on a index card are 1/4 inch apart? Put one line on your 1/4 inch foot edge and stitch. If it is right on the next line over, that is your 1/4 inch seam. If it is off, you need to adjust. Also, a lot of the designers say 'scant' 1/4 inch. This means you need to move your needle over by one click (electronic machines). This accommodates the 'fold' when you press the seam to one side.

Measure each section of blocks that you sew together until you get consistent. That's what I have to do with complicated blocks and it really helps.

Good luck!
Old 08-12-2010, 07:24 PM

All the tips are great and so true. One thing that wasn't mentioned is to be sure your fabric edge is exactly on the line on your ruler. It's easy to put it just over the line or just under the line. To make sure it's exactly on the line, look at the spaces between the marked lines. ( most rulers have spaces or like a dotted line.) You should see the edge of your fabric in the space going exactly between the center of the lines. Hard to explain, hope you understand. Keep trying everything till you get it right! Getting things exact now will make your future quilting experiences so much more enjoyable.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:19 AM

I think it is not your cutting, either I think it may be your seams. Check to see if your 1/4 inch seam is really a 1/4 inch. I was quilting for nearly 4 years before I actually checked mine and guess what it was not a 1/4 inch. Boy has that made a huge difference in my block size.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:20 AM

Odessa would you do a tutorial for us? I think it would really help those of us that are trying to get the cut right. I just love the board and you quilters your really do help us.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:55 AM

If you know someone who has the Martelli Ergo rotary cutter, try it out, I find this one is much easier to hold perpendicular to the fabric. If your cutter is at an angle when you cut it may be causing your problem. Also mark your seam allowance or use a seam guide when you sew. Hope this helps.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:18 AM

If you are sitting and looking at your ruler that way your cut will be off. you cant see the upper edge to line it up properly. Look down on your ruler so you can see the entire area your are cutting.Dont use the numbers on your cutting mat/ use the same ruler and rotary cutter.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by calicocat
I think it is not your cutting, either I think it may be your seams. Check to see if your 1/4 inch seam is really a 1/4 inch. I was quilting for nearly 4 years before I actually checked mine and guess what it was not a 1/4 inch. Boy has that made a huge difference in my block size.
The pieces aren't the same size before I even sew the first piece. I am working on sewing a good 1/4 inch seam, and I'm getting a lot better at that. I bought the foot for my machine that is 1/4 on one side and 1/8 on the other. I've checked it a few times, to make sure, after reading on here that some of the 'so called" 1/4 inch feet really aren't! It is,yay!

I do appreciate all the tips about the 1/4 inch seams, though!As I said , I'm getting "better" not "exact", LOL!!! So, really, I need all the help I can get ! On all sides!

Ok....now for the good news! I sat the computer close to me, and read over everyone's tips again. Then I lined up my fabric and started to cut. A few things I noticed:

1. I put my fabric either on one side or the other of "line", not in the center, and not always the same.

Solution: Putting my fabric right in the center of the lines. One big problem down, ten thousand to go!

2. I would put my hand in the middle of my ruler and leave it there holding real tight for the whole cut!

Solution: "Walking" my hand up

3. As per problem 2, holding the ruler in the middle WAS making me move it slightly as I got to the end of my cut.

Solution: See 2

4. I was tilting my cutter "in" toward the ruler, trying to get as close as I could.

Solution: Holding it straight up and down

5. CHECK, and DOUBLE Check that everything is lined up!

After all this, my cuts are MUCH better! Much, much, better! I think another problem was I was "rushing" through it. I see all these videos of people going "swipe, swipe, swipe,swipe, done! 400 perfect triangles!" And think I can do that too, and.......I can not. I must take my time!

I even started a few of Rhonda's keychains last night and they are coming out great!

I want to thank everyone so much! I think I'm going to print this thread off and put it in my how to binder that I keep.