Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary tricks? >

Rotary tricks?

Rotary tricks?

Old 05-08-2020, 05:34 PM

Default Rotary tricks?

I noticed that my strip cutting tends to go off track. No matter how much I try, the ruler will move the slightest or I’m so afraid of moving the ruler that I stray away from it. I try to use major muscles and push the ruler down as much as I can. When I watch people on YouTube, they make it look so effortless. Is there a secret to using the rotary cutter that I don’t know about?

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:49 PM

Donna Jordan on Jordan Fabrics uses a 5 pound weight on the end of her 6 inch by 24 inch ruler. You might try using a heavy object at the top of your ruler if you don't own a 5 pound weight. Watch one of the Jordon Fabrics tutorials on YouTube to view Donna cutting with her 5 pound weight.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:53 PM

I had that very same issue until I purchased a Quilter’s Select 6x24 ruler and haven’t had an issue since. They work great. I liked it so much I bought the 6x12 and a square one. Sharon
Old 05-08-2020, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by grammasharon View Post
I had that very same issue until I purchased a Quilter’s Select 6x24 ruler and haven’t had an issue since. They work great. I liked it so much I bought the 6x12 and a square one. Sharon
I agree. These are the best rulers I have used. Zero movement unless you pick it up to adjust. You can not push it around.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:17 PM

If you’re going to cut with only one fold I second the idea of using a weight on the far end. I also like to double fold my fabric and use a shorter ruler. There is some excellent advise from Prism99 on this thread about double folding.

Cutting with a short ruler
Old 05-08-2020, 07:06 PM

I use Quilter's Select rulers, and I also use my hand to stabilize the ruler. I put my thumb and my pinkie at the left edge of the ruler, on the fabric. I splay the other three fingers on the ruler. I cut, moving away from my body, only until the rotary cutter reaches the highest point of my hand, meaning the farthest away from me. I don't ever go farther "north" than my hand. I stop, freeze the cutter - meaning don't lift it, don't move it, freeze it - and walk my hand, itsy-bitsy spider style, up the ruler. Stabilize the ruler with thumb and pinkie again, and repeat.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:08 PM
Power Poster

I only have trouble if the ruler is too wide. I prefer my 3X18 as it allows me to put some of my hand on the ruler and the rest of my hand on my cutting board for grip.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:31 PM

I have the 24in Slidelock ruler guide - it seems to work as advertised, once I learned it just sits on top of the ruler and not up against the edge of the ruler. I also use the June Taylor Shape cutter. You just have to fold the fabric so it fits - if you cut width of fabric it would be fold into 4ths so you are cutting 11 inch lengths, at least on the one I have. There are other larger ones, not sure of their size. But my favorite is using the strip dies for with my Accuquilt GO.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:07 AM

All the hints you have received are great.....a good ruler that doesn't slide on the fabric, a weight to hold down the end if you are using a long ruler, keeping part of your hand on the fabric and part on the ruler to hold it steady. But the best thing that helped me with the issues you are having, was to slow down! Those people on the you tube videos just place their ruler, put that cutter in place, and zoom off. Zip zip zip and they are done! You don't have to do it that way. Just slow down a bit, press firmly but not so much that it won't move with the cutter, and go only as far as your arm will go comfortably. Once I slowed down a bit, my ruler didn't slide and I didn't get away from the edge of the ruler. I focused on what I was doing and felt safer and more in control of the rotary. I also fold my fabric and use my 6x12 Creative Grids ruler most of the time.
Good luck! And remember, you will get better with practice.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:35 AM

I purchased an oowhee slip free ruler at a quilt show and have been very happy with it. When strip cutting, I also add the Donna Jordan idea, and place a 5 lb weight on my farthest end of my 24" ruler, I find this too helps alot.