Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Rowenta Iron question

I have a Rowenta Effective Iron that is self cleaning and although I do 'self clean' it often, I still get the iron sputtering calcium deposits on my fabric when I'm ironing. My question is: can I use white vinegar in my 'self cleaning' iron to throughly clean it and get rid of deposits?
    Thanks for your input!
    Kind Regards,
    MaryAnna

Rowenta Irons are famous for sputtering. Solved this problem by buying spring water after much researching on this problem. As for the vinegar....try mixing half spring water and half vinegar then use only spring water. Sort of shake it around and then pour it all out. You could do this several times if you want and not hurt your iron. Distilled still sputters, water from the faucet sputters. I truly don't know why spring water doesn't but it doesn't for me. Hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    If I remember correctly - my rowenta directions say NOT to use vinegar. I know from experience if it's not HOT enough, it'll sputter. Other than that, I haven't had sputtering problems...:)

My Rowenta is about 15 yrs. old. I have only used distilled water & have no sputtering.

Both my Rowentas sputter so bad I quit puting ANY water in them and now use a spray bottle!

Well Thanks everyone! Your suggestions are worth trying, I'll try the spring water and see if that helps. I can't imagine why vinegar wouldn't work, or would be bad....but that maybe Rowenta's being overly cautious?! who knows, I'm just sick & tired of the sputtering and sputtering out mineral deposits along with the water onto my fabric! I love my Rowenta otherwise!
    Blessings to all,
    MaryAnna

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda B
    Both my Rowentas sputter so bad I quit puting ANY water in them and now use a spray bottle!
    Me too!

Well if everyone's Rowenta is a sputtering and frustrating....then what iron does everyone love?
    Just curious....

I gave up on mine using water. Use it as dry ion now.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnna
    I have a Rowenta Effective Iron that is self cleaning and although I do 'self clean' it often, I still get the iron sputtering calcium deposits on my fabric when I'm ironing. My question is: can I use white vinegar in my 'self cleaning' iron to throughly clean it and get rid of deposits?
    Thanks for your input!
    Kind Regards,
    MaryAnna

Hi, as for Irons, I have used the good old fashion Black and Decker. Have used it for years. I also buy the one with the extra long cord. Used them to do the wedding gowns and Veils and my quilting. will never change. I replace it about every 10 years or when my son takes off with it and brings it back with a dirty plate. 37 and still comes home for things he needs.
    Marg.

Blog Entries
    I use reverse osmosis water in my Rowentas and I don't have any problems with sputtering!

Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnna
    Well if everyone's Rowenta is a sputtering and frustrating....then what iron does everyone love?
    Just curious....
    I love my Rowenta......I have not have any trouble with it!

My Rowenta iron is about done in. I used water in it for the 1st time in a long time and turn the steam off after I used it, thing to turn the steam on and off would not push over, and it still gets hot after I turn it off. Don't remember how long I've had it, used it alot and most days I use it all day. I am getting a new one.

I believe the directions for my Rowenta iron indicating using Spring Water, which is the only water I have used in it and I haven't had any problems! I've had the iron about 2 1/2 years.

I don't have any problems at all with my large Rowenta iron; but the little travel size one sputters some of the time. I use distilled spring water in both of them.