Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
RULERS -reviews? >

RULERS -reviews?

RULERS -reviews?

Old 04-24-2012, 05:30 AM

Default RULERS -reviews?

A heading or discussion thread for quilting products? I'm interested in reviews of rulers. Not the Accuquilt or the Quiltcut. I have a Sizzix Big whatever that will use Accuquilt, and the Quiltcut board just gets in the way as I use the cutting table for quite a few other things. Clothes patterns, matting photos, or tabletop photograpy for starters .Plus the cats like to sleep there.

I like the Olipfa rulers the best so far, but saw a demo of Martelli for strips. I normally rip strips as it takes less time but they distort. At least they are on grain.

I've seen other add-ons to rulers to help - anyone tried or used?
http://www.guidelines4quilting.com/G...ml#Connectable - There's another similar that can be added to any ruler.
http://www.quiltersrule.com/rulers/index.html

I have some rulers normally sold in craft stores that have green lines over the grid on them. I'm thinking of tossing them since I can't see the edge of the fabric

Thanks

It's funny - I can cut out almost anything paper using an exacto and a cork-backed ruler. But fabric gives me fits!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-24-2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: edit title to reflect contents
Old 04-24-2012, 04:56 PM

Me personally I love my optima rulers, however its hard to find them anywhere anymore. I am with you in hating the omnigrid rulers. want to toss mine. Other than that my other favorite is the june tailor shapecut ruler, greatest ruler for strip piecing. Don't know what I will use once my optimas wear out, probably creative grids, those seem nice.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:20 PM

The only ruler I've had trouble with is the Fons & Porter 60 degree twirling triangle ruler. It chipped the first time I used my rotary with it. I had never chipped a ruler before. Joannes exchanged it for another one.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:28 PM

I went with the Australian ones from Quilters Rule. Got it today, tried it out and it worked as advertised. Bought the triangle ruler, and that worked. First triangles I've cut that didn't go haywire.

I would have liked to try the guidelines ones, but didn't like the TOS. I can try pieces and parts from Amazon and elsewhere.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:00 AM

My very favorite ruler is Quilt In A Days triangle square up ruler. It is amazing and so easy to use. One cut to square up HSTs.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:31 AM

I just bought the June Tailor Shape Cutter Plus ruler in hopes that I would be faster, more accurate, and confident to cut from folded fabric. I spent yesterday afternoon cutting lots of 2" strips with it. Since I'm cutting log cabin-like strips of various lengths from one yard pieces, I wanted to cut parallel to the selvedge. I had to spend some time figuring out how to pre-cut the backing squares, then fold the remaining fabric so I wouldn't have more than 4 layers to cut through. Once I had a cutting plan, I was pleased at how fast it went. It was easy to subcut into the various rectangles that I needed. I had no cutting errors from misreading the numbers on the 6" X 24" ruler or from the ruler sliding a bit. I will end up with too many rectangles of one size because I'm cutting in bulk, but that stack can go in my leaders and enders pile.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:39 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I bought the Guidelines rulers (2 of them with the attachment) and don't like them. They stick up about 1/3" and are wobbly. Don't waste your money on them. After I bought them, they wrote me an email asking me how I liked them. Apparently they needed to know my advice for some reason and I told them what I thought about them. I stuck them away and will never use them. I like the Omnigrid the best. But I have sooooo many rulers for so many things and they are all very helpful and I can't live without all of them.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

The one I do NOT recommend is The Quilters Rule - it has the gridded line - because of the thickness of the lines/grids

There is another one I had that was inaccurate, but I don't remember the name of it.

I didn't care for the Olipfa one I had - the lip - that some people love - just seemed to get in my way.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:25 PM

I'm used to a TSquare. We had to mat everything in design classes. I liked the Quilt cut, but didn't like the board it sat on.
It was heavy and no place to put it when I wanted the table for something else. I finally have 2 rulers that are longer than 24" . My cutting table is the top of a good executive desk. It's 30x60
Old 04-28-2012, 04:33 PM

I bought this ruler also and absolutely Love it. I can cut my strips and small squares and rectangles so much faster; and they are accurate!!!

Originally Posted by elizajo View Post
I just bought the June Tailor Shape Cutter Plus ruler in hopes that I would be faster, more accurate, and confident to cut from folded fabric. I spent yesterday afternoon cutting lots of 2" strips with it. Since I'm cutting log cabin-like strips of various lengths from one yard pieces, I wanted to cut parallel to the selvedge. I had to spend some time figuring out how to pre-cut the backing squares, then fold the remaining fabric so I wouldn't have more than 4 layers to cut through. Once I had a cutting plan, I was pleased at how fast it went. It was easy to subcut into the various rectangles that I needed. I had no cutting errors from misreading the numbers on the 6" X 24" ruler or from the ruler sliding a bit. I will end up with too many rectangles of one size because I'm cutting in bulk, but that stack can go in my leaders and enders pile.