Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Saggy quilted purse bottom

Don't want a saggy bottom and know there are lots of ideas of what to use to keep the bottom flat. But HOW do you sew this extra piece into the bottom of the purse? Just love making purses/bags but don't want any more saggy bottoms. ;-)

There's a company called Saggy Bottoms or Baggy Bottoms or something like that that makes inserts that you can purchase. OR you can cut up an old worn out cutting board, use a couple layers of plastic canvas, cardboard, a very thin piece of hobby plywood, etc. I make a pocket the the bottom of my bags with a velcro closure to hold this insert. That way I can take it out before washing. Just make sure the velcro goes from side to side so that coins and other things can't hide in there.

I had a box with some leftover self stick floor tiles, I leave the backing on make a slip cover for them and they lay nicely in the bottom, no sagging. I just slip it out and throw my bag in the washer and dryer, Came out great!

Wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing, Donna. I use the plastic canvas but like your idea much better.

I can usually get 3 out of one floor tile.

I've been using two layers of plastic canvas and putting them in a sleeve. Seems nice and firm and looks nice.

I KNOW what to use. But HOW do you SEW it in?

Blog Entries
    Make a pillowcase type sleeve. But in plastic canvas cut to size and lay this into the bottom of bag. You don't sew the sleeve to anything. It stays put.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie in NM
    It is separate it just fits in the bottom so that you can take it out to wash if you wish. I do not sew it in or attach it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use foam board from Joanns, make a pillowcase to cover it and whip stitch the pillowcase closed. Then just place it in the bottom of the purse. To wash take the bottom out, unstitch the end of the pillowcase and take the foamboard out.

Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie in NM
    It is separate it just fits in the bottom so that you can take it out to wash if you wish. I do not sew it in or attach it.
    Wonderful picture Donna! :thumbup:

I use thin pcs of paneling and cover with the pillow case. Works great. Denise

I use the out of date corrogated plastic vote for ... signs left as garbage on the roadside..

I don't sew it in. I start out by cutting two pieces of plastic canvas the size of the bottom then I use a piece of yarn to tie them together in the corners. Then once I get the purse turned right sides out and have the lining in place, before closing the openeing that I turned through, I wiggle the canvas into the bottom of the purse through the turning hole. I then proceede to close the opening, and put the lining in place. I don't have to worry about sewing anything extra!