Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sashing question >

Sashing question

Sashing question

Old 10-23-2017, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
Here you go!

http://www.synthcom.com/~val/Quilts/...ngSashing.html

It's my favorite method. Another tip is go block by block. Then add blocks together in quadrants rather than long strips. I square up the four blocks and then they line up easier.

Squaring-up will be your friend with these type of quilts.
Oh my gosh, thank you so much for sharing this link. I've been sitting here for months trying to figure out how to do this but my mind is damaged and things don't come easily to me anymore. This is just what I've been looking for, picture on each and every step.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:51 AM
Power Poster

Boston, that quilt is beautiful!!!

Rhonda K- thanks for the link! I saved it.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:13 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]582787[/ATTACH]
Here's a picture of part of a quilt i am currently working on. Each of the four patch blocks are 4" square. I sewed 4" by 1 1/2" blue strips to one side of each square and joined the squares together into rows adding another blue strip to the end of each strip. Then I strip pieced alternating 1 & 1/2" yellow Strips With 4" blue strips then subcut into 1 & 1/2" blue and Yellow Strips to equal the width of the rows of blocks. I then pinned the sashing strips to the rows by matching The seams of the yellow "cornerstones" with the blue strips on each side of the four patch blocks. Some of my blocks are not perfect, but the sashing strips help to square them up. The seams do not always match perfectly, but unless you look close not very noticeable. I'm doing this quilt in four sections and will be joining the sections using 2 inch yellow sashing strips with blue cornerstones. This is my 1st attempt with sashing strips and my method may not be the conventional way to do them but it works for me. (So far).
Attached Thumbnails img_1472.jpg  
Old 10-23-2017, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

Cornerstones help line up sashing, and I use them when they are part of the pattern. However, more often I just want plain sashing. In that case, a lot of extra cutting and sewing is eliminated by using long sashing strips to separate rows. Here's what I do.

(1) Create rows by sewing short sashing strips between the blocks in each row.
(2) Before attaching row 1 to row 2, turn row 1 to the wrong side. Using a ruler and pencil, line up the ruler with a seam and use the pencil to mark the seam on the sashing. What you are doing is creating "virtual" seam lines that do the same thing cornerstones do.
(3) Pin row 2 to row 1, matching real seamlines to pencil marks.
(4) Sew, easing or stretching slightly as needed.
(5) Use ruler and pencil to mark bottom of row 2 just as you did with row 1.

The pencil marks ensure that the blocks are all lined up when you are finished.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Boston, that quilt is beautiful!!!

Rhonda K- thanks for the link! I saved it.
I agree with the quilt is beautiful, and I also saved the link!
Old 10-23-2017, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
I have to put cornerstones, because they seem to shift if I don't. Sometimes I make them the same color, and sometimes contrasting colors.

This is a top I did recently.
i agree! Adding cornerstones really seems to help me line things up nicely. If I don't want them to show I make them out of the same fabric as the sashing. No one notices once it's quilted.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:49 PM

Need a little more info. Not really sure what is the problem. Are blocked different size. What is the final arrangement? Otherwise speculation as to good solution.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:27 PM

I've done it where you add the sashing to each individual block like a frame, then sew the blocks together. This works best when you use either busier or darker fabrics for your sashing.

Hopefully you can tell in this picture: under the yellow arrow, where I've drawn the white lines is where the block ends.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]582864[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails sashing.jpg  

Last edited by Peckish; 10-23-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:52 AM

I have also 'multi-sashed' my blocks--especially when there is a significant variation in sizes. In my sampler quilt, the block sizes were 8" and 9". I framed them in either red or black, to make them 11". I found the whole thing to be too busy if I just sewed the blocks to each other. So, I then framed each block with a narrow white strip to make them stand out, and then used the black to separate them. This also gave me the finished quilt size that I wanted, and in this case, 'calmed' the top.

I used Prism's method to make sure everything lined up. My usual method is cornerstones--from the same fabric or from contrasting fabric. This is a monster and I don't think I will ever tackle anything this big again.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0230-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by GingerK; 10-24-2017 at 05:01 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 11-25-2017, 11:42 AM

Wow you guys are great! All kinds of help, if I cannot get it right with all this help I better try a different pattern. Thanks for all of the suggestions.