Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Satin Backing???? >

Satin Backing????

Satin Backing????

Old 05-26-2013, 04:21 AM

Default Satin Backing????

Hello! I'm going thru my stash of fabrics and find I have a bunch of satin fabrics I know I'll never use for clothing as its just too stiff to me plus I don't go anywhere to warrant fancy clothing. So my thought is to use it on the backs of wall hangings. Has anyone used stiff satin fabric for their backings and if so, have any suggestions when I go to quilt it on my Innova?

I'm just trying to use up what I have around here. Wish I had a navy blue or burgundy as I'm in the process of making new coverings for my dining room chairs. Plan to quilt them and the soft shine would have looked great. All my satins are in pastel colors.

Thanks for any advice.

Suz in Iowa
Old 05-26-2013, 04:24 AM

Interesting. Let us know if there's any problems like snagging. But, I guess if there is and it's a wall hanging, no one will see it. Also, what size needle would you need to use and would there be little holes left in the fabric?
Old 05-26-2013, 04:44 AM

Try it on a small wallhanging and see how you like it. Since you don't wash wallhangings very often perhaps it wouldn't be much of a problem.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:08 AM

I've LA quilted baby quilts that used satin as a backing and had no problem with the larger needle used in LA quilting. The satin was soft though so I don't know how the heavier stiffer satin would look. The only way to really know is to try it on the back of a wallhanging-the only one who will see it is you. Give it a try and let us know how it turns out.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

if your satin is a natural fiber (like a cotton satin) you can dye it a darker color to use for your chairs...polyesters don't take the dyes but natural fibers dye well- if it is slippery you might want to add a fusible stabilizer- but for backings the (slipperiness) may make quilting much easier. use a nice new sharp needle, a fine thread (I generally use a silk thread when sewing silks, satins, velvets) you might just find you love using satins in your quilting