Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
satin quilt >

satin quilt

satin quilt

Old 04-17-2012, 09:28 AM

Default satin quilt

I have about 11 yards of beautiful Barbizon satin in a peach color. The fabric is beautiful but I don't know what to do with it. It is at least 40 years old. I have recently thought of making a king size quilt for my bed....not a bedspread, just a quilt. I am concerned about the satin slipping off my bed. I wondered if I should put some other fabric on the back of the quilt or should I use satin all the way around? I planned to have it machine quilted with cotton batting so when I wash it the cotton batting will shrink. What are your thoughts on this dilemma? I really enjoy reading all of your ideas on quilting as I am a beginner! Love to all.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

What kind of care does the satin need?

Is it washable? Some are - and turn out beautifully. Some aren't - and end up a crinkled disaster.

Does it need to be drycleaned?

The only suggestion I have is to have the components be compatible as far as care is concerned.

If you use satin on both sides, it would be slippery. Also, cool to the touch.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:37 AM

It will slip off your bed. I would use a good quality of flannel for the backing if it was me doing it. Sounds like it will be a beautiful quilt. Hope you post a picture of it when it is finished. You could wash & dry the batting to make it shrink before putting it in the quilt. You do not have to use detergent when washing the batting. Just running it through a rinse would work & then dry it for the shrinkage.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

It's deja vu all over again (LOL). When I was a kid my parents had a peach satin comforter. I don't know where they got it, or what eventually happened to it. I'm pretty sure it was store-bought. It did slip off the bed occasionally, but it wasn't as slippery as satin sheets! The weight seemed to hold it down better. As I recall I was pretty thick and warm. I think a whole cloth quilt of this would be really beautiful. If you don't intend to quilt it yourself, ask a good longarmer for her opinion. I would probably want to use the satin for top and bottom and live with the slipperiness. What a treasure!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:53 AM

My Mother made a crazy quilt from satin and velvet, it was beautiful but had to be dry cleaned.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

My first thought about the satin was... if you have to 'unsew', the holes do not disappear. My second thought was a remembrance of my dear grandmother. She was way past retirement when she insisted on buying black satin sheets for her bed. My mom went nuts trying to find a method to keep them from sliding off the bed
Old 04-17-2012, 11:31 AM

This is an interesting question; it will be interesting to read all the responses.
I take old fabric from garage sales, estate sales, thrift stores and sew them into my quilts. But first I wash them and run the fabric through the dryer. If it doesn't hold up, it doesn't get used - that's my theory. Questions I might ask myself: How much do I value this fabric? In what shape is the fabric? How would I feel if I destroy it? What would I do with this fabric if I don't use it in a quilt?
I will be looking forwad to see what you do....
Old 04-17-2012, 11:40 AM

What a great ideal! Let us know what you decide and how it turns out. I'd love to make a quilt with satin, or satin and velvet
Old 04-17-2012, 07:45 PM

Thank you for all of the thoughts, they are very helpful. I will try washing and drying some of the fabric before I go any further. It is Barbizon fabric so I'm almost positive it will wash beautifully. Barbizon was famous for making nightgowns and slips etc.. I worked there 45 years ago and that is where I got the fabric. I think if the fabric will wash up ok I will make a whole cloth quilt with a good quality flannel on the back and just have the machine quilter do her thing with it. I think I will LOVE it...I will post pictures.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:17 PM

this started me thinking.......I have a HUGE piece of blue silk fabric that my DH got from Hong Kong when he was flying with the navy (1966-67 era) and its been in my cedar chest for YEARS......and I never knew what to do with it.....wonder if I can use it like this? thanks much for the idea, I may have to see how it washes, after all these years....this board is WONDERFUL