Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ScanNCut from Brother - Any one tried this yet? >

ScanNCut from Brother - Any one tried this yet?

ScanNCut from Brother - Any one tried this yet?

Old 10-17-2013, 06:53 AM

Default ScanNCut from Brother - Any one tried this yet?

ScanNCut - Any one seen or tried one of these scanner cutters from Brother:

http://www.allbrands.com/products/42...scanner-cutter

Looks really fun was just wondering if anyone has one or has seen a demo?
Old 10-17-2013, 07:49 AM

There have been a few threads about it if you do a search using the advanced search in the upper right. The other threads may have some info. for you.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:48 AM

Was at a LQS yesterday and asked to be given a demo. Well, they tried. someone who had already done a demo had cut the sheet that holds the fabric/paper and goes through the machine ... well, anyway the sheet had various cuts in it. It also no longer had its stickiness and that using water on it was a big no-no. We were told it was for one layer at a time only.

We were so disappointed that we didn't even ask the price. Figured if it could get that bad over such a short time while being operated only by LQS staff it probably wasn't something we would want.

Another LQS has different cutting machines but hasn't taken them out of the boxes to demo yet. Darn. Oh well, saved us $$$.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
Was at a LQS yesterday and asked to be given a demo. Well, they tried. someone who had already done a demo had cut the sheet that holds the fabric/paper and goes through the machine ... well, anyway the sheet had various cuts in it. It also no longer had its stickiness and that using water on it was a big no-no. We were told it was for one layer at a time only.

We were so disappointed that we didn't even ask the price. Figured if it could get that bad over such a short time while being operated only by LQS staff it probably wasn't something we would want.

Another LQS has different cutting machines but hasn't taken them out of the boxes to demo yet. Darn. Oh well, saved us $$$.
Good to know! I think there is a need for this type product but want to make sure the bugs are worked out first!
Old 10-17-2013, 07:48 PM

http://www.uscutter.com/NEW-Silhouette-Portrait this is the cutter I"ve been looking at. Still not within my budget, but I keep it bookmarked. I keep searching for pro's and con's on it. I can't afford the die's on the acuquilt, so this seemed to be the best for me since I like to do machine applique for kids quilts.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:37 AM

Looks like they used an old 5740 printer body for it.

I checked out the Silhouette. If you know how to lay out in a drawing program, you can add the 1/4" seams yourself.

I'd be more interested for paper crafts, although both the Scan n Cut and the Cameo could probably do the special appliques that you fuse on and don't need the seam allowance. I did one called Otters in the Snow, you had to use double sided tacky to trace and fuse the parts. An Accuquilt is no go for this since the die is not standard like a Sunbonnet Sue. This is a similar idea:
http://quiltinggallery.com/quilting-...sts/3518_t.jpg