Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Scraps and Threads

After I make a block or sew a seam, I am at my ironing board, pressing and trimmin threads. I had no place for the snips and they ended up on the floor. No more!!! I finally got "wize"!! Now I take a Wal-Mart bag and stretch one handle over the end of my ironing board so now all the snips go in there. It can be taken off easily so you can use the ironing board for ironing your clothes etc.

I keep a couple of small baskets in my sewing room. One on the cutting table for small scraps (usually from trimming up a block) and for threads. And on between my embroidery machine and ironing board for thread clippings. Then in the early spring I go outside and scatter the clippings out for the birds to build new homes for their families.

Blog Entries
    What a fantastic idea. I will do that in the spring instead of throwing mine away. Thanks

I too save the small pieces trimmed along with threads and put it out for the birds to help build nests. I also use the lint from my dryer.

I have two baskets for threads etc. One is by the sewing machinr and the other is by the cutting table, and it's close to the ironing board. I have put out dryer lint for the birds.

Someone told me to use a square of batting to hold pieces of thread. I have a square by my machine and it works great.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    Someone told me to use a square of batting to hold pieces of thread. I have a square by my machine and it works great.
    I like this idea. Thanks.

then i put the scraps including thread into an "ugly" piece of fabric, about the size of a pillow case, when it is almost full, i serge it closed and donate it to the homeless animals for a bed - nothing in landfills and use for every little piece

Quote Originally Posted by darleneerickson
    then i put the scraps including thread into an "ugly" piece of fabric, about the size of a pillow case, when it is almost full, i serge it closed and donate it to the homeless animals for a bed - nothing in landfills and use for every little piece
    This is what I do also.... I have several dog beds to take to the animal shelter right now, just haven't had a chance to get there.

What great tips. Thanks for sharing.

I am always happy when someone remembers the homeless animals, i had cancer, so obviously I donate to cancer, but it seems that no one remembers the poor homeless animals.

Great tip. I use a small clamp from the dollar store and fasten a bag to the wide end of the ironing board to catch thread and fabric snips

I even through the dryer lint in the "piece of ugly fabric" - I don't save small scraps anymore either, because I never seem to have the piece I am looking for and it is always fun to go to the fabric store! Then the animals benefit!!

Quote Originally Posted by SUSAN
    After I make a block or sew a seam, I am at my ironing board, pressing and trimmin threads. I had no place for the snips and they ended up on the floor. No more!!! I finally got "wize"!! Now I take a Wal-Mart bag and stretch one handle over the end of my ironing board so now all the snips go in there. It can be taken off easily so you can use the ironing board for ironing your clothes etc.
    You use your ironing board to iron clothes??!!

Quote Originally Posted by dungeonquilter
    Quote Originally Posted by SUSAN
    You use your ironing board to iron clothes??!!
    LOL to dungeonquilter!